Stanley H.I.D. and 1365 lumen spotlights (Part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bullettproof

Enlightened
Re: New Stanley H.I.D. and 1365 lumen spotlights

He sent me a Pm I also bought my new AE Xenide from him he said he couldnt belive how great the Stanley was.

PsychoBunny

Enlightened

PsychoBunny-how well did the POB perform against the Stanley HID-I need a point of reverence.

I have a 4200k bulb in my POB, so it actually looks a bit brighter than
the stock 6000k, but we could not tell much difference in terms of the
spot we saw on our 1 mile target. On green trees at 1000 feet, the light
from the Stanley looks more natural, I guess because of the tint.

So the POB is a tad on the yellow side (why that should be with this
bulb, I do not know) and the Stanley "looks" brighter on green trees and
on the barn which was brick red.
The POB did not out-throw the Stanley, they where very much the same
except for the tint (I hope that makes sense!!!).

The thing that REALLY blew me away was the comparatively lame performance we saw from the L35! I was very surprised. Even at the
1000 feet target, the Stanley kicked it's butt. It was just BRIGHTER!

Folks may say I have a defective L35 or something, I dont know, they all
had full charge. I am only telling what we saw, so dont shoot the messenger ;)

bullettproof

Enlightened

I have a 4200k bulb in my POB, so it actually looks a bit brighter than
the stock 6000k, but we could not tell much difference in terms of the
spot we saw on our 1 mile target. On green trees at 1000 feet, the light
from the Stanley looks more natural, I guess because of the tint.

So the POB is a tad on the yellow side (why that should be with this
bulb, I do not know) and the Stanley "looks" brighter on green trees and
on the barn which was brick red.
The POB did not out-throw the Stanley, they where very much the same
except for the tint (I hope that makes sense!!!).

The thing that REALLY blew me away was the comparatively lame performance we saw from the L35! I was very surprised. Even at the
1000 feet target, the Stanley kicked it's butt. It was just BRIGHTER!

Folks may say I have a defective L35 or something, I dont know, they all
had full charge. I am only telling what we saw, so dont shoot the messenger ;)

The whiter color bulbs are nice but I think the cooler tints might actually be better to see at long distances. Btw Bunny the AE25W throws far tonight I was able to ID huge electrical poles 900 Yards away in complete darkness I couldn't get further then that I was out of room. What Ive noticed about the AE is that after a few minutes of use it seems to get brighter then after the initial warm up.I no this light is still on the first charge though. However I must say that the AE 25W is like no light Ive ever had. I can walk around with it and it dosen't look super bright but when you aim it at something it seems to get brighter the further out the target is and it becomes amazingly bright.Its weird nothing like LED lights Im use to. Im very happy with it Thanks.

I cant belive the L35 which is 300+ Dollars dosen't outperform the Stanley.Im sure the battery run time is better on the L35 but I cant see spending the extra money over the Stanley.Now we both no the AE isnt the brightest but we both no the build quality and runtime of the AE is King.Im actually kind of dissapointed that the L35's performance wasnt on Par with the Stanley. It looks as though I may have to buy a Stanley I almost took the Plunge Saturday and had it in my hands.But I just knew I should wait for my AE Xenide to show today!!!!!

Last edited:

swing

Newly Enlightened
Stanley bulb shimming question

First time posting here:

how the hell do you get the bulb shimmed for the best output?

you cant touch it can ya?@$%#

seems like a tedious thing to disassemble, shim, reassemble, turn on, wait, remember if it looks better of worse that the last three dissasemblies

whats the trick here?

jon in ct

PsychoBunny

Enlightened
Re: Stanley bulb shimming question

First time posting here:

seems like a tedious thing to disassemble, shim, reassemble, turn on, wait, remember if it looks better of worse that the last three dissasemblies

whats the trick here?

jon in ct

Have I missed something?
Why do you want to shim the bulb? Is it in crooked?

I dont think I want to even try to take this thing apart.
It does not look as easy as the POB, and I am so happy with the way
mine is working, I would not even think of touching it unless I absolutly
had to.

swing

Newly Enlightened

Maybe others can enlighten- read the next!

