Recommend me a single AA flashlight

Raymond33

Newly Enlightened
Another vote for the Lumintop tool 2.0. There are Nichia models on amazon for $23.
Absolutely among the longest running AAs out there.

I use one in my bathroom as a night light. It solely runs on AA batteries that have too little power to run other devices, including other AA flashlights.

The Nichia model is not only long lasting, it gives lovely bathroom night-light glow.

Last edited:

Raymond33

Newly Enlightened
Already found a couple of negatives:
Acebeam: if flashlight is already on, you have to turn it off to switch output modes o_O
Lumentop Tool: With 3.7V battery installed, the tail clicky has a blue light on while the flashlight is off. Doesn't seem to be there if you have an alkaline battery installed or maybe it's just too dim to see
Yes, with the Lumintop Tool 2.0 and 14500 battery, the tailcap glows. I just twist the tail cap to turn it off. It does not glow with regular AAs. It seems to be exceptionally long lasting with any AA size battery.

chaosdsm

Enlightened
ZcMYVjT.png

Glows with 3.7V battery, not with 1.6V or lower batteries haven't received the new 3.2V LiFePO4's yet, and I cannot find my SoShine 14500 3.2V LiFePO4's :(

Also pretty sure the Fenix would never run turbo mode on LiFePO4 batteries.... even fully charged, they quickly drop to 3.2V under 3A load, probably 3.0V or less under turbo load.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
View attachment 59164

Glows with 3.7V battery, not with 1.6V or lower batteries haven't received the new 3.2V LiFePO4's yet, and I cannot find my SoShine 14500 3.2V LiFePO4's :(

Also pretty sure the Fenix would never run turbo mode on LiFePO4 batteries.... even fully charged, they quickly drop to 3.2V under 3A load, probably 3.0V or less under turbo load.
Yep it's supposed to glow with a 3.7

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
How much longer are the Orbtronic 14500 protected batteries? I know the Thrunite 920mAh is the same size as a regular AA, even with the USB port, so that is a nice feature. Lots of lights won't take oversize cells.

the_real_chud

Newly Enlightened
Just got the package from Orbtronic! Their 21700 protected batteries are the exact same length as the Fenix (y) I have the new batteries on my chargers, so it'll be an hour or so before I test them out.

View attachment 59156

I didn't notice when I placed the order, but those 1100mAh 14500's are also protected!!!
I have some of those and I like them. Two things I did find is they are larger in diameter than any other 14500s I have which can be an issue on some lights and they trip if used in a TS10 on turbo. They are perfect for the one I use on my nightstand and only ever sees moonlight, even with the aux lights on low I basically never have to charge it. I'm very interested in the results of your tests. Especially on the EBL 3000mWh AA 1.6V Ni-Zn. I bought a Zebra SC53C specifically for use with 14500s, right after they disabled that ability, sadly. I still love the light but wanted to maximize the voltage. I passed on the Ni-Zn because I couldn't find anyone to vouch for them.

chaosdsm

Enlightened
How much longer are the Orbtronic 14500 protected batteries? I know the Thrunite 920mAh is the same size as a regular AA, even with the USB port, so that is a nice feature. Lots of lights won't take oversize cells.
Still waiting for the plastic calipers to arrive for exact measurements, but looks to be about 1mm longer.
dbX0phE.png
From L to R:
> Olight 750mAh 3.7V 14500 protected (purchased years ago, I had 2, no idea where the other one is)
> Orbtronic 1100mAh 3.7V 14500 protected
> Xtar 1.5V Lithium Ion rechargeable 4150mWh
> EBL 1.6V Nickel Zinc rechargeable 3000mWh
> Energizer Max AA Alkaline
> EBL 2800mAh NiMh AA rechargeable
> Acebeam 920mAh 3.7V 14500 with USB-C charging port

> Olight & Orbtronic appear to be same length as each other and appears the extra length comes solely from the protection circuits, and doesn't seem to be a problem in either light.
> The middle 3 batteries all appear to be identical in length,
> the EBL NiMH appears to be slightly longer than the middle 3
> the Acebeam appears to be slightly longer than the EBL NiMH

NOW.... I started the testing with turbo mode... Acebeam batteries in the Acebeam lights, Orbtronics in the Lumentop lights.

