Surefire U2 Ultra

trvc

Newly Enlightened
Is it possible to increase the output on the Surefire U2 Digital Ultra .It's a great light I love the size but more output would definitely be desirable any help/information would be appreciated thank you

Is it possible to increase the output on the Surefire U2 Digital Ultra .It's a great light I love the size but more output would definitely be desirable any help/information would be appreciated thank you

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
The U2 is one of the best lights Surefire ever made. It's a shame they decided to drop it. But they made a lot of mistakes like that back then trying to compete with cheap Chinese manufactures when their military contracts ran dry.

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
The U2 is one of the best lights Surefire ever made. It's a shame they decided to drop it. But they made a lot of mistakes like that back then trying to compete with cheap Chinese manufactures when their military contracts ran dry.
I've had an early Lux V U2 since I bought it used on CPF in 2009. Great flashlight. They tried again with the UM2 but I sold mine after those turned into collectibles.

trvc

Newly Enlightened
Hey @trvc I've done an LED swap on a U2 in the thread @scalpel_ninja posted. It depends on the version of the LED. If you post a picture of the LED in the center of the reflector, it can help determine the level of effort.
Are these OK

Attachments

• IMG_7382.PNG
    IMG_7382.PNG
    256.1 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_7381.jpg
    IMG_7381.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 23

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Looks like the LuxV emitter to me, w/ that central cross showing the 4 dies. Is that the opinion of others here?

The LuxV version is def. the better upgrade candidate; they are driven at ~twice the level of the later SSC P4 version. So with modern emitters in both, ~twice the output.
/And/ the boost driver is a better match to a single large-capacity LiIon cell compared to the buck driver of the later version.