Surefire 9P late batch (new logo) -- to HAIII or not?

yazkaz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Folks, some years ago I procured a near-mint 9P from eB which apparently is from a later batch and features new (current) SF logo marking. Nowever, not being a fan of HAII finishes I intend to have this 9P host stripped and reanodized in HAIII through a reputable metal processing facility.

I've been to this facility for HAIII reanodize services twice and know that they can do HAIII reanodize very nicely, as long as all instructions are being carried out (thickness, masking/plugging issues etc.)

Knowing that a late-batch SF body could yield very nice Type 3 (HAIII) Hard Clear (OD) results I intend to do the same on this late-batch 9P in question, only to be strongly cautioned (by a certain flashaholic authority here) against doing so, as a late-batch 9P in SF new logo is considered very rare and should thus be kept as is.

But while that authority is correct, to me, keeping an SF host in stock HAII only applies if the HAII stock anodize is indeed superior and thick enough to withstand even the lightest abrasions, something the current HAII on most SF bodies fails to, which apparently goes the same with this 9P in question.

So, any suggestions? Should I just keep this new-logoed 9P host as is, or just go ahead with the HAIII OD reanodize? BTW, this host has already been modified with the following
- Xeno flat bezel ring upgrade on Z44 bezel host
- McClicky switch upgrade on Z41 tail host.

Feedback appreciated!!

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Should I just keep this new-logoed 9P host as is
While I can appreciate knucklegary's ideology, which if I am not mistaken is, "do what you want," in this case doing so is adverse to logic. The light is rare and therefore valuable as is, and it will be worth less by modifying it. The cost of modification itself is thrown down the drain. You can rationalize the personal value to yourself all you want, but the market dictates its value, not you.

The solution is so simple. Put that light away and get another. Are you kidding me? This is a no brainer.

9P-BK B78535 Condition: New Sealed $140.00 Has never been opened all these years has been stored away pm for more pic's.

While I wanted this for myself, my stars are just not aligned. I don't really care what you do, but I still must beg you, please, please make sense, and err on the side of not being destructive.

Last edited:

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Honestly it's Not super rare. if you plan on selling it someday keep it stock and put her away And grab another one on eBay. I got one in great shape for 100 bucks.

whats the logo look like?BTW.

Some people collect rare items/cars/knives/handbags/etc to keep stored away and take them out to admire now and then. Others use the rare item and enjoy the experience.

If you plan to store the light away, then leave it as it is. Scratch resistance won't be an issue when it's sitting on the shelf. Original finish will help retain its value.

If you plan to use the Iight regularly, then do what you want to make the experience how you wish it to be.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Shelf queen? Leave it stock or with reversable mods. Something you plan on using "in the field"? (as in may get bumped, bruised, fall off a truck or dropped onto concrete) you know what you should do.

I'd plasti-dip that sucker yellow and tell everybody it's a G3.

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
This reminds me of the story of Little Rabbit, who envies all the other animals he meets in the forest. Finally, a fairy grants him his wish for a beautiful pair of red wings. When Little Rabbit discovers that he cannot fly and that even his mother no longer recognizes him, he understands and accepts his role as a rabbit.

yazkaz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks all for your suggestions. Think I'll keep this 9P in stock and limited to just the said two reversible mods. Which is a pity though, as I know the HAIII OD would turn out great. But like some have mentioned, in order to retain the item's maximum value, I'll have to let the HAIII OD go...

That said, I still have two HAII C3s that will go through HAIII (Hard Black) reano. It's a must, as the original black HAII has been scratched here and there. Had the HAII black finish been immaculate then I would've have kept them as is as well, but sadly this is not the case.

I also have a mint Z2 with very thick HAII glossy (medium-high sheen) black finish. This is a no-brainer though -- it is being kept as is.

How about applying "hard chrome" plating?
Yaz can then say it's a PK special :cool:
Sorry, no other exotic coating other than HAIII. Besides, the HAIII batch redo is already quite expensive.

Kind of reminds me of Fivemega's modded 6P host in custom nickel plating, but that's another story......

swampgator

Enlightened
It's really simple and reminds me of what my son (15 at the time) said when I was talking about having some 1920s era Colt revolvers refinished.

"It only loses resale value if you sell it, and you never sell your pistols".

So if you never plan on selling it, do as you wish.

letschat7

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I only knew these 9Ps were rare. I opened one up and was disappointed that it didn't have USA on the tail cap. I would have gladly traded my newer one for an older one.

9P is a light I wanted once I got a 6P which is a bit too short. Lowes offered to order me one back in the day but it cost so much then.

yazkaz

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I only knew these 9Ps were rare. I opened one up and was disappointed that it didn't have USA on the tail cap. I would have gladly traded my newer one for an older one.

9P is a light I wanted once I got a 6P which is a bit too short. Lowes offered to order me one back in the day but it cost so much then.
I originally didn't like the newer-logoed SF bodies either, which prompted me to consider the HAIII redo, also knowing that the newer batch has metal substrate that allows for a better Hard Clear shading finish. In the end I abandoned the HAIII redo on this 9P in question, not only because the newer-logoed one is a rarity, but more importantly the stock Type 2 finish is near immaculate -- with the exception of the Z41 tailcap which has a little ding on the finish. Eventually replaced that Z41 with another one -- also without "Surefire USA" imprint -- and now this entire 9P host looks great.

Speaking of non-"Surefire USA" tailcaps... I know it sucks to a lot of people, including myself. But then to replace such Z41 with another one with the "Surefire USA" imprint and onto a newer-logoed SF host, is kind of strange IMHO.

letschat7

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well when you grow up seeing usa or made in usa on your flashlight then suddenly it is not, that is usually a sign that some outsourcing has happened which means lower quality and the price stays the same or goes up. It leaves a bad taste. I know Surefire is in CA where they have the 100% rule. They also produced light modules in Mexico, make parts in Malaysia, and their recharge batteries are probably made in China. Still I prefer the USA marking just like I want to see Swiss Made or Japan on some products. As soon as I can find an older NIB 9P I'm getting one or even the original style one because I have a Stallion Leather holster that doesn't fit the newer style.