Spyderco Knife Fans - Please help me choose

ghostrider

Enlightened
A little late to the party here, but congratulations on the new knife. Great choice. I just finished reading this thread, and the only thing I saw of concern was that you have big hands. Since your now in posession of the Native, you probably know if it isn't a factor (usually isn't). If you want to learn more, you should check out the Spyderco factory forum. There's a lot of people there with a lot of knowledge.

All in all, the Native is probably the most bang for the buck out there. Enjoy.

cbxer55

Enlightened
Deanster said:
I have a Stainless-grip Spyderco Delica, and HATE IT - it looks Amazing, but the grip is so slick I'm always concerned about it slipping, even in normal opening and closing usage. It's slick enough that a firm grip actually enhances the chance of slippage.

I finally put the knife in a vise, and took a stainless steel wire brush in my drill to the thing, to turn it into a brushed steel grip. It's better now, but still by FAR the slipperiest knife I own, and my last choice for... pretty much everything.

I love my other Spydercos - a Rescue rides with me in the car, a standard Delica is another fave, but I can NOT recommend a stainless handled Spyderco, based on my experience. I'm sure others have had a positive experience, it may just be that I've got slippery hands or something about me, rather than the knife, but I honestly worry about the thing jumping out of my hands just opening and closing it.

Yet another vote for the Native.

You can easily go to Lowes or Home Depot or even a shop that sells skate boards. Buy some of that really grippy tape, almost like medium grit sandpaper. Cut shapes to please and stick them on certain spots. Really enhances the grip and looks if done correctly. I usually put some on the clip to black it out. This helps the grip and reduces its visibility.:)

Blades

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have some 3M grip tape that I have used before. Works very well. Took some getting use to, at first, but did work very well.

Blades

ghostrider

Enlightened
I used some clear grip tape on my Crossbill. Got it at a skate shop. Cool thing is it allowed me to mount a bug underneath the tape.
CrossbillSmall.jpg

Cagmag

Newly Enlightened
I received a Native that was purchased from Wal Mart for Christmas. It's my new favorite knife.

Also, I am a huge fan of Spyderco's Tri-Angle Sharpmaker sharpening system. Although, Wal Mart doesn't carry these.

You won't be dissapointed with the Native.

CLHC

Flashaholic
I've check out the Walmarts around here, and still to no avail on them Spyderco Natives! Guess I'll just wait some. . .