The Acebeam lights all took a noticeable step down after about 30 - 45 seconds (guess), the Lumentop did NOT.... after about 5 minutes, the Lumentop all still appeared to be in full turbo mode, so I grabbed an infrared thermometer, the Acebeam's ranged from 146F to 152F at the head, but the Lumentops ranged from 164F to 172F at the head o_O I got a small blister from that 172F one when I picked it up and turned it off. Doesn't seem like the flashlight or batteries have any thermal protection, so could have a run-away train here.... at least with Li-Ion batteries.

Side by side, there's quite a noticeable difference in the color temp of the lights: Acebeam on left, Lumentop on Right. Acebeam says the lights are 5000K so I'm guessing the Lumentop is around 6500K & my camera split the difference on the white balance...
iP7WmLU.png

Unfortunately, I forgot to put the camera in full manual mode, so it self adjusted the shutter speed, and f stop value in between shots so it's really hard to see the step down from any of the photos :banghead:

Raymond33

Newly Enlightened
Some Duracell AAs that I just measured were between 1.973-1.975 inch. A couple Obtronic 14500 were 2.042-2.045 inch.
I have never had an issue successfully installing these in any AA light. (Just be sure that your light is rated for the higher voltage before installing.)

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm interested in seeing if the Lumintop Tool trips the Xtar 1.5V circuit off when running Turbo or High. The Tool pulls a lot of current.

I am also interested how the Xtar 1.5V performs at Med and lower modes, as I have some AA (1.5v max) only lights that I would like to get more runtime or a bit more brightness out of than on an eneloop.

chaosdsm

Enlightened
I'm interested in seeing if the Lumintop Tool trips the Xtar 1.5V circuit off when running Turbo or High. The Tool pulls a lot of current.

I am also interested how the Xtar 1.5V performs at Med and lower modes, as I have some AA (1.5v max) only lights that I would like to get more runtime or a bit more brightness out of than on an eneloop.
I'm sure turbo will cut out, as 1.5A is about max for the current crop of 1.5V lithium rechargeable. For low mode, the Xtar in theory could have the edge, as a 2400mAh Eneloop, even if it could hold constant at 1.45V till empty, is only estimated at 3480mWh vs Xtar's claimed spec of 4150mWh for the batteries I have.

Raymond33

Newly Enlightened
Another AA to consider. My daughter likes her Jetbeam PA12. Solid, great output with a 14500. She likes mode memory. Fits easily in purse. Great solid construction and feel. The clip is perfect for in purse use.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast

img_4693_1100px.jpg

Morelite

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm looking to buy 4-6 single AA LED flashlights - primarily for battery testing, so I want to be able to use any battery chemistry that is currently available in AA sized battery, I've eliminated all the checklist questions that make ZERO difference to me... I'll probably be giving these away after I'm finished, so they should be relatively decent flashlights.

I see the ThruNite Ti Pro fits all the check boxes, any others???

==================Flashlight Recommendation Checklist================

1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?

2) Budget:
Up to, but not over $30 per flashlight.

3) Format / Size:
Tiny Single AA LED than can utilize any battery chemistry from 1.2V to 4.3V

4) Manufacturer:
I want to buy a light from a large/traditional/reputable manufacturer that is ready to go out of the box.

5) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need?
At least 50 lumens on brightest mode with Alkaline AA

6) Switch Size, Type, and location (choose all that apply):
Any size switch will do in either tail or body location or both - separate on/off & mode switches is fine

7) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.
I want 2 light levels minimum, 3 light levels would be preferred - as in low/high or low/med/high.... NOT high/strobe - low/high/sos - high/sos/beacon etc....

Absolutely among the longest running AAs out there.
I use one in my bathroom as a night light. It solely runs on AA batteries that have too little power to run other devices, including other AA flashlights.

The Nichia model is not only long lasting, it gives lovely bathroom night-light glow.

