Surefire LX2 Pics, Beamshots & Info

yowzer

Enlightened
I would guess they made the change because more efficient LEDs are available. Why wouldn't they make the change? :) The light is 3 years old, so it's no surprise leds have improved in that time.

There haven't been any new developments in the XR-E front in a few years, and putting in an XP-E or other newer LED would require a major redesign of the optic or going to a different beam profile (And the beam that the LX2 sports now is one of the 2 big reasons why I love the light, the other being the UI). It's not something I'd expect to have seen any incremental updates for in the last few years. Can't wait for the Ultra version, though. I'm curious if it'll have a tiny M3LT style fresnel lens or something more like the current TIR optic.

FPSRelic

Enlightened
One thing that occurs to me is that the new standard LX2 has a listed high lumen output similar to the ones Sean is seeing with the newer old model. How high has anyone seen an XR-E go as far as lumen output? Maybe Surefire just decided to overdrive the emitter a little, hence the reduction in runtime. Large companies have also been known to buy in bulk to save cost, and take ages to use up supply. Maybe Surefire bought up big 5 years ago, and just used up supply. Maybe the "new" emitters Surefire are using are ones that are three years old. Who knows.

Unfortunately there really needs to be more in the way of sampling done to verify that Sean's LX2 isn't just a freak of nature. And since the new LX2 Ultra is due for release this year, I doubt we will find many interested in purchasing a new current model just to find out.

natas18

Newly Enlightened
I have been debating for over a year now whether to get this light or not; with the new LX2 ultra coming out soon my decision is now made even harder :sigh:

gerryccw

Newly Enlightened
I purchased my LX2 at a steal of a price of only $60.00 brand new
Wow, It's a very good price, where did you get it!???
even I'm waiting for new LX2 500lm version, but, my LX2 200lm version is make me satisfy already.
anyway, really good price, I will get another one, if I got this price offer.

RobertMM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Surefire LX2 Review, Pics, Beamshots & Info

LX2, E2L and E1L are no longer on the site. Grrrrrrrr!

I love my LX2. Although my L1 with XPG2 us the one always in my pocket, the stock LX2 with very nice runtime on high with 16650 is my bag carry light. 240 lumens then is still 240 lumens now and provides all the throw I ever need.

RobertMM

Flashlight Enthusiast

Bump.
Anyone still using their LX2?

Thinking of dropping in a XPG3 on mine. Any idea what the output would be on the stock driver?

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast

LX2 is still king of portability and functionality. Love mine. Gotta get my hands on one or three of these 16650's that you kids are talking about nowadays. Plus I love that it has the same UI as my 24/7 L1 EDC. No clickie means with the tailcap adjusted properly, I can drop it in a bag or pocket without worrying that it will get stuck on, but instantly ready for use.

slumber

Flashlight Enthusiast

I miss owning one. I've bought and sold 5 now I think. I describe it as boringly reliable. Great light!

pulstar

Enlightened

XP-G2 will probably be better. As far as i read, G3 should have a wider angle, thus more broad beam. XPG2 in my LX2 is perfect! Much better than XML! You are probably looking at around 300 OTF lumens with a bit broader beam but still the punch, original XRE led had. I love my lx2 and after the mod i almost completely lost interest in other flashlights:)

Bump.
Anyone still using their LX2?

Thinking of dropping in a XPG3 on mine. Any idea what the output would be on the stock driver?

jayhackett03

Enlightened

LX2 is still king of portability and functionality. Love mine. Gotta get my hands on one or three of these 16650's that you kids are talking about nowadays. Plus I love that it has the same UI as my 24/7 L1 EDC. No clickie means with the tailcap adjusted properly, I can drop it in a bag or pocket without worrying that it will get stuck on, but instantly ready for use.

My LX2 is my nightstand light, and my favorite light. I have 1000 Lumen Fenix lights, but they're just not as fun as the LX2. I still have my 2007 L1 Cree, but that's only 60 lumens so the LX2 has taken it's place as my go-to light. The 200 lumens of the LX2 seems to be just enough for anything I need around the house/yard. I love the throwy TIR lens, low sidespill, 2x123a form factor, instantaneous on, and simple two stage user interface. If it was 18650 and 20/500 lumens it would be absolutely perfect.