Spydie Temperance 2

LUPARA

Newly Enlightened
I love this knife. Why?

Pros:
1) The blade shape.
2) The 'double grind' and the VG 10 steel.
3) Very ergonomic handle (fits like a glove).
4) Overall looks are very pleasing to the eye.
5) Plenty of function.

Cons: Just aesthetic ones

1) The proportions of the lanyard hole and Spydie hole in the blade; and the 'pins' in the handle.

For me, these proportions take away from the look of the knife. So, let me explain:

The hole in the blade is good (not too big) and still gives it that Spydie trademark (some people just don't like this but that's not a con). O.K. the lanyard hole is too small and should be at least the same size as the 'Spydie hole' in the blade. The pins in the handle; since they are exposed are also too small and scream 'weak', even though they may not be in reality. A good example of 'strength in pins is the Bark River Gunny; they don't look wimpy and give added 'assurance' that the knife is strong. Therefore I reckon the pins should be bigger in circumference on the Temperance, in order to achieve some much needed balance in the size of the holes and their aesthetic appeal.

I do recognise that this may be a minor point to some, but it's because I love the overall looks of the knife that I felt compelled to comment. To anyone keen on clean lines of this knife, and the simple elegance it portrays; the holes and pins show little thought regarding proportions.

Recap:

1) Spydie hole is fine - If there were no other holes in the handle it would look better overall.
2) Since there are other holes - the lanyard hole - it should be carefully sized so as not to distract from the lines of the knife (draw the eyes away from the form), and yet still be functional.
3) Same for the pins - either don't show them or adjust the size (make them bigger), for two reasons: impression of strength and overall looks.

Any thoughts?
Sorry, I don't have a photo.

LUPARA

Newly Enlightened
Too bad; 98 views and not one reply. All Sal supporters?
I bought this knife and i like it. It'sessentially just a Japanese kitchen knife and i doubt very much that Sal had much to do with it except the for writing the very Oriental theological explanation of what the knife is: "An excercise in"....something. What a load of bollocks.:cool:

The excellent blade could have easily been complemeted with an awesome grip surface that conjoured up a vision of long-gone samurai - or the most traditional bread knives which it most closely resembles.:eek:

The quality of this knife is awesome but the marketing rhetoric, the price and the design flaws are all bullshit.:sick2:

Let's have a tete a tete Spyderco freaks.....:naughty:

LUPARA

Newly Enlightened
jzmtl,

The knife is expensive; may be due to the grind and maybe due to the blade material being a Japanese proprietary steel (not allowed to be exported)?

I bought the knife for 171 U.S. Dollars - Why? Because I like the blade shape and the overall size and utility of the total package. The handle looks and feels like a French bread knife! The blade resembles a Jap kitchen knife with a twist. Not much imagination used to design it, except for the sweeping curves akin to the lines of those elegant Japanese dolls - there again, the Japs manufacture high-end kitchen knives in VG 10 steel - is there a connection? Looks like it. This knife was probably made in a 'kitchen-knife' factory (my assumption only since no details have been forthcoming). The handle pins look like the 'kitchen knife' variety; an aesthetic weakness that I pointed out earlier. One could argue that this is a kitchen knife on steroids!! But hey, the French bread knife that were traded to the Natives a long time ago work well for all kinds of purposes!!!

I wonder if the "Tacticool" phase in knifemaking has run its course?

This is a semi-custom knife really IMHO - not a camp knife, an assault knife, an SD knife or an EDC knife uniquely - and it fulfills multiple roles while feeling and looking like something that a guy can live with; kinda like an all-around woman!!

My last purchase was the "Street Beat" (now selling for about 130 U.S. Dollars). I bought it in Europe thru a gunsmith. Upon arrival, the gunsmith had apparently scrutinized the knife with a magnifying glass -since in Europe, everything is at least twice the price. He wanted to see if it was worth it, and he was also curious as to design of the knife itself since he'd never seen one before. End result? He was frustrated!! Why? Because he could not find a single physical flaw with the knife and that the fit and finish were equal to that of much costlier custom knives. He was very impressed with the little "Street Beat", especially since he knew Perrin - small world huh!

So, yes...the little Street Beat is about perfect for an EDC fixed blade that can double in SD if ever necessary; a knife you can live with!

I'm sure that someone with way more knowledge of and experience with, Spyderco knives could offer some enlightening comments regarding the Temperance 2. The Nutnfancy review of it is O.K., but it's coming from a guy with a very practical and utilitarian outlook regarding knives. When it comes to being proud of the way a knife looks and feels; coupled with how it performs tasks appropriate to blade material, configuration and length - this is more of an artist-craftsman type understanding which seems to escape Nutnfancy at times. Overall, the Temp 2 works just fine; it's NOT a day to day bushcraft knife but can be assigned to as many tasks as any ordinary human being can muster. The knife is light enough without sacrificing too much strength; it can be carried comfortably in many positions becasue of its overall size. Any bigger and beefier and it would morph into something else like a combat/camp blade; any smaller and it would definitely be another candidate for an all around EDC knife. I'd be happy to see both scaled-up and scaled-down versions produced, with additional refinements to the proportions of the holes and pins and maybe even a more comfortable grip; if that's possible.

Buy one.

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
$171 is a great price for it. If I buy it from local (well not exactly local, just within canada), it will cost me almost $280. Even if I buy it from a u.s. that does ship to Canada, it'll be around $215, and that's not including any tax/brokeage charge which could be more than $40, since a knife this price isn't likely to pass through customs unnoticed.

I have some spyderco's hossom blade which are really high quality, so I'm sure temp 2 will be just as good if not better, but in the end the price is a killer.

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Having handled both back to back at a dealer, I can say the level of finish on the Temp 2 is on par with that of the Hossom knives, if not higher. It is a well made, well finished, general purpose medium sized knife. If I had use for a knife in that size range I'd buy it.

LUPARA

Newly Enlightened
Having handled both back to back at a dealer, I can say the level of finish on the Temp 2 is on par with that of the Hossom knives, if not higher. It is a well made, well finished, general purpose medium sized knife. If I had use for a knife in that size range I'd buy it.

Agreed,

That's why I bought it!!! Heh! Heh!!! The price was the lowest I could find, but i'm not sure if i'm allowed to say from where I purchased it? That being said; I reckon it's still a knife in the 100-140 Dollar range. I'm not going to give Sal any accolades until he changes the size and design of the pins etc which will give the knife a more authorative look and appeal.

jzmtl,

There's always a way to make the 'rules' work for you!! Ya just have to be creative about it!!!!!! Where abouts in Cannuckville do you live?