SPY005 - the license to style

brightnorm

Flashaholic
LowWorm said:
...On the not so rah-rah side, I agree with Bernie that the switch feels "backward" as far as turn direction goes...

That was my initial reaction too because I'm right-handed; lefties will probably think it's just right. After hundreds of clickings it now feels natural and intuitive and I suspect you'll feel the same way once you get used to it.

Brightnorm

treasurydept

Newly Enlightened
Would anybody care to take a 'stab in the dark' and guesstimate the lumen output of the SPY005? How many lumens on HIGH for the 600ma and the 1000ma?

It seems that every day I look at it, it looks more beautiful than the day before.

Frenchyled

Flashaholic*
I can't tell in lumens...but in Lux at one meter with the 1000ma SPY005 I obtained these measurements :

Level 6 (max) : 1550 Lux
Level 5 : 920 Lux
Level 4 : 530 Lux
Level 3 : 220 Lux
Level 2 : 125 Lux
LEvel 1 (Min) : 30 Lux

Enjoy ;)

Kiessling

Flashaholic
brightnorm said:
That was my initial reaction too because I'm right-handed; lefties will probably think it's just right. After hundreds of clickings it now feels natural and intuitive and I suspect you'll feel the same way once you get used to it.

Brightnorm

Sure ... and then my U2 will feel backwards ... :sick2: :huh:

bernie

P.S.: Pascal showing his 1000mA-muscles ... :D

brightnorm

Flashaholic
"Sure ... and then my U2 will feel backwards ... :sick2: :huh:"

:lolsign:

BN

Last edited:

brightnorm

Flashaholic
treasurydept said:
Would anybody care to take a 'stab in the dark' and guesstimate the lumen output of the SPY005? How many lumens on HIGH for the 600ma and the 1000ma?...
A ceiling bounce comparison of both my 1000ma SPYs with an HDS Ultimate 60XR (integrating sphere-rated at almost exactly 60 lumens) showed that all three lights were about equal.

Based on that I'd say the SPY 1000 on level six is approximately 60 lumens. I don't know about the 600ma version.

Brightnorm

Last edited:

Bob_G

Enlightened
After using it daily since I got it, I have to say something that someone may take the wrong way :) I don't know what factors drove Dave's decision on reflectors, but I'm really glad he chose the McR-18 and not the 20. I'm really liking this reflector (first I've seen of it.) My kind of EDC beam.

A lot of interesting comments here, but I think Don said it all with a few words - it's not a tool, it's an instrument. Nice observation.

And the switch is backward :devil:

LowWorm

Enlightened
Forgot to say - beatiful pics, Bernie! Almost make the spy look gunmetal gray.

I'll try to gauge out rough lumens on my 600mA SPY against my HDS U60. Wish I had one of Don's "instruments" to compare against too, but that would be like comparing a Picasso to a Monet....:whistle:

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Kiessling said:
...Performance

The beam is a very good compromise between throw and spill ... it offers reasonable coverage for medium distances on high level and great area illumination in the near field ...
Bernie,

This is my only disagreement with your first-rate review. I find that the relatively narrow spot and fairly weak surround cause some discomfort when walking/hiking in rough or unfamiliar terrain. Although the beam is excellent for medium distance spotlighting, I find that the wider beams of lights like the HDS 60xr and Amilite Neo T3 permit quicker ID of surroundings and also preserve night vision, while still providing a bright spot. In fact, the HDS lights project a very superior spot that is the equal of any light.

Brightnorm

Last edited:

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with brightnorm on this one. I prefer the wider hotspot with a smooth transition to spill like on the HDS. The tight hotspot on the McR18 may be better for spoting wildlife and white wall hunting, but its utility for terrain identification while hiking is not as good.

To sum it up, it depends on your use:
Standing still and spotting things: Tight hotspot, dim spill
Moving around trying not to trip over things: Wide hotspot, smooth transition to wide bright spill.

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very unusual light.

I'm sure that some other people will find it to be just their cup of tea.

But, I think it is great that designers are going into other worlds of design that is outside the normal appearance.

Miciobigio

Enlightened
Great review Bernie :twothumbs .

What are the chances to see in the future a Spy 005Watt ??

It seems a good host for a 5 Watt and i like more (like others said) wider hotspot with a smooth transition to spill :eek: .

Kiessling

Flashaholic
brightnorm said:
This is my only disagreement with your first-rate review. I find that the relatively narrow spot and fairly weak surround cause some discomfort when walking/hiking in rough or unfamiliar terrain. Although the beam is excellent for medium distance spotlighting, I find that the wider beams of lights like the HDS 60xr and Amilite Neo T3 permit quicker ID of surroundings and also preserve night vision, while still providing a bright spot. In fact, the HDS lights project a very superior spot that is the equal of any light.

I have re-evaluated my criteria about beams in general over the last few months ... and IMHO corona management is at least as important as the hotspot. It would be ideal to have a hot hotspot that is large and gently fades into a corona that is also quite bright in order to reduce the dynamic range and make it easier on the eyes while at the same time increasing the illuminated area.

Now ... everything is a compromise ... and with the McR-18, the corona is too wide, and not the spot too hot. You need the spot to overcome ambient light and have some throwing capacity ... making it broader wouldn't make the SPY a more useful light for general purpose lighting.
You'd need a more concentrated corona to improve performace ... but this is physically impossible for a reflector of this size, or at least we don't have one that can do it.

Lights like the L5 or U2 as well as the 27L reflector (McGizmo) excel at this point ... but are considerably larger.

bernie

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
***EDIT *** Lets take reflector design to a new thread, I started a thread here:
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?p=1474599#post1474599
***EDIT ***

I think Brightnorm isn't talking about a "general purpose" beam. He is describing a specific task. One of walking at night, I would assume this is a common task for flashlight use.

The Spy reflector is good and an excellent overall performer, but maybe not the best for path walking. This is not a knock against Don's design, I think he understands this. When the Joker LED's came out, Don actually liked the wider beam, but he came out with a joker specific reflector because CPFers demands tight bright spots that perform well on white walls.

Last edited:

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Oh ... don't worry, I do not see any knock against anyone here ... I was just babbling about my thought about reflectors and beams and compromises ... and the importance of corona, where I thought the emphasize lies too much on the spot.

We are here to discuss things ... and if brightnorm doen't like the beam of the McR-18 he can not-like it as long as he wants :nana: ... while I don't like the McR-27 that much. Gustos are different, just as opinions and needs.

:D

Latest posts