Tesla's gigafactory dropping 18650's and going with 20700 - per Elon Musk

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
Apparently, this 26650 size is being used in a Dewalt 20V battery pack. There is also a version rated at 4200mAh and 15A.
Did you mean 26650 or 20650?

I have one of the 20V packs I got for free sitting here to open up, but it's one of the smaller 2Ah/40W ones. I'm debating first if i should put it on my charger or drill first, or just strip it and avoid any possible damage to the devices. The chargers are pretty robust, so I might risk it, but I am interested to see what's inside although it is a smaller pack.

SubLGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tesla R&D might be pursuing a higher voltage Li-ion cell. Jeff Dahn will be discussing it:

http://www.internationalbatteryseminar.com/battery-research/

Surprising Chemistry in Li-Ion Cells
Jeff DahnJeff Dahn, Ph.D., FRSC, Professor of Physics and Atmospheric Science, NSERC/Tesla Canada Industrial Research Chair, and Canada Research Chair, Dalhousie University
"It is important to increase the operating voltage of NMC Li-ion cells to obtain higher energy density. However, the electrolyte reacts with the positive electrode at high voltage. Using simple experiments involving only pouch bags, we show that the products of these reactions are extremely harmful to the positive electrode. This talk demonstrates how these harmful reactions at the positive electrode can be virtually stopped, leading to superb NMC Li-ion cells that can operate at high potential."

SubLGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
...The success of Tesla and its Nevada-based Gigafactory facility has generated a lot of excitement in the LIB industry. Panasonic's automobile battery sales are forecast to grow to $4 billion a year by March 2019, largely due to their partnership with Tesla.

"We think the existing technology can still extend the energy density of LIBs by 20% to 30%," Panasonic's President Kazuhiro Tsuga said. "But there is a trade-off between energy density and safety. So, if you look for even more density, you have to think about additional safety technology as well. Solid-state batteries are one [possible] answer." These safety concerns about LIBs are also pushing Panasonic to look at alternative battery power sources.

"For decades now we have been pushing the limits of our Li-ion batteries in terms of energy density," Naoaki Yabuuchi, an associate professor at Tokyo Denki University, acknowledged. "Today's best Li-ion cells can put out about 300 watts per kilogram; a package of Li-ion cells can give off from 150 watts to 250 watts per kilogram. These levels are already close to the theoretical maximum."

Yabuuchi is an expert on various types of rechargeable batteries. In his view, LIBs will reach the limit of their desirability as early as the first half of 2020 if their development continues to rely on existing technologies. But he has hope that new research can open up more capacity. "Existing LIBs still have room to improve their energy density because you can raise the density by introducing a nickel-based cathode material, so you can expect the batteries will still be used in the next few years."

https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-partner-panasonic-20-30-percent-energy-density-increase/

SubLGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is Tesla dropping the 21700 cell for the new Model 3 battery pack, in favor of a rectangular format cell, called the 4416 ?????

That is the claim being made here:
http://gas2.org/2017/07/24/source-tells-teslanomics-tesla-using-44160-cells-model-3-battery-packs/

Tesla began manufacturing so-called 2170 battery cells at the Gigafactory in Nevada last year... Until this point, it was assumed that Tesla would utilize the 2170 cells to make the battery packs for the Model 3. But if Ben Sullins' source is correct, the Model 3 battery pack will actually used battery cells that are 44 millimeters high and 16 millimeters wide….

Ben Sullins of Teslanomics has created a thriving business by reporting on all things Tesla and doing it in an authoritative fashion. When you get recognized as an authority, people tell you things that they don't tell others. Right now, Sullins say he has a source that is "very close to Tesla" who is telling him the battery pack in the new Model 3 due out on Friday will use a brand new lithium ion cell format...

https://teslanomics.co/new-model-3-battery-cells