Federal LG

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Surefire E1e - broken lens & tailcap !!!! + Letter to Customer Service

PÉÉÉÉÉÉÉÉÉÉ!! (horn)

Wrong answer, FredM!

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast

At least you're writing a letter. If one letter was written for every complaint about SF on this forum we might see some changes. I have no doubt it was letters and requests from "normal users" that got the camo G2 and two stage Outdoorsman lights made.

Glen C

Enlightened

Mike that was a very civilised and clear letter, I hope it brings some speedy satisfaction.

MikeSalt

Flashlight Enthusiast

FredM, you have me wrong there, I really like SF lights, even though I have owned them for such a short time.

My problem is with the tailcap, rather than the glass window. Small crystalline fractures in glass make it break easily, and these often do not surface until you actually break it. There is not alot SF can do to test this. My problem lies in the fact that they opted to use the less reliable click-switch tailcap to widen the customer base, rather than using the tried-and-tested SF-designed momentary twisty.

Thank you to KeyGrip and GlenC for their kind words, big :thanks: to TigerhawkT3 for proof-reading and correction suggestions.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Re: World Class Customer Service?

On Friday 9th May, I had a message from home telling me I had a package. I was sure that this must be the replacement parts for my E1e, having been over a week since Surefire told me they would post out the parts. It could not possibly be the Fenix E01 that had only been sent out 4 days prior via Free International Shipping....:thinking:

Today.... I am the owner of an E01!:thumbsup:

So, I ask the question, can Surefire REALLY claim to have 'World Class Customer Service'? FenixStore appear to have no problem at all delivering to me within 4 days, with no delivery costs, yet Surefire have now had 11 days to put things right. In fact, the flashlight has been out of action for 13 days now.:rant:

Thats messed up. I think you have every right to post your opinions. Please continue to do so openly. If SF C/S fixes it and makes it all right again, post it openly. If they continue to leave you hanging... flame on!! I think you can accomplish this without degenerating this into a F-vs-SF war (that would be my suggestion:twothumbs).

IMHO members need to be wary of this kind of thing. There is a real element of risk, buying a known flawed design for critical application (SAR, LEO, EMT...etc...) even IF its from a reputable manufacturer. I (for one) would never buy a clicky switch light thats more than ~$25.... EVEN if it is made by SF, or some other manufacturer with a good C/S track record. IMHO its just not worth the investment, or being left out in the dark. The "basic" internal mechanics in those things is nothing more than a freebie ball-point click pen.

That being said... I have had GREAT results from my $17 Energizer (Nuwai) 1AA from Target, which is a single mode forward clicky, and my Lowes TF has been very reliable. I have a generic Chinese 1AA clicky torch thats finicky however.

Good Luck!!

Last edited:

blinder switch

Newly Enlightened

FredM, you have me wrong there, I really like SF lights, even though I have owned them for such a short time.
Mike- Good deal and I am happy that you like them. I sure do.

My problem is with the tailcap, rather than the glass window. Small crystalline fractures in glass make it break easily, and these often do not surface until you actually break it. There is not alot SF can do to test this. My problem lies in the fact that they opted to use the less reliable click-switch tailcap to widen the customer base, rather than using the tried-and-tested SF-designed momentary twisty.

quote]

