TEST: Armytek Wizard Pro XPL HD Warm - How HOT Can It Be?

clemence

Newly Enlightened
I recently tested several returned headlamps from my customers for warranty claims, mostly driver related problems. I had a chance to thermal test one which functions OK, but has a bulging button problem. Because some people still wondering if the thermal protection is there or not.

Here's the video link:

The answer is: Yes, it's there. No, it's not automatic. Once triggered you'll stay in firefly mode until you switch it to another mode.

- Clemence -

Last edited:

ledmitter_nli

Flashlight Enthusiast
So thermal shutdown kicks in well above the temp that will burn skin.

Great! :thumbsup:

clemence

Newly Enlightened
So thermal shutdown kicks in well above the temp that will burn skin.

Great! :thumbsup:

Depends on the person who handle/touch it. I have no problem touching it (when I turned it off and on), but grabbing it is another story. But most women,kids, and babies with naturally thinner skin (compared to most of us CPF-ers who can handle hot wires when soldering) will find it TOO HOT. I agree this is not a user friendly approach, they should lower the temp. by let's say....45C perhaps? Or even better, make more sensible modes.

I myself don't really like the inefficient Max/Turbo/over driven/coffee warmer/whatever mode. But this is one of the consequences of going with the crowd demands. The mass and surface area of Wizard isn't enough even for 8 watt continuous run. Adding more LED's with the same (low) current setting will make it brighter without losing the efficacy. This is what really happened with quad array in the XHP50 version, but.....then again....AT keep pushing up the limit. If they keep using the same wattage output with the new XHP50 version there will be no battery choice problems, longer runtimes, and perhaps normal operating temperature.

Older XPL version outputs almost 11watt, and the new XHP50 version outputs way beyond 22watt - with the same body :shakehead

Cheers,
Clemence

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do I understand properly that a thermo couple was attached to a tail cap? I guess the head could boil water then.

clemence

Newly Enlightened
Do I understand properly that a thermo couple was attached to a tail cap? I guess the head could boil water then.

It's not that hot, I could still quickly touch it. No, of course not, the thermal step down system is in the driver board or near it, dunno exactly. No thermocouple attached to the LED's MCPCB. I guess AT use temperature reading from the headlamp upper body (connected by the thermally conductive epoxy/silicone potting compound) OR.... the driver reads the LED's forward voltage (the higher the temperature, the lower the vF). The latter one is a very accurate method with lightning fast response without having to add additional thermocouple.

You can see that the thermocouple I used had pretty slow response readings (attached using god-knows-what thermal putty I took from a used VGA card).

Last edited:

ledmitter_nli

Flashlight Enthusiast
Depends on the person who handle/touch it. I have no problem touching it (when I turned it off and on), but grabbing it is another story. But most women,kids, and babies with naturally thinner skin (compared to most of us CPF-ers who can handle hot wires when soldering) will find it TOO HOT. I agree this is not a user friendly approach, they should lower the temp. by let's say....45C perhaps? Or even better, make more sensible modes.

I myself don't really like the inefficient Max/Turbo/over driven/coffee warmer/whatever mode. But this is one of the consequences of going with the crowd demands. The mass and surface area of Wizard isn't enough even for 8 watt continuous run. Adding more LED's with the same (low) current setting will make it brighter without losing the efficacy. This is what really happened with quad array in the XHP50 version, but.....then again....AT keep pushing up the limit. If they keep using the same wattage output with the new XHP50 version there will be no battery choice problems, longer runtimes, and perhaps normal operating temperature.

Older XPL version outputs almost 11watt, and the new XHP50 version outputs way beyond 22watt - with the same body :shakehead

Cheers,
Clemence

I'm actually not a wussy :D I mean sure I can 'touch' the outside, I can even touch (briefly) the side of a sauce pan with a rolling boil of water in it, but grabbing and holding the light at these temps is just way too hot, it burns, and isn't good for a lithium health at all - to boot.

I can say perhaps when the headlamp is fitted in the headband rings the heat is less of an issue. But still, as a multifunction light, it's too hot.

Latest posts