Surefire Stiletto TSA Experience

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
SYZYGY has my respect just by seeing one of his tools. Those who fix and maintain things are invaluable.

The bent handle ratcheting screwdriver is good for some applications but if the idea of keeping the shaft of the driver perpendicular to the face of the fastener to minimize stripping is followed, the bent handle makes it more of a challenge. I believe that is one reason Snap-on discontinued that model. The symmetrical T-handle helps old, worn hands do the job, and makes it easier to keep the shaft aligned..

199ED109-72D9-4932-AACD-37C02C4B57AF.jpeg

Last edited:

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
SYZYGY has my respect just by seeing one of his tools. Those who fix and maintain things are invaluable.

The bent handle ratcheting screwdriver is good for some applications but if the idea of keeping the shaft of the driver perpendicular to the face of the fastener to minimize stripping is followed, the bent handle makes it more of a challenge. I believe that is one reason Snap-on discontinued that model. The symmetrical T-handle helps old, worn hands do the job, and makes it easier to keep the shaft aligned..
I believe the bent handle drivers were meant for getting into tight areas, such as hose clamps located up against vehicle firewalls, where there's no knuckle clearance

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast

View attachment 32819
I've been needing to get a T-handle ratcheting driver for years 👌

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Us super hard users have to fly private these days or do away with our EDC, which isn't an option.
Only the ones who don't use checked baggage. If I was limited to carry-on, I couldn't go anywhere.

Any loose 'tools' travel in the same bag as my piece / ammo, which is of course checked. No, I've not had a single checked bag incident in several decades now (although something tells me I shouldn't have said that).

EDIT: Since this thread is regarding a Stiletto, I guess I should add that if I carried any flashlight that didn't look like a flashlight, it would be in the aforementioned checked bag too, but all mine clearly look like flashlights. Never any issues w/ TSA, although those in front of me in line always seem to come up with some to make up for that:-(

Last edited:

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
The nice thing about the T-handle is it gives the 48" pipe wrench more to bite
I used that bent handle Snap-on to remove a spark plug once. Used quarter inch hex to 3/8ths¨ square adaptor (I think). Messed up the ratcheting mechanism. A Snap-on truck fellow fixed it for me so many years ago.

Yeah, personally I would not chance a SureFire Stilletto on carry-on.

SYZYGY

Enlightened
KITROBASKIN, i don't have that specific snapon bit driver (your stubby T-handle), but i've used it. might be my favorite of theirs.

i have one of these though:

since you're into nice tools, pb swiss is also worth a look. i have this one:

pretty expensive. i think it was like 90 bucks.

i think the pb swiss bit storage is superior, but the ratcheting mechanism on snap on is better (lower backdrag). the knurled shaft on snap on bit drivers is also really useful, especially on normal/longer length shafts. build quality on both is very good, but the snappy somehow seems more bulletproof. i'd feel better about dropping the snappy off of a ladder onto pavement.

pb swiss makes the best bits though, imo. i like them more than snappy.

1664563102371.png

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
A venerable Snap-on standard ratcheting screwdriver like you have, came into my hands when a longtime friend gave me tools from a former boyfriend retired IBM service tech. Their relationship got dismembered and she insisted he hated his job and wanted nothing to do with the tools. Years later I was helping her with home repair and was using that screwdriver (I swear the teeth on that old ratchet were larger than the newer ones; sounded stronger) when I mentioned what an excellent tool it was. Her anger over her ex-friend had waned and accepted that screwdriver back to her home. After that I found the bent handle on sale.

I can't find anyone willing to sell individual PB Swiss bits, otherwise I would surely try them.

You are right about that Snap-on bit. I only bought two when ordering the t-handle (expensive little buggers but definitely good quality)

C7739016-881C-4949-8D16-7AC4EE090904.jpeg

SYZYGY

Enlightened
lol, punch card removal tool. nice.

i think pb swiss makes 3 variants of bits.
  • C6: normal bits
  • E6: "power bits" that lock into a quick release (typically electric) driver
  • E6L: like E6 but longer shaft (95mm OAL vs 50mm)
i've bought from these places

never bought from here, but i've heard good things. ships from europe:

the US places have regular/holiday sales. last i looked, werk10 was overall a bit cheaper when sales aren't happening.