Mike,

I have been following this thread for a couple of days now to see what the outcome will be. I also like very much my 2 E1e's very much, yet they are not my most used, nor favorite. I made a foolish mistake with my 1st E1e one day when I was doing some goofing around. OK CPF folks, I ask that you please don't come down on me too hard, but I have learned from my mistake...OK:laughing:. The bulbs from the E1e-BK's and my E2D's are very similar, for example the MNO1 lamps are for my E1e's only, and the bulbs / lamps, or MNO3's are for my E2D's. The dumb *** thing that I did was put an already opened MNO3 lamp, that was temporarily out of my SC3 carrier, into the E1e-BK light. :caution:Warning!!!:caution: Most everyone here already knows this here at CPF but, if you click that E1e on get ready for a miniture explosion with a MNO3 lamp inside a E1e SF light. It did massive damage to the lamp (exploded) and some other small parts, otherwise it was fine. I called SureFire and told them exactly what happened and in about a week I had a new lamp, misc part and they were nice enough to include the new HA bezel:D, in this pic you can notice this by the color of the bezel. I was actually ready to pay for all of this if needed, yet the very nice Lady did not question anything and stated I would be receiving the replacement parts soon. They were true to their word and well needless to say I have all of my extra lamps, and misc stuff organized, inspected, dated and secured much better than before that event. Also notice that the only light in that pic that is unopened is another E1e I bought online for about a price of %13 less than the MSRP, because that online company is discontinuing the E1e-BK's. I have not opened it up yet, because I do believe that the E1e-BK is being replaced with the E1e-HA model, and I'm trying to justify in my mind, that this little light might be a collector someday:crackup:. Anyway I thought that I would share my excellent customer service from them, and my sheer stupidity for not being more careful.

Mike I wish you luck in getting your E1e back to full duty, and I will try to monitor this thread to see how it goes for you.
e1emikesalt.jpg

MikeSalt

Flashlight Enthusiast

blinder switch. I never knew that putting a 2 cell bulb in a 1 cell light would cause an explosion. Putting a 1 cell bulb in a 2 cell light, I can understand, because the voltage is twice what it should be.

It is great that Surefire saw you right. I wouldn't know that your bezel was not the original because my E1e looked like a patchwork quilt of colors from brand-new.

Hopefully, in the reply to my letter, SF may detail the reasoning behind changing to the Z57 tailcap, and why it takes a long time for them to ship out. I highly doubt that they will take my Z52 suggestion seriously. They might offer it as an option part, or find one that dropped down the back of the cupboard for me. Here's hoping :twothumbs:

tussery

Enlightened

Don't worry Mike I have been waiting on a replacement A2/L1 tailcap for 2 months now and I am in the US. They most likely didn't put it into the system, and I haven't found the time to call again.

MikeSalt

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well, so far, it has been...

29 days since my E1e last functioned,

27 days since Surefire assured me that a replacement tailcap is on the way

and

11 days since sending the letter of complaint

and still, NOTHING :devil:

Should I email them again, or will this damage the credibility of the letter requesting the return of the Z52?

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast

Please remember that in the US we just had a long holiday weekend. That said, a polite inquiry might not be a bad idea.

MikeSalt

Flashlight Enthusiast

I can now rule out delays caused by holidays and customs delays. I have just received a Fenix L0D-CE Q4 that was ordered on 9th May, 8 days after Surefire said that they would send out the replacement parts. FenixStore are US-based, so are subject to the same holidays, and I had to pay import duty, so that included customs delays too.

That elliminates the usual excuses. The only rational explanation is that the Z57 fails with such consistency that Surefire have run out of stock.

This is utterly disgusting, and an example of seriously lacking customer service! This flashlight has been out of action for a month now.

Last edited:

Federal LG

Flashlight Enthusiast

I´m feel bad for you, Mike. :mecry:

That´s just... ridiculous!! What´s happening to Surefire ??

And I PRAY that I don´t have a lemon Surefire, in a future. I live in Brasil... Can you imagine how long I would have to wait ??

:sssh:

kramer5150

Flashaholic

terrible:shakehead...

I wonder if it got lost/stuck in customs? I can only hope, being in california that if my 6P ever dies, it will be fixed promptly.
Clicky switches ought to come with a warning of some sort "CAUTION, will crap out at any time."

MikeSalt

Flashlight Enthusiast

if my 6P ever dies

Good luck with that! Looking at the similar G2, I fail to see HOW it could possibly die. It is such an elegant and robust design.

Clicky switches ought to come with a warning of some sort "CAUTION, will crap out at any time."
Too right :thumbsup:

MikeSalt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Finally, some good news...

:twothumbs At last, I have received an email explaining the delays I am experiencing...