Last edited:

swing

Newly Enlightened

it was posted on 3/18, along with other comments- that it makes a "night and day difference:

03-18-2009, 02:28 AM
NorCal2500HD
Enlightened

Id be willing to ship if anyone wanted one that didnt have them in their area. I will go to the local walmart tomorrow and see how many are left.

For those who got the light, try shimming the bulb, made a night and day difference. Takes a little time but well worth it in the long run.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic

Have I missed something?
Why do you want to shim the bulb? Is it in crooked?

Here is the difference, compliments of BVH.

And here's what it looks like:

Stanley.jpg

I'd say that's good enough for a sigline..

That is really a remarkable photo! How did you take it (camera, settings)?

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic

I bought the <4300> bulbs from hidwholesale88 on ebay. The cost is about 35 dollars (including shipping) for TWO bulbs.

Did it end up being the shorter one like BVH shows and talks about in his post here?

Here is that guy's listing page on EBay. Thanks

This looks like a candidate for 4 x A123 26700 with JST balance plug charger...which works perfect in custom Maxabeam box (4s2p) & with switchable individual cell voltage display. Stay tuned.

Last edited:

Patriot

Flashaholic

This looks like a candidate for 4 x A123 26700 with JST balance plug charger...which works perfect in custom Maxabeam box (4s2p) & with switchable individual cell voltage display. Stay tuned.

Well, this sounds cool! :popcorn:

mayo

Newly Enlightened

Thanks for the thread guys, I'm having a blast with this light.:D

StarHalo

Flashaholic

That is really a remarkable photo! How did you take it (camera, settings)?

It took a while to pull it off, I had the camera setup formulated in my head before I attempted it, and even then it took about half an hour to get the final product.

Here's the Cliff's Notes of the procedure: Place light upside down on steady surface, place camera on tripod so camera lens is nearly against light lens, set camera to manual mode with macro and long exposure with two second delay, lights out, use camera's red LED rangefinder to auto-focus on bulb and then hold the camera trigger half-pressed so it holds focus, cover the camera lens, turn on the HID light and hold it on for a minute or so, fully press the camera trigger so two second delay begins, just before delay is over turn off light and remove camera cover. The camera opens its shutter wide perfectly focused on the hot glowing bulb, and clacks shut a few seconds later. Whew! :sweat:

The camera I use is the Sony DSC-W100 (http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs...51&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=11039001), which has all the typical SLR features in a point-and-shoot body.

NorCal2500HD

Newly Enlightened
Re: Stanley bulb shimming question

First time posting here:

whats the trick here?

jon in ct

Thats pretty much the process.....Kinda. Check out the link of BVH's beam shots.....big difference after its shim'd. As for shims, I dug around my r/c car parts box and found 4 metal clutch plates out of a transmission.
They look like this. The notch fits perfect around the probe as well.
( Also, carefully break off the ceramic type coating on the probe, it will get rid of that nasty shadow)
trac9622.jpg

So when you shim the light, you might need an extra hand to engage the switch. Point it at a wall about 20' feet away....remove/add shims until you have a nice hot spot. The bulb doesnt really get to the point where you cant hold onto it...........the end results are really worth the effort.
Good luck.

BlueBeam22

*Super Flashaholic*

PsychoBunny, I really enjoyed your comparison report of the HID spotlights you tested on distant objects!

More comparison beamshots:

N30 (which should be close to the L35 in throw) shining at tree 30 yards away:
n30-7.jpg

Stanley shining at tree:
stanley.jpg

6000K POB shining at tree:
pob.jpg

AmondoTech Titanium Mega Illuminator:
mega-2.jpg

I tested both the Stanley HID and Mega Illuminator on some trees around 1000 yards away and they both lit them up but the Mega Illuminator lit them up more brightly and made them more easily discernable. The Stanley HID is surprisingly close to the Mega Illuminator in throw but the Mega still beats it by a respectable amount IMO. I love both lights equally and highly recommend either one!:twothumbs To my eyes the Stanley HID and 6000K POB are about equal in throw, but the POB just generates a little more lux in its center hotspot.

Patriot

Flashaholic

Looks to me like the POB still has a leg up as far as center brightness goes but perhaps it's different to the eye. I really need to pick one of these up but last time I looked my Wally didn't have them.

swing

Newly Enlightened

well tonite i tried it

1) led's arent coming on

2) its bright, not as HOLY S!@$#@#%$@ as a polarion-
...but its 70 bucks!

