Super Mac Ti EDC (2,500 lumens triple XPL)

ghos

Newly Enlightened
I only have one conversion pill left. Don't think there will be any more made.

Haha hint hint! Dellsuperman, you should probably get it from him while searching for your mac edc otherwise later must stack copper discs Haha

Gone fishing is selling a mac tri to.. can't believe it's been more then a month since these surfaced!

ghos

Newly Enlightened
Datiled already has copper pills for his engines!

Ah, didn't know that, will do a search on it.. thanks for the tip! Have an idea for a high powered build for a sundrop i am thinking..

Am thinking of boring the haiku to accomodate a 18350 cell instead, can squeeze out even more lumens :D

archimedes

Flashaholic
....Have an idea for a high powered build for a sundrop i am thinking..

Am thinking of boring the haiku to accomodate a 18350 cell instead, can squeeze out even more lumens :D

The threads would get very thin :(

I think that @Moddoo still has a couple of compatible 18350 "splitbody" tubes available for sale here, though.

Not sure about shipping international, but you might be able to work something out ....

ghos

Newly Enlightened
The threads would get very thin :(

I think that @Moddoo still has a couple of compatible 18350 "splitbody" tubes available for sale here, though.

Not sure about shipping international, but you might be able to work something out ....

Hmm will check it out also.. 16340 is good but it lacks the punch the 18350 gives, of course 18650 is even better but that would be a different class of lights..

Looks like McBrat has sold his last triple conversion pill! If anyone else wants to do this mod most probably have to settle for his standard copper pills and buy a copper rod and cut it to size and stack it on top, would work well too

I see someone has bought his Alum EN plated EDC :D

DellSuperman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks like McBrat has sold his last triple conversion pill! If anyone else wants to do this mod most probably have to settle for his standard copper pills and buy a copper rod and cut it to size and stack it on top, would work well too

Hmmm.. Last pill bought by me!
And Al en plated EDC, by me too!!!

mcbrat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm will check it out also.. 16340 is good but it lacks the punch the 18350 gives, of course 18650 is even better but that would be a different class of lights..

my prototype was copper washers stacked... :)

The shop that made the pills can make more, but I don't know what the cost would be on a very small run. but at least they already have the CNC file for them....

ghos

Newly Enlightened
my prototype was copper washers stacked... :)

The shop that made the pills can make more, but I don't know what the cost would be on a very small run. but at least they already have the CNC file for them....

Ah, but the problem is the light in question is no longer being producted (extinct!!), so demand on it wouldn't be very high.. save for a few crazy modders like us..

My prototype was our 1 cent coins, soft and conducts heat well, and can be filed and flattend to fit anywhere

Hint :

4.jpg

DellSuperman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ah, but the problem is the light in question is no longer being producted (extinct!!), so demand on it wouldn't be very high.. save for a few crazy modders like us..

My prototype was our 1 cent coins, soft and conducts heat well, and can be filed and flattend to fit anywhere

Hint :

4.jpg

Actually i have another solution for this.
Buy extra copper triple MCPCB, file the top layer (red coating side) off then solder a few pieces (depending on the height needed) & you will have a nice solid chunk of copper heatsink with a hole in the middle already.

The thing about our 1 cents coins are that they are copper coated zinc.

ghos

Newly Enlightened
Actually i have another solution for this.
Buy extra copper triple MCPCB, file the top layer (red coating side) off then solder a few pieces (depending on the height needed) & you will have a nice solid chunk of copper heatsink with a hole in the middle already.

The thing about our 1 cents coins are that they are copper coated zinc.

Yeah but a bit wasted to use those triple stars.. I even cut them up nicely so I can use it to house 3 separate LEDs (on small builds).. best would be to go to a hardware store and buy a copper rod, cut it down to size and drill a big hole in the middle

Gonefishing has lowered his price of his mac tri to 6XX.. can't believe it.. if he had posted it 1 month ago in dec I would probably have bought it.. and it comes with a FET + 1 driver and drilled optics

But the one I bought now is really the one I want, and modding is the fun part of this hobby!

DellSuperman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah but a bit wasted to use those triple stars.. I even cut them up nicely so I can use it to house 3 separate LEDs (on small builds).. best would be to go to a hardware store and buy a copper rod, cut it down to size and drill a big hole in the middle

Gonefishing has lowered his price of his mac tri to 6XX.. can't believe it.. if he had posted it 1 month ago in dec I would probably have bought it.. and it comes with a FET + 1 driver and drilled optics

But the one I bought now is really the one I want, and modding is the fun part of this hobby!

Yeah, price is quite attractive.
If its a EDC format, i would have gone for it.. Kinda burst my budget for the month for light but cant afford to lose out again. Hahaha..

Those empty triple are quite cheap & considering that i dont have to do as much as buying rod to work on, it's pretty worth it..
But getting a copper rod is a pretty good idea. I should find them somewhere near my area. Hahah...

ghos

Newly Enlightened
Just tested the Mac ti during a walk on a completely dark trail, seems the 7135 x 1 really kicks in, supposingly, a triple running on low is more efficient then a single running at higher power lumens equivalent?

Then you start to realise you want more runtime when you are out in the forest! Will probably do a low and medium runtime test to see how long it could last

ghos

Newly Enlightened
So I've been carrying around the light almost daily, on turbo (DD) it seems to suck the battery really quickly, I can see a dip in 5-10% of battery for every 10 second burst of full power, of course, being direct drive on turbo, as the voltage gets lower and lower, so will the output and hence the runtime, the brightness does remain somewhat constant on low and medium modes (7135), and mainly used in "medium" mode, battery seems to last really long, since I'm using it daily I couldn't really measure the low and medium runtimes, and probably won't dare to leave it running on high or turbo as it might probably do something to the driver or LED

I've modded the tailcap from the traditional black tailcap, changed it to a special white glow tailcap (stripped from some light bought at the home department). I didn't like the empty "void" surrounding the tailcap (retaining ring), so I cut out the "cap" in a white tailcap, turn it inside out and press fit it into the button so it's (somewhat) flush with the glow tailcap

Its press fit hard enough so it's probably waterproof on its own, but didn't really test it out, I'm comtemplating whether to "drill" some small holes in it and stuff some tiny trits into it, could probably make a nice display

Next mod will be drilled tritium slots in the triple optic and to replace the trits in the tailclip screws

glow.jpg

mcbrat

Flashlight Enthusiast
if you have a copper pill in a regular Tri, you can drive those harder...

Ghos, nice work! I think mine may be direct drive now... not sure, I should test it. I had a qlite 3.04A driver, but did something bad with my soldering iron, and it's just a single mode, triple XPL, and it's bright!

tested my driver on a non-fresh Purple efest 18350 and it was pulling just over 4 Amps. so I definitely did something accidently to my driver than just make it single mode.... how is that even possile with the qlite 3.04A driver? isn't it maxed out because of the 7135 chips?

DellSuperman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Check of the led negative wire if it is shorted to the ground of the driver.. This is usually the cause of direct drive shorts.

Last edited: