Target is selling AIT Nightstar!! (Batteryless flashlight)

*Bryan*

Enlightened
If you carry a knife, just make a small cut in the packaging and try to turn the light on.....Just a thought......

I agree the idea is good but with all the lights CPF'ers have to choose from, the shake a light is bound to fall short of expectations.

ckcanon

Newly Enlightened
Based on the reviews at Flashlightreviews.com, this light's output is approximately equal to an unmodded Dorcy AAA.

Put a Nichia ($1) LED in the Dorcy and it blows this light away. Now compare the size (and price) of the two - with 4 AAA rechargeables you'd have enough run time to carry you through the night.

Love those tiny Dorcy AAA's.

pfmedic

Newly Enlightened
I just bought the target nightstar (full size) I have to admit it was BRIGHTER than I imagined it could be. I cant imagine a better shaker. I cant say as I know if I have a starcore or standard LED in my light. Anyone know the answer?

onthebeam

Enlightened
Keep in mind that Lithium batteries last 10 years, most cars do not. So, if you keep a flashlight in the car with a lithium in it, you'll have a nice useable light for a longtime to come--likely as dependable as the Shakelight, but really useable, too. . .

FatalDeception

Newly Enlightened
onthebeam said:
Keep in mind that Lithium batteries last 10 years, most cars do not. So, if you keep a flashlight in the car with a lithium in it, you'll have a nice useable light for a longtime to come--likely as dependable as the Shakelight, but really useable, too. . .

Lithiums may LAST 10 years, but that doesn't mean they won't LEAK and kill your torch in those 10 years.

onthebeam

Enlightened
I've only be using Lithiums for about six years or so. Have had no leak issues like Alkalines. Has anyone else experienced leaking from Lithiums????

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
tc17 said:
if I ever got one of these type of flashlights, I would probably get the crank kind instead. To me it seems like you would get a lot more leverage to create electricty with that, than you would something you have to shake.

But I could easily be wrong.
i got a crank light off e-bay, that charges some very small ni-mhy batteries in it, and runs 5 x 5mm white leds, and it works GREAT, totally blows away the jerk light :)
and it will output 350ma at about 5-6V for charging something besides, but that requires a Lot of fast cranking

i was thinking i might use it to charge my pda, but then the thought of cranking it for more than 30 minutes at a time (175ma of actual charge) was not practical.
it also got warm from friction and stuff after 15 minutes of cranking.

it will run for Hours after charging/cranking it, a few minutes of cranking, bright at first, then barly usable for a long time.

the crank to light ratio for good output of 5 leds was more like 1-5, instead of 1-2.

MVB

Newly Enlightened
FatalDeception said:
Lithiums may LAST 10 years, but that doesn't mean they won't LEAK and kill your torch in those 10 years.
It's probably mostly an issue of where the light is stored (the interior of a car can reach 150 degrees (F) in summer sunlight). Lithiums don't mind the cold, though, so freezing isn't likely to be an issue. But extreme temperature cycles over a long period of time are likely to make any battery formulation leak... So if you're going to keep lithiums in an auto in summer temperatures, it probably shouldn't be kept in the glove box. (In a tool box in the trunk may be better, though it can still get hot in there.)