Recommend Me a Light for walking the dog at night in a rural unlit area

Outdoor_Jo3

Newly Enlightened
Currently using a Streamlight UltraStinger (8 years old and showing it's age). My two biggest complaints are the lack of adjustable beam and the narrow width of the fixed beam. I live in the countyside, no streetlights and no lights from homes as they are set well back off the road where I walk my dog at night. Fortunately, the road isn't busy so being seen isn't a concern however, I want something floody with good reach so I can see. My typical nightly walk is about 45 minutes so I'd like something that can run on decent medium/high brightness for at least that time if not an hour.

==================Flashlight Recommendation Checklist================

1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?

2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)

Up to $200.

3) Format:

I want a flashlight (hand held/self contained).

4) Size:

SMALL - Every day carry (4-7 inches).
MEDIUM - Holster/belt ring carry. (>7 inches)
LARGE - (12+ inches)

5) Emitter/Light source:

LED (known for efficiency, longevity, and compactness)

6) Manufacturer:

Open to options

7) What power source do you want to use?

I intend to use Rechargeable cells but have no preference on format.

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need?

Lots of light, 60+ lumens would be my estimate.

9) Flood vs Throw:

Flood

10) Runtime:

60+ minutes at moderate/high brigthness

11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.

Very Important (Camping, Backpacking, Car Glove-box).

12) Switch Size, Type, and location (choose all that apply):

I don't care.

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.

I do not care.

14)Material/Finish/Coating

No preference.

15) Water resistance

At least IPX4 (Splash resistant)

16) Storage conditions

Will be stored inside home.

17) Special Needs/extras: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Select any/all below.

N/A

Guitar Guy

Enlightened
Malkoff Wildcat with MD4 body. Made in USA, built like a tank, lifetime warranty, excellent customer service, and one of the best. It has a high and low mode.

There are several different body styles available for different battery combinations. I like the MD4 with two 18650 Li-ion rechargeable cells.

I believe there is a 20% off sale right now for your first order. Good luck.

Last edited:

Jean-Luc Descarte

Enlightened
If you're willing to hear one more:

Convoy M21B (GT FC40 LED)

A very good budget option, even if it stays as backup. Ordering it with an XHP70 should give you even more runtime but I really like the light quality of the FC40. Beautiful color rendering and tint without sacrificing lumens.

If you order one, make sure to get it with a battery. The store offers the full kit. (I presume you're good on chargers?)

Last edited:
I agree with the recommendation for the Malkoff above. If you want a more pocketable option, look into the Malkoff MD2 with hi/lo ring. It'll be useable inside the house and outside with a nicely balanced beam. If you want more cell options, go for the MD3 body with M91 module and hi/lo ring. It'll take pretty much any combination of cells you can fit in that body and still produce light across a wide range of voltages.

I use a Thyrm LPC clip on my lights as an excellent way of retention. One of my lights also has an Thyrm Switchback and the ring helps keep the light in hand when my puppy decides to lunge at something.

Outdoor_Jo3

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Jean-Luc & Scalpel_Ninja! I am leaning toward getting the Malkoff Wildcat with MD4 body suggested by Guitar Guy. I do like the Streamlight ProTac suggested by Hsa but am a little leary of their build quality as of late. I bought my first SL in 2002 and used them exclusively for all of my lighting needs through my last purchase however, their service team for repairs/customer service was awful the last two times I dealt with them. In both cases I needed minor repairs and they pushed me to buy a new light instead. Reading some of the more recent reviews about batteries rattling inside the flashlight body and other potential build quality issues I am a little more inclined to try the Malkoff. I like the Made in the USA and lifetime warranty even if it costs me a little extra at purchase time. However, I am considering picking up the Convoy suggested by Jean-Luc as a backup budget option for other needs. I can't thank the group enough for their suggestions!

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
A good back up budget light made in the USA would be the 3C Maglite ML50 or ML50LX (grenade grip), it will run on alkalines, but it runs best on a protected 18650 or 21700 in an adapter. The Mag 2C ML25 dual mode light is another great low cost USA option that will also run on a protected 18650 or 21700 in an adapter.

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm going to again recommend my favorite bang-for-the-buck high output light... Streamlight Protac HL-5X

Takes two rechargeable 18650's.
3500 lumens. Tough and simple.
It's about $100​

I'm out in rural Pennsylvania and this light is great for countryside where there's no streetlights around.
I've taken it on camping trips and night time corn mazes and it's great.

It has a nice big hotspot that's a good balance of spill to see what's going on in the immediate vicinity and still plenty of light at distance.

Falcon9h

Newly Enlightened
60 lumens is awfully dim (to me). My night vision has never been any good and I need a good 1000 lumens before I'm comfotable.
I'm in rural Pa. also. Haven't night walked recently but used my modded 4c mags with a bust-a-cap on the end, because you never know who's gonna happen along. Now I'd still grab one of them along with my Wuben X1. Wuben is a tremendous flooder, 12000 lumens with 3000 sustained.
Malkoff is too hideously expensive. $$$ more than the Wuben at less than half the output.

donn_

Flashaholic
If it were me, these days, it would be my Remington 870 Marine Magnum, with its titanium E Series custom weapon light with a Surefire switch and mount, a Mirage_Man CR123 tube and a Ti head by I don't remember who, and a really nice drop-in.

I have posted a photo of it before, but I don't remember how now, so just use your imaginations.

Outdoor_Jo3

Newly Enlightened
This thread has been a great one - really glad to have such a knowledgeable group here! I actually think I am going to pull the trigger on the SL ProTac, can't really go wrong with trying it for less than half of my budgeted cost. If I don't love that one I'll probably go for the Malkoff next though that Wuben Falcon9h mentioned has me intrigued as well. I've also added a couple of the backup light recommendations to my Xmas list so we'll see what Santa might bring down the chimney for me!

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about an emisar d4sv2 dual channel. It runs on a 26650 or a 26800 with additional tube. Has two channels so I like 2x 519A 4500k 95+ cri on one for a nice floody beam. And the second channel is 2x W1 for a 50000cd throw. Turbo puts them both together. Probably the best overall single light in existence.
Malkoff are good lights. But they're more geared to the tactical crowd. You're just walking your dog. And the emisar is a more broadly useful light
Should be appropriately 2200L on flood and 1600L on throw. 4000L on turbo. Now obviously won't be able to sustain those levels, but around 1000L is sustainable until the cell dies.

Last edited:

Jean-Luc Descarte

Enlightened
How about an emisar d4sv2 dual channel. It runs on a 26650 or a 26800 with additional tube. Has two channels so I like 2x 519A 4500k 95+ cri on one for a nice floody beam. And the second channel is 2x W1 for a 50000cd throw. Turbo puts them both together. Probably the best overall single light in existence.
Malkoff are good lights. But they're more geared to the tactical crowd. You're just walking your dog. And the emisar is a more broadly useful light
Should be appropriately 2200L on flood and 1600L on low. 4000L on turbo. Now obviously won't be able to sustain those levels, but around 1000L is sustainable until the cell dies.
Can the Emisar fit a 21700 with a spacer?

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
Btw if you're looking for 21700, the light is the D4K. But it's smaller based on the D4V2 and uses a smaller optic. I've never used this light but it is a lot floodier due to this.

donn_

Flashaholic
"Probably the best overall single light in existence."

Can't be.

That one is in my left hand chest shirt pocket, hanging on a 25 year old Orvis Zinger that's clipped to the pocket. It takes a single CR2, and has a smooth-as silk twist head 2-speed UI. I fondle it several times a day, just to remind it how important it is to me.