Targeted by Laser

ResQTech

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just take a look at the 2003 Surefire catalog. You'll see a number of gun mounted lasers.

Eugene

Flashlight Enthusiast
I thought I heard on the news that a certain color (red) maybe was banned for public sale and reserved for police gun sighting, I thought this was US wide as well. But then again the media can't report anything accurately anyway.

Empath

Flashaholic
Targeting someone with a laser is no different than pointing a fake gun at someone. It's stupid. If someone gets shot it's their own fault. If you're targeted with a weapon mounted laser you don't have time to question whether it's the real thing or a joke, just as if you have a gun turned on you; you wouldn't have time to analyze whether it's real. Surviving means taking immediate action, not standing there waiting to hear the shot.

Patrick Hayes

Newly Enlightened
Ok , I had to reread this thread just make sure, but I completely agree with Empath and Sasha on this one. Paint tragets at your own risk.

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree that pointing a laser at somebody ticks them off, and if the "target" has a gun (or is operating dangerous equipment, etc.), worse can happen... I don't do it and would tell my kids the same thing. People were painting folks and pissing them off with lasers before one was ever made small enough and attached to a gun.

Assault rifles, or scary guns, are illegal to purchase in California.

Surefire catalog is full of flashlight mounted on guns too. I am waiting for gun mounted / scary flashlights to be controlled/illegal too.

I don't expect to ever have complete agreement on anything... But even as Sasha said:
[ QUOTE ]
...there are alot of weapon mounted laser scopes running around out there. Thankfully, most of them are used by specialized law enforcement officers... but you have to figure that if the good guys have them, the bad guys do too

[/ QUOTE ]

was my point--Lasers are not very often mounted on civilian or cop's guns. I looked through google and could find only a couple of articles that even referenced a laser mounted on a gun used in a crime (one I posted on an earlier thread where the bad guy was actually shooting people--not just painting them). The only other mention I could find was the DC snipers, at some point in their life, apparently had a laser on a rifle (the article was not clear). And a new one police inspector accidentally shoots gun in Japanese police station during laser sight training.

Even one of the CPF vendor's (won't mention name--because it is not really relevant to suck them into this discussion) for a while had a law enforcement only restriction on one of their weapon flashlight light mounts (because of unclear laws?).

For me, making laser mounted sights illegal (which is were we appear to be heading) is not going to affect me one way or the other. Yes, I have seen lasers and lasers mounted on guns in show rooms... just none out in the "wild".

I am not naive. I know that laser sights are out there in many different hands. It just seems that pretty much every mention here (and google searches) was the stupid use of a laser pointer--not the targeting of a weapon mounted laser (and the one I found, the gun was being shot at people--). Given that weapon mounted lasers are much more expensive and sold in far fewer locations than the cheap lasers at Pet Co., it would seem that virtually all laser paintings are not from weapon mounted lasers.

Just out of curiosity--do you guys believe that weapon mounted laser sights should be restricted to government / law enforcement only? They don't seem to have much use in the civilian market and, I guess, we could make everyone (including police officers and stupid people that aim guns with lasers at folks) safer.

In some states, we have already outlawed purchase of simple laser pointers by minors. Eliminating the mounting of lasers to weapons would seem to make everyone safer--since making them illegal will eliminate their use on weapons (yea, like I believe another law will make us safer /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif ). Then any laser seen out there will be harmless and if a gun w/ laser is found, it can be confiscated and the owner prosecuted.

As I said, it was not important for me as I don't ever plan on using a laser sight--I just use lasers around the house for remodeling. However, I do believe they have legitimate uses both on and off guns and I worry that if we don't defend the legitimate use of something it will eventually be controlled and/or banned.

I will try and stop beating the dead horse now... I am here to learn too.

Sincerely
-Bill

PS: I am thinking of moving to Reno / Carson Valley Nevada, or somewhere else. If nothing more than because they are turning California into a welfare/nanny state where government's biggest problem is how to squeeze more money from the few taxpayers that will be left here in a couple more years...

Take care, -Bill

fuego

Newly Enlightened
Lasers on guns should'nt be banned.The major disadvantage to the user is that you are revealing your location.I believe LEOs use infrared(not visible). Lasers do look cool in the movies, but it's not cutting edge technology.Menacing,targeting,aiming weapons at people is already very illegal.Anyone who does should'nt be surprised if there are dire consequences for their actions.

Jack_Crow

Enlightened
Hi all,

I have used laser equiped hand guns in Virginia. Crimson Trace seems to be a popular brand. It's about a 200 dollar upgrade for most hand guns.

Yeah it's cool to use. It's also a new skill set to use well, and another gizmo to fail in a time of need.

The usual pattern is a guy (never saw a woman buy one) gets one , uses it for a few weeks, then put the standard parts back in his gun and trys to sell it in six months.

The advantage is mostly mental, not physical.

It also shows up human physical limits.

If I use it, the dot moves around and is nearly impossible to hold still. For target shooting it's a huge distraction. For human size targets it's not too bad.

If my wife uses it, she can hold it steady.
The reason is women are better wired than men are.
Most women can out shoot most guys.

As a tatical tool it has it's limits. Like a pointing finger the path shows up two ways. From the target to the pointer and back again.

Legal issues, bans, are all nonsense. The hand gun hasen't changed in a truly basic way in 30 (possibly longer) years. Materials and tolerances have improved, but the gizmo is still very much the same.

The troops here have an IR laser that allows them to aim thier rifles at night with the NVG gear. Check my photos for a look at that. Many of the guys have one of the ultra bright lamps on their rifle as well for spoting things in the dark here.

Hope all is well
Keep it warm

Jack Crow in Iraq /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dedhorse.gif

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
[ QUOTE ]
BB said:
Except, in NYC, it has been illegal for a normal citizen to carry a hand gun for a very long time (gun control started in NYC around 1905

[/ QUOTE ]

Bill,
Your right about that - VERY VERY hard for the "Non connected" to get a carry in NYC - basically, it OKs the cops to do nasty things to you. I'm VERY involved in the NYC RKBA movement

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just to clarify my personal opinion... From what I am aware of, the vast majority of police and police administrations seem to support civilian CCW laws--with the exception of some (most?) police chiefs in large, liberal, cities (and some states?).

In other words, gun control laws have always been politically and racially motivated--and not enacted because the average police officer wanted an unarmed citizenry to harass without consequences.

-Bill

JackBlades

Enlightened
Back in the early '80s I had a HeNe laser that was contained in an aluminum tube about 18" long and about 1.25" diameter. It was issued to nightclub bouncers as a "billyclub", and the laser was to point out offenders to other security staff in the dark clubs. Cool idea, I thought at the time..........

Could you imagine the panic that could set off now??

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Back in the late 1980s and early 1990s, I used a red laser pointer to point out the "bad guy" to the bouncer in the bar I tended bar at. I suppose I could have just used a Mag Lite for that, but it would spoil the "ambience" of the bar. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif
I'd imagine you couldn't do that anymore. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually, Craig, I'm surprised you didn't use a 6D Mag to enhance the "ambience" a little more...

Wouldn't a D cell light bored into the end of a Louisville slugger make a wonderful barlight? Sometimes the simplest applications are overlooked.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I broke a couple of baseball bats, and even broke the end of the bar clean off with one...I'd probably have spent more on incandescent bulbs for that Mag than I made in the tip jar. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif