Surefire AZ2 Review with pictures and beamshots

SuperTrouper

Enlightened
As you can see in the pics it has a much warmer tint than the XP-Gs I tested it against.

I'm quite enjoying the tint, but other than that I simply cannot stop playing with this light :D The hotspot of the main beam may be a bit narrow but the spill is huge!

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks. I apologize for having missed that in your review.

Even though it is a nice light to have, I can't help feeling that I would be leaning more towards the LX2 or the Stratum for my daily use. I guess only time would tell whether I favor the AZ2.

The Stratum has a slightly brighter (by a slight margin) and bigger hotspot but with the same amount of spill as the AZ2.

The LX2 is just a different beast altogether. It has a bigger and brighter hotspot than the AZ2 and Stratum and although it is not as bright and wide in the spill, it is still ample. At about 50 meters, the throw of the LX2 just wins both hands down.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
E-Series compatible ... who would have though. Cool! :cool:

But .... I wonder why they opted for this ridiculously wide spill and needle like spot? I really want this light, but the beam pattern ... ugh! :sick2:

bernie

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast

But .... I wonder why they opted for this ridiculously wide spill and needle like spot? I really want this light, but the beam pattern ... ugh! :sick2:

bernie
I guess it has to do with the 4 LEDs in there, always wrongly referred to by many as "small LEDs" as they are even bigger than the main LED. They sort of took up the extra space from the reflector which indirectly affects the main beam profile. My main beam is not exactly round in shape. In fact, it looks a little bit like a triangle with very rounded sides. Not too bad, just not so circular overall.

DimeRazorback

Flashlight Enthusiast

bernie

It appears the same beam shape as the Z2-S, and it would be great for clearing rooms imo. Then you have the extra throw from the hotspot, to pinpoint and light up an offender. :)

Rjkpsmith

Newly Enlightened
Do any of you guys who own an AZ2 know whether or not the tailcap is C-series compatible? That would be awesome if the AZ2's two stage twisty would work on a C2... Perhaps if you could buy the tailcap separately from Surefire this could be a replacement for the discontinued McGizmo McC2s switch... which is much needed, in my opinion. If anyone who has an AZ2 could check that would be great... :)

whitedoom34

Newly Enlightened
The switch is not compatible with the C series, as the tail threads of lights with this UI are square.

I wonder who will be the first to lego up a LZ2?:devil:

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
The switch is not compatible with the C series, as the tail threads of lights with this UI are square.

I wonder who will be the first to lego up a LZ2?:devil:

What do you mean by square threading? AZ2 does not have square threads. Btw, the tail cap diameter of the LX2 and AZ2 are not the same so it won't fit if you intend to Lego them. On the other hand, the bezel of the AZ2 does fit on an E2e and switches on in high mode with all the LEDs lit up.

SuperTrouper

Enlightened
The tailcap from the AZ2 fits on a Solarforce L2 so I assume it's P-series compatible and all those similar.

I'll try out a 6P with the AZ2 tailcap tonight though.

SuperTrouper

Enlightened
I tested my AZ2 tailcap with my 6P with a Malkoff M61W in this evening.

Not only did it fit the 6P but it also seemed to give the M61W two stages of output. I guess it's a resistored tailcap!

Last edited:

Rjkpsmith

Newly Enlightened

Not only did it fit the 6P but it also seemed to give the M61W two stages of output. I guess it's a resitored tailcap!

Awesome! That is great to hear that it works! Can you estimate how many lumens you get in the resistored low mode on the Malkoff M61w? Now I just need to see If Surefire will sell this tailcap separately - I am hoping to get one to put on a C2.

Thanks for testing it out for us...:thumbsup:

SuperTrouper

Enlightened
I read people repeatedly stating that you need like double the lumens to notice the difference.

If that's true we're talking at least a 50% output reduction on the first stage, the difference is quite noticeable but I couldn't hazard a guess as to how many lumens. I don't think our eyes are really well suited to judge such things.

sfca

Enlightened
Awesome! That is great to hear that it works! Can you estimate how many lumens you get in the resistored low mode on the Malkoff M61w? Now I just need to see If Surefire will sell this tailcap separately - I am hoping to get one to put on a C2.

Thanks for testing it out for us...:thumbsup:

Oh yes.. That's a great idea. If there's no effect on lumens that + C2 would be GREAT!
Would make the C2 on the longer side (total length=?) but it'd be sweet with say a single-mode SST-50 drop-in to have "low mode".

Somebody try it and report back :) :)

Dennis

Newly Enlightened

Not only did it fit the 6P but it also seemed to give the M61W two stages of output. I guess it's a resistored tailcap!

I did the same thing but it seemed like the two levels were very close. I tried it with a Wildcat and saw almost no difference...

I do wish SF would come out with a universal two-stage tailcap since they own the patent... The old McClicky two-stage upgrade was nice, but an integrated solution would be better.

Dennis.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Sorry for the late bump (just catching up on some old threads), but this was important news for the folks here who try to follow things like this. A C-series-compatible two-stage resistored tailcap from SureFire!! I'll bet it's still configured as 10 ohms, and it would need to be changed to something 125 ohms to get back to a good low, but still! Has anybody had any luck with getting this tailcap separately? On the rare occasions that a McC2S comes up for sale, they are valued at ~$100 or so.

tsl

Enlightened
Can anyone comment on the "in hand" and "in pocket" size difference between the AZ2 and the A2? I know that the specs say that the AZ2 bezel diameter is 1.25" (compared to the A2's 1.13") and that the AZ2 is slightly longer. How does that difference translate when the light is in your hand or pocket? I have an A2 and am interested in understanding the relative size of the AZ2 compared to it.

Thanks!

SuperTrouper

Enlightened
It's quite a significant difference imo. The A2 is practically E-series. I.e. easily pocket carriable. The AZ2 is closer in size to the Z2/6P size lights, and a bit longer than them too.

Latest posts