surefire Z48 vs Z58 switch

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've used both the Z58 and Z48. IMO I prefer the Z48 over the Z58 as better overall design and operation. The Z58 although much lighter, rather feels plasticky...

AzN1337c0d3r

Banned
The newer 4 tab Z58 still has reliability issues. I had to take apart mine last night to get it to click again...

Also this thread shouldn't be in the Incandescent forums?

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank's for the replies!

As for where the thread should be...it was started in April of 2007...?

Since it seems that the reliability issues have not been fixed, I will probably go with the Z48.

:)

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
I LOVE the rubber shroud!

Tail standing is possible with it.

Sticking it into your pocket without locking out the tailcap is possible too.

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's pretty cool! That's what I've got/am building:

I have a Surefire HA-III C2, I have a Malkoff sitting in it, and, once I get the clicky, I think I will have pretty much the perfect light! Oh, I did swap for a Leef C-to-C body, so that I can use protected 18650 cells with no issues.

I think this is going to be a really bright, really reliable, really pocketable light.

:D

"I wish I could go back in time a year or so and give myself advice. I would of told myself to get the Surefire HAIII C3, a Z48 clicky, and a Malkoff and not waste so much money trying to go the cheap route."

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was at the same junction, with Surefire 9P with Malkoff M60 and trying to decide between Z49 and Z59.

Tried hard to like the stock Z41 tailcap, but we just don't "click" together, it's awesome reliability aside. Seems like to turn it on you need to hold it on with some pressure, which requires the use of the hand and inability to do anything else using that hand. And to twist it you need two hands. (Can be done with one hand but awkward)

Plus the the fact that I EDC tailcap down, bezel up and sometimes the tailcap switch bumps against something and cuts on. I had that happen with other lites. I carry sharp objects in a different pocket but it still happens 2-3 times per year. So some kind of recessed tailcap switch is a must. I would prefer a metal guard a la Fenix. I am kind of surprised Surefire doesn't make one.

Now this discussion removes all doubt that the switch I want is Z49... (Black clicky with rubber shroud (for Standard Bodies))

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
SureFire updated it's compact clickies (current versions of the E-Series and standard series clickies have white guts rather than black).
This appears to have dramatically reduced the complaints on CPF regarding failed clickies.

Al

Is there an updated version of Z49?
If so, how do I tell that I am geting an upgraded version?

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
Earlier on the SF clickies had a higher tendency to fail than they do now after the upgrades.

I REALLY don't think you will run into an old one and if you do 1 phone call will get a new one sent to you ASAP. You worry too much pal.

Last edited:

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was going to order from lapolicegear but they don't have good reviews on resellerratings site, plus on the opposite coast I assume.

Looked on Ebay, it is a disappointment.

Size15's

Flashaholic
Is there an updated version of Z49?
If so, how do I tell that I am geting an upgraded version?
Not that I'm aware of (The Z48/Z49 haven't).

The standard "Compact" Clickies Z58/Z59 have been updated I believe. One can only tell by looking at the internals.