Survival knife

ScubaSnyder

Enlightened
Here is a nice choice, there is no sawing with this, this thing takes down anything...but a larger tree will take time and skill.

ka1249.jpg

http://www.knifecenter.com/kc_new/store_detail.html?s=KA1249

I use the Tom Brown Tracker knife its s bit smaller but still functions in what it needs to do.

tracker.jpg

Last edited:

Dirty Bob

Newly Enlightened
The KA-BAR kukri is cool! I haven't had the chance to handle one, but I suspect it's quite useful. Kukris can do more than just chop. I once saw a guy on a construction site using a kukri as a drawknife, to peel bark from some huge poles that were going into a mess hall.

If I need something bigger than a Mora, I'll reach for a Tramontina machete or a Plumb or Fiskars ax, or perhaps my homemade collapsible bucksaw. The bucksaw's not the most convenient of the tools, but it'll out-work an ax or machete, at least in my hands.

Regards,
Dirty Bob

StuToffee

Newly Enlightened
For a small fixed blade, I carry a Frost Mora.
For something a little larger, a Kabar or Becker BK7
For huge, a BK9 or my Battle Rat.

Blue72

Flashlight Enthusiast
this one is only 6.8" long

bark river

WoodGreenBlkPistac.jpg

nice thick spine for batoning

BarkRiver-Hanter-04.jpg

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Extrema Ratio Kukri KL.

Its a BEAST!...... yet not too big to be thrown into a backpack.

Holds a nice sharp edge too!

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bark River Knives

awesome knives for survival. By the way I believe 4-6 inches is all you need. Especially with a bark river. They can't chop like a big knife but they can get the same job done by batoning.

Big knives suck, try trail running, mountain biking,rock climbing, skiing,etc... with a big knife

Hopefully the OP has figured out that there's no right answer, just a best-fit based on what you're willing to carry and how skilled you are at using it. If you ask seriously experienced wilderness experts, you'll see similar differences in opinion ... although more often than not you'll see many favoring the 4"-6" do-everything knife. And that's where my choice lies too; like the above poster, I favor something like a Bark River. The Woodland posted by dd6 is a fine choice, I favor the Fox River, but these are variations on a theme.

A moderate-sized Bark River is easy to carry and very well manufactured. For something like shelter-building, I can baton it through small limbs faster than a slightly-bigger knife can chop through. Plus it's more nimble and usable for food prep and the like. It doesn't have to be Bark River, any 4"-6" knife made from good steel, with a performance-optimized edge geometry and very secure ergonomic handle will do.

In real life, my choice in the woods is the Bark River (or similar) coupled with a big knife that's appropriate to the terrain ... larger machete, hatchet, etc. But I tend to doubt that you'll carry that really big knife on frequent hikes from your backyard, so ... back to the 4"-6" do-all knife, and develop the skills to use it.

The knives that I definitely avoid are military-style knives, which may be big but often have crappy edge geometry for woodwork and food prep.

No need for serrations.

CplTriangle

Newly Enlightened
tl-7211.jpg

This is a knife I have used outdoors a bit, I don't think it could do any chopping work but it has a nice strong, thick blade and a very useful sheath. It's small enough that it doesn't sacrifice dexterity, and it fits very nicely in the hand no matter what grip you use.

Styerman

Newly Enlightened
I would say a 3.5-4.00 fixed blade ( BRKT ) comes to mind , and a Victorinox farmer in the pocket would give you a leg up over most . I would also throw in a fire steel , with a piece of busted off hacksaw blade as a striker . The hack blade is also a possible auxillary knife . If I were in the bush I would also throw in a Granfors Burks hatchet , or axe of some flavor .

Chris

stitch_paradox

Enlightened
If you can bring 2 knives then do that, carry a big knife for large task (clearing path, chopping woods) and a small knife or a folder for finer task.

+1 on the becker brute
A knife with a machete attitude. too bad they are hard to find nowadays.

+1 fallkniven knives.
small, tough knives.

shakeylegs

Enlightened
The right blade, and the right survival gear, depend upon your situation - the environment, the emergency, and the other gear you have on hand. Assemble your survival gear based upon your best estimate of the worst situation you may face. In a real emergency, you need to stay warm, dry, hydrated, and fed. If injured and far from help, you need medical supplies. For all of the above needs a solid, lightweight folder will usually do. Personally, I'd carry a machete only if I had to hack my way through lots of jungle or "procure" a campsite in Yosemite.

Out of curiosity, has anyone here ever had to rely on a knife for their survival?

I'm guessing true "survival" situations are a rarity for most of us. I've spent an enormous amount of time self propelled for days on end in the wilderness and despite many emergency situations, I've never been in a "survival situation" that required a special blade. More often I've found matches and a reliable light source most valuable.

Dutch

Enlightened
One fixed, one folder, and a multi-tool...

large.jpg

Strider MTL, Strider AR, and a SOG-S60 Powerlock... Great threesome!:D

Dutch

Dantor

Enlightened
Very good advice from Joe Talmadge, the man is very well respected here and other places.

Combo edges and full serrated edges are ok, good for cutting rope (sea work, cord),
and should cut for a long time but they tend to shread other things and they are hard for most to sharpen
(in the field and even at home), a PE (plain edge) blade is much easier to keep sharp especially if your not a pro.

Check out the blades mentioned here and ask more questions and good luck in your search.

scott

Enlightened
Any Victorinox or Wenger Swiss Army Knife with a saw. I edc Farmer. Also look at the Vic Rucksack or One Hand Trekker. For a fixed blade, any of the Frost moras will work if you know what you're doing. I like the 510 and the Mora 2000. With the difference in weight between a lightweight mora and a big chopper, you could carry a light tarp or extra food.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you want a survival knife, Harbor Freight sells a decent 12" stainless steel one for about $10. It's the type with a compartment in the handle, a saw back on the blade, and loaded with some cheap survival items and a compass. Hard to beat the price.

Burgess

Flashaholic
Lots of good info here.

Thank you to everyone for their suggestions.

:twothumbs

_

Dantor

Enlightened
I personally would not like to depend on a cheap survival knife, something possibly my life or safety depended on.

You don't have to spend hundreds on a good knife, but a no name, no history, cheap piece of metal isn't the way to go either.

Their are so many good blades out there, just do a little research...