stanley Fat Max XML spotlight !!!

B dog

Newly Enlightened
I received my light yesterday and it is fantastic! I bought it from Lowes on-line for $50 plus $5 for a 1 year replacement plan. I work as a mechanic and lighting is super important to us. A co-worker dropped $170 on a MATCO light (I think it's a Surefire, it has a green body) with a wall holder/charger and extra stick of ni-mh:sick2: and this light kills it in every respect expect for size and form. I simply hold it by its' body and it's basically the same thing except way brighter and important in the automotive field, a large reflector. Large reflectors haven't been brought up much except for pure performance and absolute throw, there is another aspect to size that most won't realize or even think about, close quarters work. The bigger lamp can overlap an intake manifold tube by virtue of its size and provide a stereoscopic view, smaller high powered lights can't do this.
Gotta go and its just my hipshot thoughts
Brian

Papa Bear

Newly Enlightened
Beware of the $30 version, it is the same size but it's not an LED, it's a regular halogen bulb:sick2:.
I bought 3 on-line from Sams Club till I noticed the BIG difference, spent 20 mins on the phone canceling the order.
Ended up buying from Lowes on-line for $50 + % for a one year warranty. I expect to receive it shortly.
Brian
PS 1st post here in years, had to make a new user up to post.

Costco has a $30 Stanley dip it dunk it that is an LED version. However, I thought it was a 500 (advertised) lumens. I bought one for my uncle, and never took down the specs. I'll check next time I'm at Costco and report back ...

langham

Enlightened
Just picked one of these up from Walmart and im loving it! Im wondering if there is any way to make it just a little bit brighter??!?!? :devil:

You could de-dome it and replace the driver, I would put the batteries in parallel and use a driver that was intended for a single 18650 light. I would also look into replacing the reflector with a cheap DX aluminum reflector of similar size. The heat-sink can be changed to copper and the led directly mounted to the copper heat-sink. I would also replace the led with the new XM-L2. The numbers are accurate for the lux at 1 m for the TN-31, except when calculated back it hits close to the 120kcd mark. I de-domed my TN-31 and it will hit the 200kcd mark and probably gets around the 250kcd range.

El Camino

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone have the Malkoff XM-L drop-in for the 4-6 D Mag-lite? I wonder how it compares to this light.

superfsh

Newly Enlightened
I bought one of these a couple years ago and got about a month's use out of it before the light would come on only intermittently. I tried exchanging for a replacement, but didn't have the receipt so it has rolled around on my floorboard for over a year. Today I tried charging the batteries and but the LED indicator blinked red/green and I thought that meant the batteries were toasted.

I'm not an electronics engineer, but I can recognize some electronic components and have a very rudimentary understanding of what they do. I came across this thread and tore the thing open to see if the batteries had any voltage. As wired together, they have 3v. I'm guessing they are beyond taking a charge and that's why the LED indicator was blinking red/green?