SureFire M6 rechargeable options – SHOOTOUT (Part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriot

Flashaholic
Re: SureFire M6 rechargeable options – SHOOTOUT

Now that I've gotten past the shock & awe of DM51's thread, I was able to slow down and start absorbing some of the information. I was satisfied to see how well the HO-M6R and 1185 performed during these tests because I've always gravitated to these two set-ups. 2 of my M6's are permanently set-up in this configuration. It's been my wish for some time now that FM would make another run of HA extensions to be used in conjunction with 2 X AW C cells. This is because I'm a big WA1111 fan and would prefer running it on 2 x C's vs 2 x 18650s. Given that we may never see the FM extensions again, I'm eagerly awaiting mdocod's battery holder so that I can easily run 1111's in one of my M6's.

It's my opinion that the LF EO-M6R is the star of this review. Although great on 6 x RCR123's, it really stands out on 3 x 17670's. I recently sacrificed my permanent 1185 M6, and dropped its FM holder in my EO-M6R light, until I can get another from FM. It's been one of my most used configurations to date and I'm glad to see that DM51 had a similar appreciation for it.

Thanks a bunch David for this awesome thread! :thanks:

P.S. Hopefully this will be a sticky or at least a reference thread?

DM51

Flashaholic

Thank you all for your kind comments. It was an interesting project and I had been meaning to do it for quite a while.
________

Mark, thanks very much for the gif! I have uploaded it and copied it into post #2, at the top of the post.
________

Where's the best place to get the WA 1111 bulb??
CPFer Litho123 has a sales thread in the MarketPlace selling popular bi-pin bulb sizes.

________

That first pic just made my day. A wild guess, a Peli 1500 case...?
Close! It's a 1520.

________

what would your guesstimate on runtime be with the 3x17670 HO-M6R?
In theory, ~43 minutes; but to be safe, no more than 30-35 mins. Li-Ions should never be drained to empty (if you do happen to drain them empty by accident, recharge them as soon as possible afterwards.)

________

BSBG: very interesting about our different experiences with variations in bulb sizes. I think it may have been Petrev who ground an oversized bulb down with a dremel to make it fit. Not sure about that.
________

Paul: Like everyone else, I had just accepted the line that the HO-M6R was "somewhere between the MN20 and MN21 in output." That is no longer an adequate description. You are right that it was the star surprise of the review - it amazed me that it showed up so strongly against such stiff competition. It will be also be very reliable compared to the others, as bulb life will be longer.

FrogmanM

Flashlight Enthusiast

Most Excellent! Jeeze I'd better start looking for a used M6 for HO-M6R duty! Sticky material imo

Mayo:kewlpics::goodjob:

Daniel_sk

Flashlight Enthusiast

The HO-M6R definitely is a suprise. No bi-pin adapter needed, long bulb life and not that expensive. The bulb might be also more reliable and shock resistant than the WA1111/WA1185 + bi-pin setup.
I recently tried the FM bi-pin adapter, but the two springs seem to be too long - there is too much tension and the shock-absorbing neoprene inside the M6 head is fully compressed...

Thank you David for this excellent review.

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for this DM51 :) This is all the information I've always wanted to know about incan M6 mods. Hopefully this will get some people interested in the latest run of Fivemega 3 x 17670 holders.

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast

Fantastic!

Nicely done DM51. That couldn't have been easy but it was super well done.

sledhead

Flashlight Enthusiast

Just fantastic DM51!! Thanks for taking the time. I've been running the MN61 with no problems, but after seeing this I think I'll try the HO-M6R next. Seems like it may throw farther than the MN61?

BOOKMARKED!

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast

DM51, be sure to show Mrs. 51 all of these accolades if she happens to complain about your use of free time. You, sir, have furthered our knowledge in a most significant and practical way. I can't thank you enough...WOW!

May I assume these larger bi-pin lamps don't suffer the tendency to fall out of their bases like the small (TL-3, Scorpion, etc.) types sometimes do when dropped?

Daniel_sk

Flashlight Enthusiast

The fivemega bi-pin adapters from the last run have a small screw that holds the bulb in place. The bulb wouldn't fall out of the holder even without that screw, it's a tight fit.

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast

I can't get over that picture of the case with all those M6 parts in it. You could probably trade the whole thing in for a small car :nana:

Anyway, I had an M6 and sold it and this thread makes me regret the decision.

Patriot

Flashaholic

Oops, never mind...:huh: I'm getting my bulbs mixed up again..

Last edited:

BlueBeam22

*Super Flashaholic*

DM51,

I absolutely love your shootout!! You did an amazing job, I really enjoyed looking at all of the beamshots, and good job with the ratings. This thread makes me wish I had an M6!
The Philips 5761 was my favorite.

You have my vote for this thread to be a sticky.:thumbsup:

Last edited:

Patriot

Flashaholic

Bluebeam, what did you like best about the 5761? Did you see the MN21 on 2 x C's just to the left of that picture? :naughty:

BlueBeam22

*Super Flashaholic*

Bluebeam, what did you like best about the 5761? Did you see the MN21 on 2 x C's just to the left of that picture? :naughty:

I like the 5761 for its very smooth and even illumination pattern, but now I see that the MN21 does smoke it! I also really like the beam pattern and intensity WA 1111.:)

donn_

Flashaholic

Wow! Incredible study. :bow::bow:

Does this qualify as an

ObsessionColognebyCalvinKleinforMen.jpg

K-T

*Moderator*

Very well done. This is an excellent and valuable review. Thanks!

LED61

Flashlight Enthusiast

DM, I am speechless!!! I thought you were nuts with the A2's but never imagined it was a greater fever with the M6's!!!!

VERY NICE WORK!!

Status
Not open for further replies.