Stock dive light recommendations

Malpaso

Enlightened
Going to be taking the OWD course in a couple weeks, which will allow me to buy new toys, so of course I had to come looking through CPF. From reading through here, it looks like most of you build/mod your own dive lights. What would be a good stock dive light for a beginner? I recently bought a Pelican 2410N for a snorkel/cave tubing trip. Would that fit the bill as a dive light, or at least a backup dive light? Also, my battery choices would be 123A or AA as that is what all of my other lights run on.

350xfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you find it bright enough? If so, go with it... Not sure what you are expecting to get out of this thread...

Most of us, build purpose-built lighting... Tech diving/video, etc... Typically this means expensive. What do you want to do and how much you want to spend???

Malpaso

Enlightened
What do you want to do
Not sure at this point, haven't even gotten certified. Just advance fact finding, as I am with all potential gear purchases.
how much you want to spend???
I have no problem spending to buy quality gear, as long as it is appropriate for my use.

I guess I'll wait until I get certified and have more specifics to ask. Maybe this was the wrong sub-forum for the question.

350xfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
It would be wise to wait until you are certified! You are on the right subforum.. Your question is just too vague. Get certified, decide what type of diving you want to do, then decide what gear to get. I would not get any gear until you have been diving a while. This way you don;t get stuck with a bunch of wrothless stuff that the dive shop is going to want to sell you or you think it's cool at the time.

Klem

Enlightened
What's the point of diving if you can't see clearly enough to do what you want to do (enjoy, explore, photograph, catch fish, work). I am biased but if you plan to stick around the lifestyle after doing your courses then don't compromise on the ability to see.

Dashrynn

Newly Enlightened
I personally like the Hollis lights. The led's are xre type but the build is solid. That or an SL3 UK. I would buy a solid backup light and then worry about primarys, you won't start night diving yet and the ranges you start in should still have some light coming in so a light to look under things will be your goal.

Last edited:

Codiak

Enlightened
One reason to wait to purchase is that during class and your certification classes it's likely the instructor will not want/let you have a light anyway.

The link 12V posted is a good starting point after your certified.

girdles

Newly Enlightened
Get a light that fits in your BCD pocket.
Bright enough to look into cracks and under shelfs.
led lenser are cheap or the likes.
Dont go spending money on specific lighting until you have plenty of dives under your belt and you may have an idea of what direction you are going, Tech, Photography,

Latest posts