SST-90, 9A, Aspheric Primary Light

betti154

Enlightened
Betti, how is your aspheric light coming along?

Progress is rather slow at the moment on my personal stuff. In between moving, resigning from corporate life, and building video lights for all and sundry I've not had a chance to build the SST-90, ahorton optic and 9A driver.

I have built myself a pair of little backup lights, single 18650, ahorton aspheric, single XML @ 3000ma. Powered by a lflex driver, piezo switched with multiple power levels. I'll say that I'm impressed with the optic for backup solutions and when you want massive throw, though I'm still not sure I want such a tight beam as my primary dive light on most cave/wreck stuff.

Next build will be SST-90/Aspheric or 20,000 lumen video light, not sure which. An upcoming dive project requires both so doesn't really matter which I do first.

If you're interested, here's a crappy video that stars the backup light with aspheric. It's clipped off to the anchor chain (in strobe mode) next to my other marker strobe from time index 0:20-0:50.

Last edited:

Packhorse

Flashlight Enthusiast
Speaking of crappy videos, here are two where I am using a SST-90 and 28mm Ahorton aspheric.
It was wired up direct drive at the time. So I am unsure how much current it was getting but it was less than 9 amp.
It was my miniMAX project and was focusable although Im pretty sure this video shows it in its "spot" focus.
My buddy was using my quad aspheric maglite.

The wreck is the Rainbow Warrior.

th_015_x264.jpg

SmokedCPU

Newly Enlightened
I have looked on CSM-360 WW ... but price 205,86$ is a little scary http://www.kaidomain.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductId=11124

Last dive in the Fjord i used one of those led mounted on a cpu heatsink in the front of my pimped farallon scooter.
I use the bare led without any reflector. its driven to 4A on 3 die, to use it with a 4 cell battery with an H6cc and a halltoggle

i did not check the video yet, but as other pointed, forget it for a thrower, its about to 4x the size of a P7 so it will be ugly