Surefire Customer Service said:
Dear Mr. Michael Salt,

Thank you so much for the email and the information. We are so sorry for the delay and I really do not have a good explanaiton. Our repair department has been very backed up and it seems the orders were not processed correctly. Our sincerest aplogoy for the delay. I will now be combining both items together on one order and include 1 box of batteires along with the order. I hope this helps and again please accept our apology.

I should be able to get the order shipped tomorrow, once it does I will provide you with the tracking.

Kind regards,

Noni Hazard
On behalf of the Sureifire International Department.
SureFire LLC
International Department
Tel: 714-545-9444 Fax: 714-545-9537

That free box of batteries had better be a 72-pack! I did ask if they had received my letter of complaint, but they failed to answer that question. Time to bother them again :devil:

Glen C

Enlightened

Mike you deserved a good result on this one, glad you are getting the free batteries. Are you sure the letter is genuine? If you are let Ms Hazard know that Surefire only has one I in it. ;) As she doesn't work in International she probably isn't aware you cant ship a box of batteries by air, it is a safety hazard. Only joking with the above comments. :laughing:

It is great to see how they rectified this, very fair. It is nice to see a happy ending.

Noni Hazard

On behalf of the Sureifire International Department.
SureFire LLC
International Department
Tel: 714-545-9444 Fax: 714-545-9537

LightInTheWallet

Newly Enlightened

Free box of batteries (cr123's) from overseas? I think that might eliminate the expedient method of airplane shipment. I'm sure someone here has bookmarked the U.S. restrictions on bulk lithium batteries via aircraft. Not sure if it applies to non-passenger aircraft, though. Hope you get your parts A.S.A.P.

MikeSalt

Flashlight Enthusiast

Our repair department has been very backed up

That's not a good sign is it? I bet they are all Z57 failures. Everything else Surefire makes seems bulletproof.

This last weekend, I bought a Dyson vacumm cleaner, and it got me thinking. The Surefire Z52-style switching mechanism is like James Dyson's dual-cyclone technology, designed to give consistent, reliable performance.

By switching to the Z57-click-switch, it would be like James Dyson saying;

Fictitious James Dyson said:
"I see that more bagged cleaners are sold than bagless cleaners in the world. Let's make a bag-equipped Dyson"

...hardly progress, is it???

Federal LG

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Surefire E1e - broken lens & tailcap !!!! + Problem Almost Resolved

They should give you a E1B Backup as gift, Mike...

Actually, they should give one to me too, cause I´m "suffering" with this thread too... :sssh:

Anyway, good to see that things are walking to a happy end.

MikeSalt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Surefire E1e - broken lens & tailcap !!!! + Problem Almost Resolved

Ok, here is my last email from Surefire...

Dear Mr. Salt,
Your letter came to my attention. First, I want to start with an apology for the delay on your shipment. Although it is not a valid excuse, it seems we had an internal glitch in processing your order. The issue has been addressed and I apologize for the delay. Second, I like to thank you for your information on the tailcap issue. I have forwarded your letter to appropriate departments. Our quality control department advised me that the problem has been corrected at the root cause. Once again, thank you for bringing the issue to our attention.

Please see below for your DHL shipment information. We included 12 pack batteries at no charge along with your replacement parts.
Thank you for your patience.

DHL #9274500874
Item #
Qty
Description
14370-1
BEZEL ASSEMBLY, GRAY NL
Z57
REAR CAP ASSY, GRAY NL, CLICK ON/OFF, E1/E2 FLASHLIGHTS
SF12-BB
12 SF123A BATTERIES, BOXED

Best Regards,
Ji Kinnear

Inside Sales Manager
Domestic & International
tel: 714-545-9444 ext. 2364
fax: 714-545-95337
http://www.surefire.com

So, the good news is that the new parts are on the way. The bad news is that it looks like they are sending out SATIN GRAY! I didn't even know they made those anymore, and thought they would send HA III olive drab by default. I sure hope that is a typographical error, and that I receive the correct finish. I have already emailed them, asking to investigate.

In other good news, it looks like they got my letter, and that is being sent to the appriopriate department, rather than just saying "Sorry, the Z52 is no longer available". That is progress at least.

Be lucky folks,

Mike