View attachment 60022
I recommend the acebeam pokelit it runs on any AA sized cell snd comes with a 14500 that has a a USB port built into the cell inself for charging, the light comes in several colors and metals but keep in mind that the copper and titanium versions do not have mode memory as I found out the hard way by being disappointed by the copper version not having it like my dark green one did, I'm hoping to be able to swap the internal head components because the green one has the sweet neutral tint i like but I prefer the copper body. The titanium version also doesn't have memory mode from what the manufacturer tells me which was going to be my next purchase.

GGCC24

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking to buy 4-6 single AA LED flashlights - primarily for battery testing, so I want to be able to use any battery chemistry that is currently available in AA sized battery, I've eliminated all the checklist questions that make ZERO difference to me... I'll probably be giving these away after I'm finished, so they should be relatively decent flashlights.

I see the ThruNite Ti Pro fits all the check boxes, any others???

==================Flashlight Recommendation Checklist================

1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?

2) Budget:
Up to, but not over $30 per flashlight.

3) Format / Size:
Tiny Single AA LED than can utilize any battery chemistry from 1.2V to 4.3V

4) Manufacturer:
I want to buy a light from a large/traditional/reputable manufacturer that is ready to go out of the box.

5) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need?
At least 50 lumens on brightest mode with Alkaline AA

6) Switch Size, Type, and location (choose all that apply):
Any size switch will do in either tail or body location or both - separate on/off & mode switches is fine

7) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.
I want 2 light levels minimum, 3 light levels would be preferred - as in low/high or low/med/high.... NOT high/strobe - low/high/sos - high/sos/beacon etc....
ThruNite Summer Sale Select Flashlights 50% OFF
Don't miss out the chance to save big for a limited time. When you checkout, enter the code: SFS to save 50% off.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
ThruNite Summer Sale Select Flashlights 50% OFF
Don't miss out the chance to save big for a limited time. When you checkout, enter the code: SFS to save 50% off.
Thank you for the heads-up!
Won't lie, wish there were more than seven options.
But seen less choices offered in other Flash sales, by other companies.
Already have a Thrunite Catapult. Ordered a Metal Grey Mini version.
Heck, for less than $25.oo, why not. $6 shipping, very reasonable.

Guessing Thrunite might soon be discontinuing these seven models?
Oh well, hard to resist a 50% off sale. Don't need the Mini.
But figured at that price, what the heck. Thanks again.

Toulouse42

Enlightened
I recommend the acebeam pokelit it runs on any AA sized cell snd comes with a 14500 that has a a USB port built into the cell inself for charging, the light comes in several colors and metals but keep in mind that the copper and titanium versions do not have mode memory as I found out the hard way by being disappointed by the copper version not having it like my dark green one did, I'm hoping to be able to swap the internal head components because the green one has the sweet neutral tint i like but I prefer the copper body. The titanium version also doesn't have memory mode from what the manufacturer tells me which was going to be my next purchase.

I just got one of those and so far I'm pretty impressed.

I also have and like the Eagtac D25A, and Lumintop Tool AA. The Eagtac won't take some of my 14500s as they are too long at 53 mm. The Lumintop will.

My bedside light is a Thrunite Archer 1A V3, which has a great moonlight mode (Energizer Lithiums). The switch is a bit flaky though.

I have and don't like, the Olight Baton S1A (i don't like the electronic side switch or UI), and the Klarus Mi7 (again I don't like the side switch, which can turn on too easily in my pockets, although the UI is fine.) Both of these will take the 53 mm 14500s)

For the purposes of the original question, the Acebeam or Lumintop would get my vote.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
....I have and don't like, the Olight Baton S1A (i don't like the electronic side switch or UI), and the Klarus Mi7 (again I don't like the side switch, which can turn on too easily in my pockets, although the UI is fine.) Both of these will take the 53 mm 14500s)

For the purposes of the original question, the Acebeam or Lumintop would get my vote.
I'm done with Klarus.
I would say the thermal regulation on their lights is a joke,
if it wasn't for the fact that it is non-existant.