Suglasses: Coated or tinted glass?

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
In my experience in buying glasses, if someone else is paying for them, you need the dr to say everything. Tinting, coating for them to cover it. If you are paying or do not paying for extras you can ask at the place that makes your glasses. Its my experience for most of my life you cant get a mirror coating on a plastic lens and glass lenses for my needs would be too heavy to wear. Most places have demo lenses you can hold up and see for your self to try a tint or a mirror coating. My past glasses had copper colored titanium franes and copper tint so they matches. The titanium frames was to keep from turning green.

Omega Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
cobb said:
The titanium frames was to keep from turning green.
I had to cover my ear tabs with shrink wrap because my skin eats/dissolves silver plated anything, and it irratates my skin. My skin chewed right through those ear pieces in a month or less. :xyxgun:

guntotin_fool

Newly Enlightened
I find coatings too easily damaged. I prefer good glass lenses. Rayban glass, Vuarnet or Bolle glass are the tops in my book, I just saw a that Maui Jim is making glass now, but they want 300 bucks for polarized glass. RayBans are made by people who make optics too and usually off the most bang for the buck.

If was in a war setting, I was opt for the Wiley X glasses, they are poly carb and extremely strong. The only poly glasses I have now are a pair of shooters that I wear when shooting steel competition. They are older vuarnet "cat eye" frames with custom OSHA approved safety lenses in them. They are tough and the lense is good enough to wear all the time, although usually they go right back in the case when I am done with them. Current edc sunglasses are Vuarnet's that have PX5000 lenses in them. good color truth, and very good optical clarity.