Suggestions for Father-in-Law

drummer132132

Enlightened
Hey all,

So recently I've been looking into getting my father-in-law a light for him to take on camping trips and for general use around the home. So far I've been looking at some various options but still not sure which to go with. Here is a short list of the lights I've been looking at:

Fenix RC20
Fenix RC11
Olight S30R Javelot
Olight S30R II
Zebralight SC600 MK iii HI

Of these options the Zebralight feels like the light that I should go with but feel the UI might be complicated for him though in all honesty the UI really isn't bad but he may not want to take the time to master it. After that I was thinking the Fenix RC20 due to the simple nature of Fenix UI and ease of use with battery recharging. Ultimately though I can't decide so I am looking here for opinions. In the end though I still lean towards the Zebralight and he can spend a little brain power in learning the UI :)

1DaveN

Enlightened
I've got an RC11 that I really like a lot, and would not hesitate to recommend. It doesn't have momentary, but that's my only complaint with it. It's considerably smaller than the PD35 and only a little bigger than the PD25. But mostly I think it depends on what you're looking for - for example, it seems like the RC20 is enough bigger that you would choose based on size alone.

I like the way the RC20 charges, but in my opinion, needing to bring along the charger limits its usefulness when traveling. It also uses a special battery that you might have to order from the Fenix Store parts department.

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
The UI on the ZebraLight has a gentle learning curve.

Start lessons with click on/off for High Mode.

Next, teach press-and-hold (from off or on) for Low-Medium-High.

End of lessons.

(What he doesn't know won't hurt him!)

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is he a light person or a muggle? If he is a muggle, I would stay away from Li-Ion due to the lack of knowledge and experience. I personally would look at AA lights. That gives the option of lithium primaries, Ni-MH rechargeables, and, worst case, alkalines. The Nitecore EA11 would be a good starter light. A nice range of outputs, the lower ones for use around the campsite and the brighter ones for hiking and checking noises in the middle of the night. It also has the small red LED for preserving night vision. Nitecore also has several other AA cell lights worth checking out in the same class. For a step up to something brighter and with more throw, you have the EC45S and the EA41. Both still compact but with higher max output and more throw.

If he likes this gift, the next gift could be something like the Streamlight Microstream or the Nitecore Tube. Something small that would make a good backup light if something happens to the main light, and something to share if the need arises.

drummer132132

Enlightened
Thank you all for the advice. Each light has their pros and cons. I think what I'll do is create a list to him of the suggested lights and let him choose.

He is a muggle for sure ;) considered staying with AA/AAA but felt 18650 would offer more and he's got me for assistance if he has questions.

I see him this Friday and can go over options.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
From experience and with the many hundreds of pounds wasted on high-end lights it is very hard to beat the Thorfire VG 15 running on an 18650 for a UK tenner-super light and what a cracking price.

ven

Flashaholic
Out of your list, the ZL would be my choice..................big tint benefit too over the other cooler ones. Easier on the eye for general stuff around the house and camping.:)

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would go with something simple that runs on AA's......maybe a 2AA Mini Mag Pro Plus with a Eneloop BQ-CC17 smart charger/4 Eneloop AA bundle.

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
From experience and with the many hundreds of pounds wasted on high-end lights it is very hard to beat the ThorFire VG 15 running on an 18650 for a UK tenner-super light and what a cracking price.

Thank you for continuing to recommend this flashlight from ThorFire. ThorFire is making a mark in the budget category. I do not know about the ThorFire VG15, but, in the compact thrower category, I can heartily recommend the ThorFire C8s. It features a solid build, good fit-and-finish, and an excellent no-PWM driver that hides the strobe mode.

According to the review of the VG15 posted by CPF member kj75, the driver in the VG15 also hides the strobe mode, but uses PWM. It's hard (or impossible) to see in normal usage, but is nevertheless present. It might only be an issue for a very few people, but videographers should take note.

ThorFire does not at present offer a neutral-white emitter option for either the VG15 nor the C8s.

Latest posts