Surefire 660 build.

Brandonbeezy

Newly Enlightened
Hello, this is my first post and first full build.
Got a 660 body coming in the mail, I want to kinda build it into an obnoxious weapon light. I was thinking about a 9v conversion with a Malkoff m91. But then I was reading about the hound dog super. I believe this will thread onto the surefire body. Either way I will need a body extension, I'm kinda confused about what I need with that. I believe that I need an a19 for the 9v conversion. But i am not opposed to having it bored out and running multiple 18650 type batteries. Would need recommendations on where to send the body for that.

The light will be run with a tape switch, so no long periods of run time with the M91 in the factory Z32 shock bezel if I go that route. 52699563113_0b602b12ba_c.jpg[url=https://flic.kr/p/2ohT368]Vintage 660 light by brandon, on Flickr[/URL]

Im open to suggestions, but keep in mind, i chose the 660 for a specific reason. So, I don't want to switch to a completely different body.

Thanks!

thermal guy

Flashaholic
The hound dog super will thread onto the surefire body but it will not function.

Brandonbeezy

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the replies guys, so i guess i just need to figure out if the A19 is the one i actually need, and if i should bore it out.

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
Attaching old-school Surefire weaponlights, a subject near and dear to my heart!
(I have a 6P on my stick with a Nailbender LED Module on a UTG mount.)

So to be clear, the thing you're getting is the camo head and body in the the picture plus the black extension that's with it? That black extension is an A21. It adds (1) CR123 and converts a weaponlight body to take a tailcap or tapeswitch. You'll notice when you unscrew the extension from the body, the male threaded section on the camo weaponlight body is shorter than the male threads on the A21. The weaponlight body is made to screw into an extension or a weaponlight system and the threads on the A21 are made to screw into a tailcap or tapeswitch. If you want to add a single CR123 to that setup for 9 total volts, you'd need to add an A19. That's got the tail-cap length male and female threads on both ends and can turn a 6P into a 9P.

A Malkoff M91 should drop right into that Surefire Weaponlight shock isolated bezel and be very bright. I had an older Surefire forend light and I had to do some judicious Dremel work to put a Malkoff head in it, but oddly enough on a newer one, I didn't have to do anything. A Malkoff M61 dropped right in. The fitting ring mentioned is to address the shock-isolating foam in the head of that bezel. It compresses it a little to keep the module from jumping around and losing connectivity. My Malkoff M61 runs in my Surefire forend on an 870 just fine without it, so you might want to try it out before worrying about the fitting ring.

NOW, since you want an obnoxious weaponlight :) , you could get a C-to-M converter and run a LumensFactory Mini-Turbohead or Seraph Turbohead for a nice big fat light blaster (assuming the mount clears the rest of your setup) but you'd lose the camo shock-bezel. You might also need a spacer depending on how the C-to-M plays nice with the weaponlight head. Just a suggestion.

Anyway, let us know how you make out! If you're using rings or a clamp of some kind, I recommend a strip of innertube over the light body to prevent scratching it and keep it from sliding around.

Last edited:

Brandonbeezy

Newly Enlightened
I honestly did not know that the 660 was a 2-piece body... that is awesome...

The head/bezel that's on it will be cleaned and sold off. If I choose to stick with factory surefire ill pick up and old gen Z32 like pictured here on my other 660.

52702095218_7ecae378ba_k.jpg
20230220_215848 by brandon, on Flickr

Ive had this light for 5 years now and had no idea it was a combo of an L60 and an A21. Thanks for that!

Last edited:

Brandonbeezy

Newly Enlightened
Ok so A19 is what I currently need. looking around I'm also seeing an A14. What's that one do?

Ill look into the conversion you mentioned, i have plenty of room with my setup.

Brandonbeezy

Newly Enlightened

Got the 660 today, dude threw in a tail cap from I believe a g2. Gonna track down the A19 next, maybe two, they seem pretty rare though. Then ill start looking into a head swap. I do like the looks of the seraph. The set up it'll live on will have plenty of room for the 50mm head.
going to get a XM00 tail cap on the way to run a tape switch as well. should be a fun light!
Also got an L60 body only new in the bag on the way from eBay. long term id like to build up a "brand new" 660 with a mint old gen Z32 bezel, A21, and a U04.... though the U04 are way over priced right now..

Attachments

• 20230221_184531.jpg
    20230221_184531.jpg
    217 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:

Brandonbeezy

Newly Enlightened
The A19 is kind of hard to find these days. This might suit you:

That is pretty awesome, I think it would fit the build visually too. I wonder if there is an aftermarket replacement for the A21? That adapter could be shortened on the female end and accomplish the same thing. Cool, I'm glad I joined. I've learned quite a bit in a small amount of time.

Brandonbeezy

Newly Enlightened
Got the Seraph, adapter, and the extension coming. Cant help but tthink this set up would look awesome on a m961... and i do happen to have a couple fat bodies laying around..

Brandonbeezy

Newly Enlightened
Its potted so honestly shouldn't be too bad. Ill mount it on my sbr right over the flash hider to test if yall want. Lots of concussion on that one.

Pic for reference.

Attachments

• 20221129_111349.jpg
    20221129_111349.jpg
    341.9 KB · Views: 116

Brandonbeezy

Newly Enlightened
So the stuff got here. Unfortunately with the adapter the seraph head wont thread onto the 660. I believe the spring is catching the plastic isolater in the body. Gonna figure it out later, buttttt it fit right onto my millennium.