Streamlight Microlight or something else

hcd615

Enlightened
I know everyone has an opinion on their favorite AAA light. I bought 6 of the SL Microlights today. I find them to be nice but the tailcap is a bit hard to push. I guess that could be good so there is no accidental turn on in a pocket. I love my Fenix E05's also. Can anyone tell me about the 4 Sevens Preon 1. I cant find any good reviews on YouTube. I see they make tailcap options? Any help would be great. Thanks, Howard

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
You have more choices if you consider 2AAA penlights, too. The Pelican 1920, for example, has an easier to press forward clicky switch.

tacgearguy

Newly Enlightened
I've been carrying a MicroStream in the pocket on my uniform shirt for a few years. I use it daily @ work when a bigger light isn't needed. Even with the extra pressure needed to get constant I feel it's a great light for my needs. I've tried carrying my Preon 1 w/clicky tail cap in the same manner & had it turn on numerous occasions. I even tried turning the head to lock it out. That become annoying because then the clicky was pointless if I had to twist the head anyway. I now keep my Preons in my jacket pockets w/the flat tailcap on them. I hope my experiences help you.

Last edited:

hcd615

Enlightened
Thank you for that info. I do like the MicroStream. Has anyone had experience with The Pelican 1910?

tacgearguy

Newly Enlightened
I was researching the Pelican 1910 & 1920 a few months ago. A lot of the reviews I found mentioned extremely off center emitters.

ep70

Newly Enlightened
I've had the Microstream for a few years now , keep it on my keychain so its always handy.. Been a great lil light and has good luminance and through for the size that it is .. I have been very hapy with it .. only thing I had to replace on it was the tailcap because the rubber button wore out . Streamlight sent me on for free.

arnstein

Newly Enlightened
I have a Streamlight Microlight and TWO Olight I3s. These are both great lights. Here is what I like about the I3:

It offers three output levels.

It has an XPG-R5 emitter. Streamlight has a C4 emitter and I have no idea what that is.

It is a twisty light. Verily, clicky lights are more convenient. But twisty lights are more reliable. I am especially concerned about tiny clickies like the Streamlight.

The finish is smooth and pleasant looking. You have a choice of colors too.

It has a nice screwed-on clip. You can remove it if you like. An allen wrench is included with the light for this purpose.

It is reasonably priced. I see it on sale sometimes.

Altec

Newly Enlightened
I have two Streamlight Stylus Pro's myself, and my boss has two himself. More then happy with them as a mechanic. But I either use the hell out of them, or had bad luck because I've had to warranty both of mine for numerous reasons. A few switches, and a couple dead LED modules. The warranty service has been amazing, and although I now rotate between several DC's, my current one is great! I'd buy another. The only piece of advice I have is to put dielectric grease on the ends of the battery(ies). Keeps them from corroding. I had a bad issue with this, and had to bend my one because of this. And anything at all battery related isn't covered under warranty.

docflash

Newly Enlightened
the microstream has a lot to like about it. some of the details show a lot of thought.

the clip, for example: in addition to being strong and springy, its apparently designed so you can attach the microstream to the brim of a hat - that is, it clkips in *two* directions. nice design. somebody thought about that detail.

the switch on the end takes a good amount of pressure to swith on, but takes just the right amount to send morse code. again, good design and engineering.

the light output is enough to do what a personal flashlight is supposed to do. i was using one of mine in the car tonight, and it's bright enough to see everything you need to without being so bright to blow away night vision.

i'm still happy w/ the proton pro i've carried for many years (and am happier that i realized today that photon will replace the red led that burned out 4 or 5 years ago under the lifetime warranty) but the microstream will do almost everything i want a flashlight to do (besides impress other CPF members who might suffer from 'lumen envy').

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I know everyone has an opinion on their favorite AAA light. I bought 6 of the SL Microlights today. I find them to be nice but the tailcap is a bit hard to push. I guess that could be good so there is no accidental turn on in a pocket. I love my Fenix E05's also. Can anyone tell me about the 4 Sevens Preon 1. I cant find any good reviews on YouTube. I see they make tailcap options? Any help would be great. Thanks, Howard

I have a Preon 1 with a Preon 2 tailcap attached. Works well as a multi-mode single-AAA light with clip. I'd recommend it above others in this very limited segment of lights. You can order the Preon2's tailcap separately from 4Sevens.