Sunwayman D40A - Another 4AA compact thrower

mhanlen

Enlightened
You know there's a certain website several posts up that gives a good price if you put in a request for a bulk order of one. Just got mine yesterday and paid in the low fiftys. It's an alright light. The "moonlight" mode isn't exactly "moonlight" though, but at least it's way lower than the lowest on the EA4. Quality is about on par or just slightly better than that light.

froggyted

Newly Enlightened
Sunwayman list a 2-light holiday package that includes a 1020 lumen version of the D40a. Most of the other specs are identical to the 980 lumen version, including throw and run times. Does anybody know whether this will replace the 980 lumen version, or is it just a limited edition?

froggyted

Newly Enlightened
Re: New Sunwayman D40A - Another 4AA compact thrower

That seems like a ridiculous compromise...although I won't knock it until I try it.

The point of the lanyard is that if you lose your grip, the lanyard will hold it for you. This solution seems to be more like the lanyard holds your grip rather than the flashlight.

This works surprisingly well, although i would be perfectly happy with the supplied lanyard if it had a lariat loop rather than metal fastener.

EDIT: If you have a minimum 20cm (excluding lariat loop) round-profile lanyard you can tie a slipknot and wear around your wrist instead of your fingers. Feed the lariat loop thread between your two middle fingers (for using with switch upwards). As long as you don't have the slipknot too tight around your wrist this provides a very secure and comfortable grip, and you definitely won't drop the light if you lose your grip.

Last edited:

froggyted

Newly Enlightened

Does anybody know whether the steel bezel is glued on? I read somewhere that it wasn't, but i have some specks of dust inside the glass and the bezel doesn't seem to want to budge.

RedForest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast

Does anybody know whether the steel bezel is glued on? I read somewhere that it wasn't, but i have some specks of dust inside the glass and the bezel doesn't seem to want to budge.

Mine wasn't, it just needed a tight grip (easier with grippy gloves on). Be very careful once it's open though, it's much easier to get more dust in than remove what's already there.

froggyted

Newly Enlightened

Mine wasn't, it just needed a tight grip (easier with grippy gloves on). Be very careful once it's open though, it's much easier to get more dust in than remove what's already there.

Thanks, unless it was you i read originally that makes two people who have successfully removed the bezel so i might have a go, although i appreciate what you say about more dust getting in, it seems to be easily attracted to the outside of the lens. That's one score for my LD41, which came with no noticeable dust inside.

Last edited: