Sylvania/Osram Mini 4AA Lantern Upgrade

jtice

Flashaholic
Just finished modding one of my Osram 4AA lanterns with a Seoul P4 43SVNH LED.
I tried the 20mm optic others had used, but it created a very ugly pattern with alot of rings and artifacts.
So I just left the stock diffuser on it.
Its MUCH brighter than stock for sure, one heck of an improvement.
BUT.... I lost low mode !!!!!! What gives? :fail:
I press the button, it turns on, press it again, stays the same, press it a third time, it turns off.

Here are some before and after shots.
Image_3.sized.jpg

Image_1.sized.jpg

Image_2.sized.jpg

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
on the bottom of the circuit board there is some traces that you can solder resistors across that control low and high outputs. You may have something lying across one of them affecting the low output.

Illum

Flashaholic
Last edited:

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I just throught I would tell folks if they have a Tuesday Morning store, they have these lanterns for $7.99, good chance they have them at every store in the chain.

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just throught I would tell folks if they have a Tuesday Morning store, they have these lanterns for $7.99, good chance they have them at every store in the chain.

Cool thing to pass along!

These are great stocking stuffers in my opinion, and the holidays are close enough to be thinking about that.

I'll have to check out our local Tuesday Morning.

Thanks, Lynx_Arc. :)

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
The nearest Menards is in Wyoming. So they are out of the question...

Don't discount Menards if you don't live near them. The nearest one to me was in Illinois or Indiana. When they had that super cheap $5 each sale, I bought four or five of them, and they shipped them to me for an extremely low price. They probably thought I was nuts, calling five or six different locations asking about an LED lantern, but...:D

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Cool thing to pass along!

These are great stocking stuffers in my opinion, and the holidays are close enough to be thinking about that.

I'll have to check out our local Tuesday Morning.

Thanks, Lynx_Arc. :)

be sure to look around everywhere, as our store here has stuff in slight chaos most of the electronic type stuff is in one area but they have stuff strewn around everywhere I saw lanterns in 3 or 4 different spots. They had them in electronics, auto type stuff, and hanging on a free display near the end of a counter. If I hadn't gotten a bunch from Menards years back through the mail I would probably consider grabbing 3 of them as gifts. Just remember to keep the batteries out of them if you don't plan on using them within a few months as there is a slight vampiric draw due to the digital circuit that will drain batteries dry over a year or two.

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks again, Lynx_Arc. I'll probably carry one of mine in with me and ask the folks there if they have any like it. That might help me find them quicker (depending on who I ask, since you never know who knows what in those kinds of stores).

Schuey2002

Enlightened
Don't discount Menards if you don't live near them. The nearest one to me was in Illinois or Indiana. When they had that super cheap $5 each sale, I bought four or five of them, and they shipped them to me for an extremely low price. They probably thought I was nuts, calling five or six different locations asking about an LED lantern, but...:D
I didn't see anything on their website about this lantern, so there really was no point in calling them... :(

Oh, well. I went with the Black Diamond Orbit instead... :naughty:

dealgrabber2002

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry to bring this old thread back to life, but I am looking to purchase a Sylvania 4AA lantern with a SSC P4 + Khatod Mod (just like the one stereodude modded on page 2 of this thread). I posted in WTB section on marketplace but with no luck. So I am giving cpf proper a try. Please pm me if you have one to sell. Used or new. Thanks.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Sorry to bring this back to life... again.. does anyone know if this little lantern can handle Li-ion (18650/26650)?
I wouldn't bother with this lantern as it has a horrible problem with vampiric drain it will kill batteries in it within about 4 months. I just checked 2 of my lanterns and both the black base (rubberish) are sticky and one the plastic is all cracked bad. You can mod the circuit to change the output so most likely you could operate it off 1 lithium ion battery but if it isn't protected about 6 months later your battery could be ruined.

dealgrabber2002

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can it handle li-ion stock? I don't know how to mod things.

The plastic on mine also got sticky, I cleaned it with WD-40. Thankfully everything else is fine; nothing cracked.

Last edited:

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
If you are talking about a single lithium ion cell it shouldn't hurt it but could be underpowered as it expects around 5-6v from 4AA batteries not 3.7-4.35v that a lithium ion is rated at. I don't see an easy way to use a single lithium ion in it without modding it unless you went with a 14500 and 3 dummy cells or something.