Suspected counterfeit AW batteries ?

goldpan

Newly Enlightened
HI,
Can somebody help me identify this 18350 battery as being fake. I strongly suspect it because I can't see any microcode and the recycle logo is solid black and not outlined.

Many Thanks
Mike

SDC10216 by Mike, on Flickr

SDC10217 by Mike, on Flickr

Last edited:

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Suspected counterfit AW batteries ?

HI,
Can somebody help me identify this 18350 battery as being fake. I strongly suspect it because I can't see any microcode and the recycle logo is solid black and not outlined.

Many Thanks
Mike

Hello,

You need to host your photos on something like PhotoBucket and then link them here.

Starting around 1/1/14, AW is placing an oval shaped holographic sticker on their cells, as an anti-counterfeit measure.

Lots of AW cells are fakes, sorry to say.

Buy from a known and reputable dealer, who's sold AW cells for a while.

Chris

magellan

Honorary Aussie

There's some good websites with detailed photos and descriptions showing how to tell fake cells. Don't recall the names off the top of my head but a Google search should turn them up. I learned some good stuff. Check 'em out.

Last edited:

goldpan

Newly Enlightened

Sorry, second attempt had problems getting photos to insert.

Last edited:

goldpan

Newly Enlightened

I've had a look at the websites they look like counterfeits, just need conformation before contacting UK Trading Standards. I have no idea how to contact AW Andrew Wan there's no official website.

Last edited:

goldpan

Newly Enlightened

Thanks for the link, Chris. Just had a reply from Mr Wan, they are fake.

Cheers

Mike

Capolini

Banned

Thanks for the link, Chris. Just had a reply from Mr Wan, they are fake.

Cheers

Mike

That does not surprise because when I look at my AW IMR 18350, I had to struggle w/ a magnifying glass to see the "awawawaw" ect. on the silver sticker[fake proof] Your battery is much more pronounced in that respect where you can easily see them w/ the naked eye.Plus I did not see that Black semi circle on the negative end of the battery. Could be the way you posted the pics, but I do not think that is the case.

Just noticed 2 more things! The "R" IN RoHS is rounded and does NOT look like the "R" that I just typed and is on my battery. also, the recycle arrows on mine are NOT BOLD[Completely filled in] Black. The "Inside" of the arrow is hollow and takes on the RED color of the battery!

I got mine @ lighthound which is a reputable dealer in Texas,,,,,,,,,,it could still happen but less likely with dealers who have a good reputation and good sources!

Last edited:

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast

OK, I'm about to order some AW IMR 16340s, probably from LightHound, like my last pair, but what am I supposed to be looking for?

You're saying that those holographic stickers are faked and the 'recycle' symbol should be skeletal in look and not filled in, or solid black?

Help a brother out.

Crap, what is this freakin' world coming to?

Chris

Capolini

Banned

Chris,

I will post pics. of mine in ~ 1 hour after i eat dinner. you will see the differences which I pointed out in post # 8

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast

Chris,

I will post pics. of mine in ~ 1 hour after i eat dinner. you will see the differences which I pointed out in post # 8

Thanks Cap, but take your time and enjoy dinner. I'm heading down to South Beach to meet my GF, so I won't be ordering anything this weekend.

Chris

Capolini

Banned

OP & Chris,

Compare the differences between these:

1. The "R" in RoHS

2. The recycle symbol

3.The Black semi circle on the negative end. This "May" be new for my "800mAh" version. I checked on L'hounds website and the IMR 16340 Does NOT have the Black semi circle??

4. The "NO FAKE " sticker if you can see it w/ my picture! OP's photos show very clearly the repetitive "AWAWAWAWAW",,Can barely see it w/ a magnifying glass with mine!

5.Notice on his[this may be nothing?] when the printing of C E RoHS starts his starts further in from the "positive end than mine.

I apologize for the pics. they are not that clear but you can still differentiate between the two batteries with ease!:)

AW%20IMR%2018350%20002_zpsfszgznsq.jpg

AW%20IMR%2018350%20003_zpsnhguhirw.jpg

goldpan

Newly Enlightened

This is what Mr Wan sent me

Hi Mike,

They are fakes in you pictures.

Please see the attached picture to compare.

Regards,
AW

18246305911_c2e173924f_o.jpg
[/URL]2222 by Mike, on Flickr[/IMG]

Capolini

Banned

That is helpful. Besides the anti fake label look at ALL the differences I pointed out between yours and mine.I think most are valid differences.

mine passed the Anti Fake label test! The UV test is kind of cool! I have several Battery junction keychain lights,a few UV ones!

Last edited:

goldpan

Newly Enlightened

That is helpful. Besides the anti fake label look at ALL the differences I pointed out between yours and mine.I think most are valid differences.

mine passed the Anti Fake label test! The UV test is kind of cool! I have several Battery junction keychain lights,a few UV ones!

Yes it's quite obvious now, thanks for your help. You won't believe this, but my UV light source was a spark gap made out of an old TV flyback and a hv capacitor. I was desperate.

Last edited:

magellan

Honorary Aussie

Yes it's quite obvious now, thanks for your help. You won't believe this, but my UV light source was a spark gap made out of an old TV flyback and a hv capacitor. I was desperate.

Awesome!

bltkmt

Enlightened

Does AW sell his batteries directly on this site anymore? If so, where can I find a sales thread?

CuriousOne

Enlightened

True 1000mAh 16340's are coming from Chinese factories shortly (These are same guys who bought you 1200mAh 18350s).