State police asked Walmart to...

greenstuffs

Banned
That's what you get at walmart when you pay crappy salary and sweat shop labor conditions to their employees, they just simply don't care. I wouldn't care either, the old saying of you get what you pay for has more meaning when comes to your employees. I really think the news are destroying this country with their stupid stories just like having teens baiting an adult to buy liquor or cigarettes.

Yup.

The teens walked in with a hidden camera. Most of the time, they weren't even asked to show I.D.

BladeDogg

Newly Enlightened
Somebody HIGHER up told them to stop selling it due to a PR thing. NOT a "dangerous" thing. If police officers are coming in and saying don't do it I am sure a manager caught wind of it, called corporate and corporate said, pull them until futher notice. Like some said, many crimes are done with kitchen knives. I have MUCH larger kitchen knives than what I carry EDC. Funny huh?

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Somebody HIGHER up told them to stop selling it due to a PR thing. NOT a "dangerous" thing. If police officers are coming in and saying don't do it I am sure a manager caught wind of it, called corporate and corporate said, pull them until futher notice. Like some said, many crimes are done with kitchen knives. I have MUCH larger kitchen knives than what I carry EDC. Funny huh?

Yup.

I can remember an incident in which an individual on a commuter train was opening some of his mail with the aid of a knife. A lady saw him doing this, and used her cellphone to dial 911. The cops stopped the train, and an officer approached the lady. She pointed the guy out to the officer. He approached the man, with back-up close by, asked him a few questions, then went back to confirm if it was indeed the same knife that the lady saw him use.

When she said it was, the officer threatened to have her arrested if she ever dialed 911 again without a good reason. It wasn't the fact that the man wasn't threatening anyone with the knife. More likely, it was because the knife was.... A Swiss Army Pen knife. That's why the hoplophobe dialed 911. :rolleyes:

When she got home, she probably used a 6 - 8 inch butcher knife to prepare dinner.... And was probably still wondering why the officer was so rude to her.

woodasptim

Newly Enlightened
I've heard from friends of mine on the police force that a lot of the local criminals like to carry 6" screwdrivers tucked into their waist band. Personally I don't feel the need for an AO knife, I'm perfectly content with my mini griptilian. As far as using either for personal protection, I'll stick with my Glock. I would love to have a microtech auto though :grin2:.

swampgator

Enlightened
I am wonder if this is a case where the police are the 'messenger' and that the State's Attorney General is the message originator? Still, without do process it seems heavy handed.

Sometimes it doesn't even have to go as far as the State Attorney General. Back when I worked for the state wildlife enforcement agency, often times rules are laws were 'intrepreted' by the agencies legal advisor. If he felt a certain type of black powder gun didn't fit the intent of the muzzleloading law, then use of that weapon was a violation during that season. Now, if they really wanted to do it right, they'd get the AG to sign off on an official legal intrepretation, but like I said, I've seen it done by staff attorneys.

So possibly, the decision was made by a lackey within the state police.

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got an letter at my job from Sogknives saying that all there assited openers are legal in all 50 states, But honestly i think it can come down to the cop becasue i have asked some of the cops & a local gun store owner who was a cop about them. The cops say they are illegal even though at the store where i work we sell some. While the gun store owner said it can depend on the cop, thats why i only use them at work and carry a regular knife on me when i am not at work.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I got an letter at my job from Sogknives saying that all there assited openers are legal in all 50 states, But honestly i think it can come down to the cop becasue i have asked some of the cops & a local gun store owner who was a cop about them. The cops say they are illegal even though at the store where i work we sell some. While the gun store owner said it can depend on the cop, thats why i only use them at work and carry a regular knife on me when i am not at work.

Many LEOs fear getting stabbed far more than shot. They will do practically anything to discourage folks from carrying knives.... especially those that open as quickly as a switchblade, but are street-legal Assisted Openers. I'm not surprised you were told that A/O knives are illegal.

The Gun shop owner is correct. Sometimes it depends on the individual officer who discovers you have one. Some of the misinformation on what is or isn't street-legal, comes from LEOs. You're better off asking an attorney who specializes in Criminal Law.

Flashlight Enthusiast
true , i have tried reading the local laws online about them but there so full of giberish on this and that that i cant understand stand it, i could as my pops to explain it in easier terms but he hates my knife collect. Not to woried though since i only use them at work and when not at work i usaually have a small but sharp and reliable knife on me so i dont get hassle about the size of the knife either.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I almost bought a CRKT from WalMart that was on sale last week. Upon reading this I'm glad I did not and I won't be buying any knives from them.

Last edited:

geekswithguns

Newly Enlightened
To be honest the line between assisted and switchblade is pretty thin- I personally think both should be legal- but the grounds making the "assisted" legal when a "switchblade" is not are pretty specious in most states...