Stanley H.I.D. and 1365 lumen spotlights (Part 2)

Tanker

Newly Enlightened
So normal that I had to return it and get another one that worked...............

rala

Newly Enlightened
First of all, right from the getgo the light would turn on very bright and then after a second or two it would dim slightly.

Thats normal. It quickly ramps up (60 watts), then drops back down to it's regular operating state (35 watts) to rid itself of the typical slow start up time that's characteristic of HIDs.

Second, it now flashes slightly and then the red light comes on (it was fully charged), if you try to charge it goes right to green but still only gives you a short flash when the trigger is pulled..

This I dont think is normal.

Tanker

Newly Enlightened
Thats normal. It quickly ramps up (60 watts), then drops back down to it's regular operating state (35 watts) to rid itself of the typical slow start up time that's characteristic of HIDs.

Thanks I didn't know that and the new one does the same, the first time it was used it dimmed twice. So can you put a better bulb in these?

Beamhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Grand opening of a SuperWallyWorld and they had them mis marked. I told them and one of the brass in suits said thanks and told the sales associate to give me one at the mis marked price.:grin2:

Patriot

Flashaholic
That was very nice of you to inform them of the mistake and it still paid off for you unexpectedly. Very cool! :)

Beamhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK I can't see a difference between high and low, maybe I need to get out in the middle of absolute nowhere with zero light pollution and objects greater than 800 feet away? :tinfoil:

StarHalo

Flashaholic
OK I can't see a difference between high and low, maybe I need to get out in the middle of absolute nowhere with zero light pollution and objects greater than 800 feet away? :tinfoil:

Nope, you'll have to set it to low, then leave the light running for a few minutes, then maybe you'll notice the small difference.

It takes a while for the light to "cool down" to the lower output level, which is not that much lower than high. But there is some runtime gain, if you need it.

BVH

Flashaholic
You'll be very hard pressed to ever see a difference with your eyes. The camera might. The best use for "low" is to give you more run time - about 5-7 minutes IIRC with no visible difference in output.

BlueBeam22

*Super Flashaholic*
Beamhead congratulations on getting your Stanley HID! I think you will really enjoy this light.

m1ruf

Newly Enlightened
hi,

I have a top notch ROP (2x aw c-cells, all the resistance mods done, contacts progolded etc. MOP reflector).

Is the Stanley HID much brigther than a ROP and does it throw farther?

If anyone could post distance beamshots of a ROP (or SF M6, or mag85) next to the Stanley HID that would be great!:thumbsup:

thx

Mjolnir

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Stanley will be significantly brighter than an ROP, and will throw significantly farther. I don't have an ROP, but I doubt you will get over 1000 OTF lumens from one. The Stanley easily has 2000+ lumens out the front, and a lot more when it starts up in its "overdrive" mode. It also has a much larger reflector than a maglite, so it will throw much farther (like 1000+ feet). Since it is an HID light, it probably also has a smaller light source than that of an ROP bulb, since the light actually comes from an arc, not a larger sized filament.

BVH

Flashaholic
I used to have a Mag85 and a Mac's Torch. Believe me, these don't hold a candle to the Stanley in Lumens and throw. But any 30 Watt HID is going to easily outperform these hi-perf incans. They're just in a different class.