Stars on the ceiling, etc.

sjc

Newly Enlightened
I have a 2 girls - 4 and 5. Bought some GID paint and applied to ceilings in their bedrooms.
Supplies:
Paint: UltraGreen V10 from Glowinc.com. I bought two 1/2 pints but one would have been sufficient for both ceilings. Also bought 2 oz. of Ultra Blue but I don't really recommend that one because green is brighter and also because you can't really tell the colors apart very well at night except when fully "charged."

Applicator for stars: 10 mL slip tip syringe. You can get these on Amazon or you can sweet talk your doctor or nurse for a couple of these. Larger sizes work fine but smaller is easier and neater.
IMG_2302_zps706c3b3f.jpg

Wooden dowels to stir the paint. Plastic knife would do just as well.
Spongit round sponges in assorted sizes: smaller is better. Widely available at hobby stores or hobby section of Walmart type stores. This is definitely optional:

IMG_2306_zpsef63b63a.jpg

Innova X5MT WUVT high powered ultraviolet LED light to "charge" the paint at night. This too is optional as any high output white light will do. But this is fun and more efficient and an excuse to buy another light.
IMG_2307_zpsd087c643.jpg

Here is the painted ceiling during the day (can see a few white dots of GID paint):
IMG_2321_zps0c331d9a.jpg

At night below. Each "star" is just a small glob of paint, about the size of a chocolate chip, that I put on the ceiling using the slip tip syringe above. If you do it a few times, you'll get the hang of it. Don't leave a long "tip" of paint (top of chocolate chip) or you will see it during the day.
IMG_2330_zps26c10aa5.jpg

I looked up a few constellations and tried to reproduce them. I forgot which one this is. I used the blue paint and the smaller sponge to do the constellation pictured. Used a pencil first to mark the ceiling. Big and little dipper were easier (not pictured).
IMG_2318_zps0afe0a80.jpg

Here I again used the slip tip syringe to do a spiral galaxy:
IMG_2317_zps65ac3b80.jpg

Dragged the syringe a little for a shooting star:
IMG_2325_zps7efb3a9f.jpg

There is a round speaker in the ceiling that I made into a smily face (means "Daddy loves you.") She said it looks like a pumpkin. Oh well.
IMG_2323_zps361d64ec.jpg

A little surprise on the closet wall (all done with syringe):
IMG_2328_zps71195974.jpg

The artist must sign his work:
IMG_2326_zps5d9ca92f.jpg

Went nuts with paint and painted a few other things:
Spyderco (screws only):
IMG_2332_zps4b5c48e6.jpg

Fenix E05. I painted stripe around the base (using painters tape) and also painted the lens. I don't recommend that as it decreases light output considerably:
IMG_2335_zps64357198.jpg

Painted stripe on each side of door frame at eye level so I don't run into it at night (much neater if you use painter's tape, which I did the second time). Also painted stripe on the edge of the door.
IMG_2313_zpsaa417462.jpg

Cheers!

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can buy packets of glow in the dark stars,did it for my kids when they were little.Quick and easy and probably cheaper.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
sjc, you did a fine job. My 4 year old son would love what you have done. Using the quality components you did, assures long lasting glow and a much more accurate representation of a starry night. Good Going.

sjc

Newly Enlightened
Thank you, Kitrobaskin. I know several people who have used the solid plastic glow stars and in fact I have a pack of them. They do not glow nearly as bright or as long as the painted version. It seems to me that the trick is in the syringe, which allows you to make a thick enough clump of paint that it will glow nicely. A paint brush cannot come close to applying the same quantity or concentration of paint.