3)its topheavy, and really needs a top handle and flat bottom, like an Amondotech
...or at least a shoulder strap!

no way to set it down/aim it, etc

UPDATE- Leds are now working, after a full overnite charge. The reason i didnt do a full overnite charge initially, is that the green lite came on afte 2 minutes of charging, and i thought it was full. hmm. wierd. I cant imagine why a unit with a green led, and nice bright hid, couldnt switch on 3 little leds.
must just be coincidental that after i did an overnite charge (after using it a bit), that the leds decided to wake up and start workin.. must be a loose connection.

The power-save switch on back doesnt seem to have any real light output effect in my view.

the "turbo mode" is the first 6 seconds you turn it on, and if you hold your ear to it, you can hear the ballast whine as it delivers that 6 second 55 watt power to kickstart the bulb... then it backs off to 35 watt. It only does this the first time you turn it on after being off awhile- if you turn it off, then back on soon after, the 55 watt "turbo mode" burst shortens to less than a second.

Last edited:

swing

Newly Enlightened
Re: New Stanley H.I.D. -2 more questions=

oh- also

---the dimmer switch on the rear doesnt seem todo anything?
should it? pls describe

---whats this "turbo mode" i see some people mentioning?

BlueBeam22

*Super Flashaholic*

Looks to me like the POB still has a leg up as far as center brightness goes but perhaps it's different to the eye. I really need to pick one of these up but last time I looked my Wally didn't have them.

You are right about the POB's slightly brighter center spot, and the difference is way less noticeable than in these pictures. There has never been any distant object or tree that the POB could light up but the Stanley HID could not. I personally think Stanley has a more usable beam than the POB and a much better formed hotspot.:)

well tonite i tried it

1) led's arent coming on

Do you mean the built in 3-LED light on top activated by the black button or the charging indicators on the back? If either of those LEDs fail to activate then it sounds like you may have a defective one and need to get an exchange.;) However if you just mean the green "full" LED isn't coming on then I recommend letting it charge for several hours and then it shoudld come on.

oh- also

---the dimmer switch on the rear doesnt seem todo anything?
should it? pls describe

I believe the difference between low and high is very small and not enough to be noticeable. Mine is like that too and that is completely normal.:)

oh- also
---whats this "turbo mode" i see some people mentioning?

"Turbo Mode" just refers to the first 5-8 seconds of the extreme brightness it gives when you first turn it on (startup). It then drops down to its intended wattage and after another 20-25 seconds it gets to its standard full brightness, which is still not nearly as bright as the Turbo mode. In Turbo mode the HID is overdriven to about 60 watts whereas its standard operating wattage is 35 watts.

PsychoBunny

Enlightened

PsychoBunny, I really enjoyed your comparison report of the HID spotlights you tested on distant objects!

More comparison beamshots:

N30 (which should be close to the L35 in throw) shining at tree 30 yards away:

Stanley shining at tree:

6000K POB shining at tree:

AmondoTech Titanium Mega Illuminator:

I tested both the Stanley HID and Mega Illuminator on some trees around 1000 yards away and they both lit them up but the Mega Illuminator lit them up more brightly and made them more easily discernable. The Stanley HID is surprisingly close to the Mega Illuminator in throw but the Mega still beats it by a respectable amount IMO. I love both lights equally and highly recommend either one!:twothumbs To my eyes the Stanley HID and 6000K POB are about equal in throw, but the POB just generates a little more lux in its center hotspot.

Thanks, and looks like we are in agreement.

One thing though, when I replaced the bulb in my POB, I used the long
type because I could not find the prefered short bulb. That may make
a difference in the performance I am seeing!?
But I'm glad to here you could not tell much difference between the Stanley
and the POB either. I really expected the POB to out throw it, but that did
not happen.

Last edited:

DarkLight

Enlightened

I picked on up today, after being out of flashlights for a minute....(HT mode).......

Charged it up for like 60 secs, led went green then fired it off in the garage on a sunny day...and it was bright then..so I can't wait for tonite...

Whats the word again on the battery ? Li Ion? NiMH? will backchek thread....

Put it back on the charger after a couple minutes runtime let it go green for about 2 hrs...get dark soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.