Tail Cap Idea. Thoughts?

scott

Enlightened
If your flashlight use dictates changing batteries daily, it's a nuisance to unthread and rethread the tailcap each time. Why don't we have tailcaps that work like a prescription bottle cap? Push in > turn 1/4 turn > pop off tailcap. I'm sure there are waterproofing or other engineering problems to deal with, but surely they could be overcome. Easy-off tailcaps for frequent users would sure be convenient.

carbine15

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interrupted screw is the term. It revolutionized cannon technology for breach loading and was later adopted for rifles in the first lever actions. I suppose the only downside would be the ease at which the "breech" would open accidentally. I have a better Idea. How about a desktop charger (either plug in or set in) for you lights. I like the way my Sonicare toothbrush charges and maintains its waterproofness.

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
There is a thread you could use that's a short turn to come apart but is otherwise normal. Now what it's called I can't remember.

Norm

Retired Administrator
Interrupted screw is the term. It revolutionized cannon technology for breach loading and was later adopted for rifles in the first lever actions. I suppose the only downside would be the ease at which the "breech" would open accidentally. I have a better Idea. How about a desktop charger (either plug in or set in) for you lights. I like the way my Sonicare toothbrush charges and maintains its waterproofness.
Blaster™ GL-3

Wireless-Charger-Ready!

With the emergence of the PowerDesk™ wireless charging platform, your Blaster™ GL-3 comes ready to take advantage of this technology.

sparkysko

Enlightened
Well heck.

Thanks for sharing the frogleaper/powerdesk thing.

I had briefly attempted a similar inductive charging method, but a turnkey solution is a much better option.

Just buy a frogleaper nimh, throw it in your aluminum light and toss it on the charging pad. Good to go. :thumbsup:

Morelite

Flashlight Enthusiast
If your flashlight use dictates changing batteries daily, it's a nuisance to unthread and rethread the tailcap each time. Why don't we have tailcaps that work like a prescription bottle cap? Push in > turn 1/4 turn > pop off tailcap. I'm sure there are waterproofing or other engineering problems to deal with, but surely they could be overcome. Easy-off tailcaps for frequent users would sure be convenient.

Those "push n turn" caps are ok on plastic where they are made by injection molding but that sure wouldn't be fun to machine on a metal flashlight.

Last edited: