Spy 005 vs Spy 007

Thetasigma

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think I can resist any longer before I have to pull the trigger soon. I know the XPL-HI 4000k pairs really well with the reflector, what are your thoughts on the Luminus SST-20 4000k 95cri? I think that could be a serious contender. Could it handle the 3.3A of the driver?

I know it is not high CRI, but the 5D tint XP-L HIs (4000K CCT) show color remarkably well despite not being 90+ CRI, has a clean tint with no funny shifts, and pair very well with McR* series reflectors and the McR-18/XP-L HI combination might be my favorite reflector and LED combination to date. I also think it strikes that delightful balance of overall luminous flux, intensity, and good enough CRI to see all but the most demandingly accurate color needs.

I have built some of my own creations with SST-20s and they are a good LED, probably the best replacement for an R9080 219B in a reflector light, there are better options for floody triples, but the SST-20 has fantastic throw such that the high CRI versions will throw on par with XP-L HIs of the same CCT. They also seem to be pretty consistent across the beam tint wise, with no odd shifts. Where they are relative to the BBL will determine if they are slightly green or slightly gold/rose, etc. Of reputable sources the best I've seen for tint binning is the 352 step bin which is the tightest and any of the emitters in this group should have minimal distinct tinting and be pleasant to use. Driver current wise, the Spys have a bit of a limited thermal path due to their design and size, so manufacturer rated drive currents are wise to listen to here and the SST-20 is rated to 3A so no problem there.

LuxTacGear

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for your thorough explanation. That helps a lot, I have both leds at home and will try to compare them.

Thetasigma

Flashlight Enthusiast
"Size 020, 1" english size" from Dave's manual.

Yep, same as the main seal. I bought brown viton ones for mine as I like brown with titanium. EPDM would probably be the stickiest but they tend to be a bit thicker so not sure how those would fit

bla2000

Enlightened
Thanks. I should have read the new manual as it mentions that the oring size is for the body and tailcap whereas the old manual doesn't.

InvisibleFrodo

Enlightened
Man, my Spy is the first and only light I have that I'm starting to think a holster is the only option. I always seem to have pocket activation. I wish wish wish it had a pocket clip. When you say the "lock" are you referring to the 3 rapid on-off cycles? I have actually enabled that function, but I seem to forget to use it.
May I ask what you use for a holster?

archimedes

Flashaholic
Man, my Spy is the first and only light I have that I'm starting to think a holster is the only option. I always seem to have pocket activation. I wish wish wish it had a pocket clip. When you say the "lock" are you referring to the 3 rapid on-off cycles? I have actually enabled that function, but I seem to forget to use it.
May I ask what you use for a holster?

Yes, I have had versions that used the on-off-x3, and others with the 0-6-0 "lock"

I don't use a holster for these often, but have a few different options ... mostly though, a cheap nylon zip pouch with a belt-loop, made for a small camera (I believe)

InvisibleFrodo

Enlightened
I must have been being too picky with my selection process. All the little camera and electronics pockets seemed like they where either just barely too small, or way way too big. And size does matter. Even in the spy world. But in reverse. :D

Rudi

Enlightened
Although the 007 fits (barely) into my jeans' coin pocket, the 005 fits better. I slides into, and especially out of the mini-pocket, much easier, as there is no flared cap to catch on the denim's edge that folds into the top of the pocket.
Nice comparative photos. I like the look of the 005 knob on the 007.

Thetasigma

Flashlight Enthusiast
Although the 007 fits (barely) into my jeans' coin pocket, the 005 fits better. I slides into, and especially out of the mini-pocket, much easier, as there is no flared cap to catch on the denim's edge that folds into the top of the pocket.
Nice comparative photos. I like the look of the 005 knob on the 007.

Thanks, I can definitely agree with the watch/coin pocket observation, the 005 slides right in, but the 007 is more deliberate to store in that pocket. Having the 005 knob on my 007 has really sealed it for me as my favorite light even slightly over my 005