Starbucks

Danielight

Enlightened
I'm sure it's a matter of personal taste, but I like Starbucks. I agree it has a kind of earthy taste, but we Armenians like our coffee on the strong side. :eek:oo:

john_aero

Newly Enlightened
Used love it but now find it very weak, starbucks on this side the pond seems be slightly stronger.

Find that most the starbucks coffee I have at home and make myself in the machine turn out lot nicer than the on in the shop.

I am just a coffeeholic

egrep

Enlightened
If you Armenians like your coffee on the 'strong' side, then you should avoid Starbucks (and Peets) like the plague. Over roasting reduces not only the caffeine but also the actual taste of the coffee. Starbucks 'blends' a lot of really crappy beans, over roasts them so they all taste the same and peddles that dark mess as 'coffee'. But it's mostly sold to people who are craving a hot chocolate and don't even know what coffee (is supposed to) taste like.

I'll bet some of your older relatives remember roasting their own and can tell you more.

:) Enjoy whatever you do enjoy of course. Just don't call it 'strong' when it aint. :)
I'm sure it's a matter of personal taste, but I like Starbucks. I agree it has a kind of earthy taste, but we Armenians like our coffee on the strong side. :eek:oo:

egrep

Enlightened
Philz, in a word is 'amazing'. Like Frank Sinatra was born to sing, Phil was born to make coffee. One Cup At A Time. The man is an artist.
In the Bay Area, we have a small chain called Philz, which i like alot.

Quest4fire

Enlightened
If you Armenians like your coffee on the 'strong' side, then you should avoid Starbucks (and Peets) like the plague. Over roasting reduces not only the caffeine but also the actual taste of the coffee. Starbucks 'blends' a lot of really crappy beans, over roasts them so they all taste the same and peddles that dark mess as 'coffee'. But it's mostly sold to people who are craving a hot chocolate and don't even know what coffee (is supposed to) taste like.

Pehaps Danielight was talking about boldness rather than caffeine content when he said 'Strong'. It is a fact, as egrep has said, that the longer you roast a bean, the more individual flavor characteristics and caffeine are lost and the bolder the flavor becomes.

As to the beans all tasting the same, I disagree. It all depends on how you brew it (I brew my own) and your own sense of taste. I enjoy coffee with a strong, bold flavor, not mega-caffeine content.

What is coffee supposed to taste like. That's like asking what is beer supposed to taste like. There are too many varieties what is real coffee is. It comes down to personal preference. Personally I think Guinness triple stout ale is disgusting but other think it is the pinnacle of brewing excellence.

dajab77

Newly Enlightened
I like Starbucks. It still amazes me that if a person is seen with a cup from Starbucks the feeling is Oh...I see you went to Starbucks. Oh well whatever floats your boat.
Christmas Blend is one of our favorites. This is just my opinion.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Starbucks coffee is among the worst of the worst. Their coffee is thoroughly burned rendering their 'blend' of trash beans tasteless (improvement) and without any reason to endure swilling it down.

Starbucks pretty much serves America's need for another reason to legitimize getting fatter. If you like coffee get a nice light roast from your local small batch roaster or do it yourself.

YMMV

well I was gonna say something against this, but then I remember my days in Italy sitting down to some nice espresso which
felt like a kind beer and actually is an 'experience' rather than starbuck ' i need to get some caffeine in me' ...so I agree.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Just noticed: The new, redesigned Starbucks packaging for their coffees no longer includes a "best by" month, so now there's no way to tell how long a bag has been sitting on the shelf. I think I'll have to start look elsewhere for a new favorite blend..

Philz, in a word is 'amazing'.

The "Jacobs Wonderbar" blend looks interesting, anyone tried this one, or have a Philz recommendation?

chaoss

Enlightened
No, i support my local roaster/cafe.
Starhucks roasts/burns their coffee the point of gagness.
Do yourself a favor and juant on down to your local cafe and try a latte, thank me later.
ETA: I am a coffee roaster :thumbsup:.

TedTheLed

Flashlight Enthusiast
I see Starbucks is trying to answer you critics with it's new 'blonde' melange a blah;

"It took eight months and more than 80 different recipe and roast iterations before we landed on the exact flavor profile our customers told us they were looking for," said Brad Anderson, master roaster for Starbucks. "They told us they wanted a flavorful, lighter-bodied coffee that offers a milder taste and a gentle finish. Starbucks® Blonde Roast delivers."". ..sounds scrumptious don't it?

Lol. I roast my own. I know better.

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been around the coffee business for 25 years or so, since before Starbucks came to my area. My wife works at a Starbucks and we get 1 lb free weekly.
To my tastes, most of it tastes like dirt (someone said "earthy"), but you can blend a few and get a pretty good cup.

For a real good cup, I roast my own. I order it from Sweet Maria's and give it a good full roast, let it cool 5 minutes, grind and brew. Try a Yemeni coffee, IMHO the very best.

Starbucks does fill a niche for a hangout place which doesn't revolve around alcohol, and for that, many people are grateful.

egrep

Enlightened
Where I live we've got a local roaster who does a good job with coffee and runs a nice coffee house. It's a community treasure. Students pack the place, locals pack the place, *EVERYONE* goes there. No Alcohol, quiet and pleasant. Starbucks is nice like that but has no soul and the coffee tastes like <expletive deleted>.

This is a valid point. In a way it's a community gathering area, albeit a small one.

egrep

Enlightened
It's not just your local SB, it's the furthest and everyone in between. The reason has to do with people not really liking (or really knowing how to like) coffee and SB (and others) being able to pass off crappy 'blends' of beans.
My closest Starbucks burns the beans. Blahhhh
I go to Expresso Mojo, fantastic

RCantor

Enlightened
Another Sweet Maria's fan here. I use a heat gun but I started with a modified popper. Got several others into it as well.

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have to admit, I have purchased a lot more Starbucks to show my support for the way they've handled a few politically sensitive subjects. I emailed them and let them know I've done so, and why.

booky

Newly Enlightened
Aside from the occasional frappucinos, i can't say I really am a fan of them. I think my daily morning pot of coffee taste much better.

Then again, it could have something to do with drinking it in my comfy pajamas :)