Surefire 9AN and 8AX

soldonsurefire

Newly Enlightened
surefire-9an-8ax-1.JPG
surefire-9an-8ax-2-1.JPG

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used to have several some ha black some ha natural, one ha nat with a turbohead. Or was that one black? Can't remember for certain. I wonder if that one is my old one? Haha.

soldonsurefire

Newly Enlightened
I used to have several some ha black some ha natural, one ha nat with a turbohead. Or was that one black? Can't remember for certain. I wonder if that one is my old one? Haha.
I bought this directly from Surefire.I still have the original shipping box.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have you tried one of the 18650 adapters? I love them in my 9N's. I never could get much runtime or use out of the B90's and B92's.

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like all of the above. Want, but's probably not in my cards. Thx for posting, soldonsurfire, and keep them coming.

Roger Sully

Flashlight Enthusiast
I absolutely love the 8(x) seeies of lights! I have one that I upgraded with a 3 mode LED that I use for dog walks.
Cam across this a little while ago....

IMG_0616.JPG

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast
I will second the Lumens Factory 8X-LED module and 18650 battery adaptor with McClicky Switch to revive the old 8 series Surefire flashlights.

Having used them for years, I too am very found of the 8NX's size, feel and operation.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
wow, those adapters cost a fortune
:eek:

... really, as I do not get the positive thing from that setup; isnt that toting around air for nothing?

let us please assume everything else is comparable:
what is the gain of the 8X/9N +18650 setup compared to the small 18650 6P on the left of my pic here?
temp1.jpg

but maybe coming from the hiking side, the smaller package is just important for me
;)

I never liked 6R, or the 8X, but the 9N was my main light ... from '95 - 2004,
when I got the heads by accident and made those bodys from epoxy to be able to use them.
Not only better high beam, but the secondary low beam, that was quite unique back then.
... used mainly for light on the bars of the mountainbike for night rides; that the clamp was for.

if I were to use the lights today, I would build "better" battery sticks,
like everyone did back in the last milennium.
temp2.jpg

There are even 5.000 mAh rated ones available today, imho (?)

soldonsurefire

Newly Enlightened
Firstly not everyone has the same goals or objectives in their accumulation of flashlights.

I like the incans.I'll use these old lights until the incan bulbs become unavailable and then and only then will I use led's.

I just want to keep these old school lights in use.I like their form and sometimes that trumps function.

muichimon

Newly Enlightened
The great thing about incan lights is their simplicity. It is easy to identify the cause of the light not turning on, and if you stock replacement batteries and bulbs, you can return immediately. And the light from the bulb is gentle on the eyes and calms the mood. Compared to LED lights, it is darker and has lower luminous efficiency, but that is also good.