stock incan 6p rechargeable setup for noobs

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
In a 6P that's not bored. I notice sf expressly prohibits incans w their cr123 rechargeables: "
Do not use LFP 123A batteries with incandescent illumination tools."

My situation is, I don't even need any more output or modes than the stock 6p's lamp provides. After experimenting & flipping a half dozen led drop-ins, malkoff's, high cri's, HO's to LLL's etc. my preferred beam still remains the stock incan setup, and I wouldn't even care about its poor efficiency if I just had a FOOLPROOF rechargeable setup for it. If I HAVE to resort to a dowel rod & sandpaper or something, I'll just go back to led, splurge on the LE tk22 neutral & their own branded charger & 18650 instead, though it's overkill, bigger, brighter, more expensive and complicated than I need, I don't like the looks or form/size/ui as much, & I really, really just want to stick with this (it just seems foolproof with their compatible battery & charger setup). Was just super hoping the sf rechargeables would work in their own light. & I've seen conflicting info on this matter, on the internet.

Advice, alternative suggestions?

Please don't move this to batteries etc. as my priority is sticking with incan.

Last edited:

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
Understood, so no sf rechargeables with 6p or 9p, and i assume the fenix 18650 wont fit in the 6p, so back to the drawing board.

Thanks guys.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is pretty simple and cheap. Put a P90 into that 6P and run it off of a couple of AW IMR16340 cells. The output will be higher than the stock P60 and it is rechargeable. You just need to pick up a cheap lithium ion charger like AW sells.

Last edited:

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
You could either source a KR2 kit to convert your 6P to accept the nicad rechargeable battery, but I think it would be easier to just buy a 3.7v incan P60 lamp from Lumens Factory and run a 17670 (or 18650 if the 6P is bored).

DellSuperman

Flashlight Enthusiast
You could either source a KR2 kit to convert your 6P to accept the nicad rechargeable battery, but I think it would be easier to just buy a 3.7v incan P60 lamp from Lumens Factory and run a 17670 (or 18650 if the 6P is bored).

Nah, OP states that he doesn't want to do anything to the host so even the 17mm cells are outta the question..
Unless there is a 16650, then OP can consider the 3.7v incan that is mentioned.

- JonK

Understood, so no sf rechargeables with 6p or 9p, and i assume the fenix 18650 wont fit in the 6p, so back to the drawing board.

Thanks guys.
What I meant to say is that you can use any 2 rechargeable 123's with the 9p bulb, including the surefires, but you don't need to spend the money on the special surefires. The higher voltage of regular or IMR li-ions will not hurt the 9p bulb as long as you use 2 of them. Using any 3 rechargeables in the p9 flashlight is forbidden with the incan 9p bulb.

bentt

Newly Enlightened
In my unbored C2, I use a Lumen Factory HO-4 (3.7V, 150 Lumens) powered by a AW 17670 (protected). I've found the HO-4 to be just slightly brighter than the P60 and the battery is reported to last 50-60min.

Also as mentioned above, two cell (9V) options are available.

I have a number of high quality LED drop-ins & they all have their place, but I favour the traditional beam pattern & colouring rendering of the P60 format incan.

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nah, OP states that he doesn't want to do anything to the host so even the 17mm cells are outta the question..

- JonK

There is no need to do anything to the host, at least for an old round body 6P, to be able to accept 17mm cells. A regular 123A cell is already nominally 17mm in diameter.

Last edited:

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the idea of using a single battery, if A 17mm will will fit in an unbored 6p, especially if doing so means I can get away with not having to measure it every time I take it out of the charger (as I understand is required when using more than one)?

Either way lots of good options, thanks all!

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
What I meant to say is that you can use any 2 rechargeable 123's with the 9p bulb, including the surefires, but you don't need to spend the money on the special surefires. The higher voltage of regular or IMR li-ions will not hurt the 9p bulb as long as you use 2 of them. Using any 3 rechargeables in the p9 flashlight is forbidden with the incan 9p bulb.

Oops yeah I mistakenly read "not just" as "just not", but you said it right. Thanks for clarifying, that's probably what I'll end up going with. I like the idea of one company being responsible for all components in case something goes wrong.

archimedes

Flashaholic
I like the idea of using a single battery, if A 17mm will will fit in an unbored 6p, especially if doing so means I can get away with not having to measure it every time I take it out of the charger (as I understand is required when using more than one)?

Either way lots of good options, thanks all!

Yes, a single-cell setup would be preferable (especially with heavy current draw from incandescent), I agree ... but you still need to monitor voltage before & after charging for safety :)

From a 2006 post by rikvee ... LF HO-4 draws 1.68-1.8 A (on 1x Li-Ion) & SF P90 draws 1.18 A (on 2x Li-Ion) ...

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/114094

Last edited:

Redhat703

Enlightened
One time I put a P90 to the SF 9P host + 1 cell extender with 2 AW17670 1500mAh. It ran great with more light output than the P60 with 2 primaries.
This happened before I bought AW IMR16340 cells. I think 2 IMR16340 will work fine with P90 in 6P host, just be careful not let those IMRs fully depleted.

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
AW 17670 cells fit in all of my old-style round body 6Ps, and in my old-style E2es, 6Zs, 12ZMs, and 6Rs. Also in my G2s. Certainly, SF can, and has, made some of their lights incompatible with 17mm diameter cells (e.g., certain E2es, U2s, A2s, and A2Ls). I have a newer generation 6P with flats that I can test for 17mm compatibility.

How old is your 6P?

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast

- JonK

A 17670 will fit in every C/P/Z/G series I've ever owned. He should be fine with 17670 and a 3.7v incan lamp.

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
^great, thanks. I'll research small chargers that still have those on board lcd displays showing the voltage. I want to avoid messing with a meter, but it looks like that's kind of an expensive feature even on single or double bay chargers.

AW 17670 cells fit in all of my old-style round body 6Ps, and in my old-style E2es, 6Zs, 12ZMs, and 6Rs. Also in my G2s. Certainly, SF can, and has, made some of their lights incompatible with 17mm diameter cells (e.g., certain E2es, U2s, A2s, and A2Ls). I have a newer generation 6P with flats that I can test for 17mm compatibility.

How old is your 6P?

Purchased new less than 10 years ago.

calipsoii

Flashlight Enthusiast
A 17670 will fit in every C/P/Z/G series I've ever owned. He should be fine with 17670 and a 3.7v incan lamp.

Yep, this. The E-series had that nonsense with the narrowing battery tube, but every SF I own with a removable tailcap will fit a 17670.

Maybe see if you can get your hands on a bi-pin FM P60 socket, leon. Gives you greater options (and cheaper ones) for matching bulbs to battery.