Sunwayman C10R (XM-L, 1xCR123A/RCR) Review: RUNTIMES, VIDEO, BEAMSHOTS and more!

bebekhijau

Newly Enlightened
Hi, i just buy C10R but the engraving said 'ESPRESSO' instead 'TORPEDO'...
what is the difference ?

Eric242

Flashlight Enthusiast
No need to hope, it´s fact. If you search the marketplace you´ll find a thread that reveals the problem with the name Torpedo, that was already taken for another flashlight.

Eric

GehenSienachlinks

Newly Enlightened
Selfbuilt which you think has better beam , sunwayman c10r or sunwayman m11r ? From your pictures is looks like the c10r does not have a good flood compared to m11r . Also I don't know if your chart is wrong with cr123 med but according to sunwayman both light should have 10h on med but c10r only has 5h .

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Selfbuilt which you think has better beam , sunwayman c10r or sunwayman m11r ? From your pictures is looks like the c10r does not have a good flood compared to m11r . Also I don't know if your chart is wrong with cr123 med but according to sunwayman both light should have 10h on med but c10r only has 5h .
Well, the C10|R has a wider spill and a more sharply defined hotspot than the M11R (for equivalent overall output). The M11R has a brighter corona, so this provides a more even beam at close range (i.e., it is slightly less focused than the C10R).

As for the chart, those are the actual runtimes observed on the same batch of batteries. The C10R is brighter than the M11R, hence the shorter runtime on my sample.

member 6142

Newly Enlightened
Astounding review Selfbuilt, as always :)
May I ask you if you've some output AND/OR runtime figures with AW's IMR?

Thanks again

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Astounding review Selfbuilt, as always :)
May I ask you if you've some output AND/OR runtime figures with AW's IMR?
No, I typically only do IMR tests on very heavily-driven lights (where the discharge rate would seem to exceed the 2C specs for standard ICR chemistry). There's no real need to use IMR in the C10R, since it is not heavily-driven on max.

But in the few cases where I've done both AW protected ICR and AW IMR, I typically find one of two outcomes:

• For direct-drive-like discharge patterns, the IMR cell usually starts out a bit brighter than the ICR cell, but decays more rapidly
  • For flat-regulated discharge patterns, the IMR cell usually has the exact same regulated brightness, and is able to maintain the regulated state slightly longer than ICR.
Not sure which would be most applicable here, as the C10R isn't completely flat-regulated, but I expect the second outcome is most likely (i.e., I wouldn't expect a higher output on IMR).

member 6142

Newly Enlightened
I've done some comparative test (fully charged AW cells to red led blinking): on max level both chemistries perform the same. On Medium RCR123 had a great advantage 2:40' against 1:58' of the IMR.
I've nothing to complain about C10R as far as regulation on rechargeables is concerned when at max power.
Yet IMHO regulation at Medium is ...welll...uhm...:thumbsdow

This flashlight adds something to the 1x123 form factor: real support for RCR/IMR chemistries (yet no auto low voltage cutoff), very good regulation at max on every chemistry, very good beam (no artifacts). Yet no superlow setting. A lost chance :(

T45

Enlightened
Just bought a C10R from Going Gear with their Independence Day Sale. The UI is a little tricky to get used to. Odd thing: The momentary is HIGH ONLY. I have mine set with constant on mode as low, but when the momentary is used, it's always comes on in HIGH, no matter what level I left it in. As pointed out in the previous posts, the low could be lower. I don't use re-chargeables so the 18350 issue is not a concern for me. Overall I like this little light! It feels solid in the hand. I like that tail ring even. May have to order another one so I can use my own lanyard design. I thought the mirror finish instead of an OP for the reflector would be detrimental, but in the 2 days I have had this little nugget of a light, I have no complaints about that. Changed my EDC from an Eagletac D25A2 and Preon 2 to the C10R and a Foursevens Mini 123. Now that's easy carrying!

stienke

Enlightened
My C10R rides with me in my glovebox and get little use every month , it's modded by Vinh with a Neutral XM-L2 mounted on copper , it's brighter as standard and has a nice tint.
Because it's a back up light I use only CR123 batteries so it doesn't matter it can't take 18350 cells!

GJR

T45

Enlightened
1013505_10200214618953521_927704104_n.jpg

T45

Enlightened
I have been EDCing my new Sunwayman C10R for the last few days and the one thing that has been something of a quandary is...what to do about that UNC 1/4"-20 hole in the end. I noticed it was starting to pick up dust and lint from riding in my pocket. :thinking: Clearly unacceptable. I thought about using the lanyard attachment, but I just know the one time I am not monitoring it closely, my new light will come loose and all I will be left with, will be some dark colored paracord. No Bueno. So after scrolling through dozens of pages on google looking for "camara attachment" and "tripod attachment", I finally see EXACTLY what I had in mind. A SET SCREW! Turns out my local Ace Hardware has the exact size I needed, 1/4"-20 x 1/4" Length. At 53 cents each, I splurged and bought 2:sssh: I tried the ones with the hex key end, but once they were installed, not one sat flush with the end. Also, getting them back out was troublesome WITHOUT a hex key. So Slotted was the way to go. I can use my fingernail or a coin or anything with a thin edge to screw it in or out, and with a tiny bit of filing, it sits just below flush so my C10R still has all the tail standing capability I like. So here is my new customized C10R....

1073332_10200214618953521_927704104_o.jpg

Hmmm...I wonder if I could upgrade the LED to a Nichia 219? Vinhnyguen does do some excellent customizing.

Last edited:

fiveform

Newly Enlightened
Well, I just received mine at the very nice price of $37 from Amazon and thus far I'm impressed. I find that if you set the light to medium, then when you turn it off it comes back on at the same. Then, if you scroll through levels, low is next. HML was a none issue for me with this torch...
Typically great review, selfbuilt -- thanks!

Was looking to add this light to the collection, but H/M/L sequence is a knockout.

fiveform

Newly Enlightened
Spell "camara" as "camera" and you'll get more hits on "camera attachment..." :whistle:
I have been EDCing my new Sunwayman C10R for the last few days and the one thing that has been something of a quandary is...what to do about that UNC 1/4"-20 hole in the end. I noticed it was starting to pick up dust and lint from riding in my pocket. :thinking: Clearly unacceptable. I thought about using the lanyard attachment, but I just know the one time I am not monitoring it closely, my new light will come loose and all I will be left with, will be some dark colored paracord. No Bueno. So after scrolling through dozens of pages on google looking for "camara attachment" and "tripod attachment", I finally see EXACTLY what I had in mind. A SET SCREW! Turns out my local Ace Hardware has the exact size I needed, 1/4"-20 x 1/4" Length. At 53 cents each, I splurged and bought 2:sssh: I tried the ones with the hex key end, but once they were installed, not one sat flush with the end. Also, getting them back out was troublesome WITHOUT a hex key. So Slotted was the way to go. I can use my fingernail or a coin or anything with a thin edge to screw it in or out, and with a tiny bit of filing, it sits just below flush so my C10R still has all the tail standing capability I like. So here is my new customized C10R....

1002108_10200226212563354_1461648863_n.jpg

Hmmm...I wonder if I could upgrade the LED to a Nichia 219? Vinhnyguen does do some excellent customizing.