TerraLux LightStar 220 EX.

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
The TerraLux is only slightly brighter than the Fenix last time I checked. I'd still recommend spending the extra $10 for the ITP light though.

mfranke

Newly Enlightened
I've been alternating between two of these now as an EDC, and after six months or so, I have nothing but good things to say about it.

I did switch to 2500mAH Sony NiMH's after the first (included) set of Energizers went down, with zero problems.

Regarding the finish, well, I can't seem to hurt it, but I'm not throwing it around, either. It indeed is not black (however, the lower-price 3C2AA is indeed black now; earlier versions were green), but the matte charcoal isn't bad, either.

Bottom line, for the money, this thing works very, very well.

bkkguy

Newly Enlightened
NOT Recommended: I bought this flashlight last Thanksgiving t replace an old 2AA Maglight that has performed flawlessly for almost a decade! I live in Bangkok and do bike tours thru SE Asia so I need a dependable flashlight that runs on standard batteries that are easy to find in the backcountry. At first this flashlight was brilliant--both literally and figuratively. It was so bright and seemed so well built I loved it. But 9 months on, it's begun to malfunction. Sometimes it works and sometimes not when you switch it on. Often there's a delay when you switch it on, when it does work. And after emailing the manufacturer for some help, I've gotten zero response. So before I go riding in Burma this Christmas, I'm purchasing a Fenix LD 20 (they just arrived in Bangkok) as I've read good things about this company and their products. I really wanted to like the TerraLux given it's brightness but the build quality is undependable and there's no customer service. Thumbs down--spend your money elsewhere.

VJJ

Newly Enlightened
I don't know. All that means is that it can't take 9 months of constant vibration, banging around, severe weather or rain, bolted on a bike... or possibly extremely hot nights while running constantly on high generating a lot of it's own heat.

Patdown

Newly Enlightened
OK AS POLICE OFFICER WORKING AFTERNOONS THIS IS BY FAR THE MOST DEPENDABLE AND COMPACT LIGHT I HAVE USED IT HAS REPLACED ALL MY OTHER LIGHTS AND BLOWS AWAY A STANDARD STINGER IT IS MORE THAN BRIGHT ENOUGH FOR MOST APPLICATIONS. I HAVE USED IT ON THE JOB FOR ALMOST 2 YEARS NOW AND IT IS STILL GOING STRONG... ONLY DRAWBACK WAS THE CASE ONLY LASTED ABOUT A WEEK. ALSO THE UPGRADE BY TERRALUX FOR THE STINGER IS GREAT TOO...

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK AS POLICE OFFICER WORKING AFTERNOONS THIS IS BY FAR THE MOST DEPENDABLE AND COMPACT LIGHT I HAVE USED IT HAS REPLACED ALL MY OTHER LIGHTS AND BLOWS AWAY A STANDARD STINGER IT IS MORE THAN BRIGHT ENOUGH FOR MOST APPLICATIONS. I HAVE USED IT ON THE JOB FOR ALMOST 2 YEARS NOW AND IT IS STILL GOING STRONG... ONLY DRAWBACK WAS THE CASE ONLY LASTED ABOUT A WEEK. ALSO THE UPGRADE BY TERRALUX FOR THE STINGER IS GREAT TOO...

Another Terralux fan here,bought the Lightstar 100 lumens 3 mode version,great performer,nice quality and easy in the hand and a good price here in the UK.

Lightstar100.jpg

Breathing Borla

Newly Enlightened
Thought I would dig this up since I just got one of these lights. So far, it pretty good for how cheap it was. The fit and finish is good

My ITP-E50 is a better light but it was also $20 more and uses cr-123 instead of AA.

I needed a AA battery light for work and so far this light has done pretty good.

