Stiff Spyderco Native III

Secur1

Enlightened
Hi ppl :)

I recently got one and it looks like a great user knife, it feels good in my hand, not too big and definately not too small for most cutting jobs.
Anothe big plus is the value for money as it has good quality steel (VG10).

Now my only problem is that it's pretty stiff to open/close.
It was oiled up out of the box and i applied some more but it doesn't really do much difference to it's operation.

So what can i do to make it work smoother ?
I know that eventually with use it will loosen up but i'd like to see some results a bit faster....
Also by the looks of it, i can't take it apart and trimm the inside of the handles or loosen it.

Any ideas ?

Thanks in advance
John

HoopleHead

Flashlight Enthusiast
when im watching TV i just keep opening and closing it over and over to work it in. you should be able to disassemble it right? you could wipe it all clean and then relube maybe...

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
Blow out the lube with Gunscrubber (I use brake parts cleaner from the auto parts store - same stuff, 1/3 price) and just keep cycling it til it wears in.

Bill97z

Newly Enlightened
Mine is stiff too....just flick your wrist harder when opening!

Secur1

Enlightened
Not an option i'm afraid i got tendonitis on my wrist, i wear a support thingamajiggy with a piece of metal inside so i can use it a bit :/

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another vote for opening and closing the knife to loosen it up. Unless the knife is defective that is the only way I have found to free up a tight knife. Some knives are press fit (do not have an adjustable pivot screw/bolt) and those that are too tight are not going to free up as easily.

If playing with the knife is still not making it free up, try examining the pivot with a magnifying glass or a loupe. If you see crud built up, remove it (I use a toothpick and White Lightning if it is really built up) and then use a quality lube. I use Krytech, a wax based bicycle chain lube that tends to not attract dirt and crud but still lubes very well. Many people do not realize that oils can attract dust, dirt, and grime that will bind up pivots. Be sure to wipe away the excess of any lube you use.

SimpleIsGood229

Newly Enlightened
My Native III came pretty stiff, too. Just play with it until it gets looser. That's just the nature of pinned-construction FRN models.

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
I enjoy playing with my knives so I am another in Bigbores camp of siting and working with it, it is the way I use.

There is a way to accelerate the wearing in process but it should be used with care and only in rare circumstances as if it is overused it can wreck a fine tools mechanism. You can mix a rubbing compound with a light oil creating a gritty oil and work it into the action and then work it. Of course in many cases tolerances will not allow for this to enter so it will not work in all cases. Then make sure you clean it well with a method such as BigBore suggested and relube it with a dry lube such as graphite or a dry film lube which does not attract and hold grit.

Last edited:

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lol my appologies, there is another poster on another forum named BigBore and I mixed up the name, sorry guy.