I am running the sony stamina platinum batts for now since I got a huge pack on sale. I might go with the sanyo eneloops rechargeable next.

overall, the output is good. My ITP and this are rated around the same but the ITP puts out more with a hotter hotspot. The Terralux is a little more floody, which is ok for what I need it for.

will the output or runtime alter significantly with the rechargeable?

also picked up an ITP A3 EOS. WOW that thingis bright and nice and small for a single AAA bat.

brainy1000

Newly Enlightened
This light is pretty good. I even own a second unit intended as a future replacement. And I'm not saying here that my other models (Fenix, Romisen, etc.) are worse, this is **absolutely NOT** the case, but this Lightstar has the aditional benefit of the price (lower, where I live) if compared with other reliable brands/models with similar features.

unclevit

Newly Enlightened
Thought I would dig this up since I just got one of these lights. So far, it pretty good for how cheap it was. The fit and finish is good

My ITP-E50 is a better light but it was also $20 more and uses cr-123 instead of AA.

I needed a AA battery light for work and so far this light has done pretty good.

I am running the sony stamina platinum batts for now since I got a huge pack on sale. I might go with the sanyo eneloops rechargeable next.

overall, the output is good. My ITP and this are rated around the same but the ITP puts out more with a hotter hotspot. The Terralux is a little more floody, which is ok for what I need it for.

will the output or runtime alter significantly with the rechargeable?

also picked up an ITP A3 EOS. WOW that thingis bright and nice and small for a single AAA bat.
A lot of my men has used many AAA brands, and they all agree that this A3 EOS is the best. Super bright and the one I EDC in my pocket is already passed 2 months time with single AAA Alkaline (Used almost every night) :twothumbs

Norman

Newly Enlightened
TerraLux LightStar 220 EX.and Lithium AAs?

Sorry for bringing back a year-old thread, but the mods seem to prefer keeping things together, so I thought I'd ask here.

Has anybody tried running Lithium AAs (L91?) in a 220EX? Is this an acceptable configuration? I would hate for my friend to release the magic blue smoke in an emergency.
http://www.terraluxcorp.com/terralu...lashlights/LightStar220/tabid/70/Default.aspx

Also, any others have an opinion on this light? I see it for $20, and I'm wondering if it would make an acceptable gift for a friend to store in a car. And if I can scrape up the money, I may get one for home and thus push my Romisen RC-K4 to backup-duty. :broke:

maskman

Newly Enlightened
Re: TerraLux LightStar 220 EX.and Lithium AAs?

I have a couple of friends at work using the 220EX's on L91's without any problems. It's an impressive light for the price. It peaked my interest enough I purchased one for a graduation gift. With lithium primaries I think your friend could depend on this light for many years, minus the leaks associated with alkaline batteries. It seems to be a decent quality light at an excellant sale price, especially for gifts. I recommend jumping on the opportunity with the intent of it being a backup, in a glove box kinda light. Using L91's in it should enable it to be ready to perform when the time comes to use it.

Sorry for bringing back a year-old thread, but the mods seem to prefer keeping things together, so I thought I'd ask here.

Has anybody tried running Lithium AAs (L91?) in a 220EX? Is this an acceptable configuration? I would hate for my friend to release the magic blue smoke in an emergency.
http://www.terraluxcorp.com/terralu...lashlights/LightStar220/tabid/70/Default.aspx

Also, any others have an opinion on this light? I see it for $20, and I'm wondering if it would make an acceptable gift for a friend to store in a car. And if I can scrape up the money, I may get one for home and thus push my Romisen RC-K4 to backup-duty. :broke:

don.gwapo

Enlightened
Re: TerraLux LightStar 220 EX.and Lithium AAs?

And using L91's reduces the weight of the light. I have this light before but I gave it away coz I find it a little heavy when using with eneloops.

Norman

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the info. I'm a little torn right now. Two lights plus shipping is going to push it over my limit, and paying 50% of one light's cost on shipping makes me wonder if I can justify it.

Norman

Newly Enlightened
OK. I found the lights at Battery Junction, and the shipping should be <$10. Has anybody had any experiences with them recently?

I assume the discount code is one of the last things to be entered? I only went far enough to check shipping prices, and haven't seen it so far.