"Thanks for the keyring light; I'll keep it near my closet"

Cavi Mike

Banned
In other words, "I'd like to get my aging mother a smoke detector and a carbon monoxide detector. But because she's never believed she'd need them, I won't."

I guess you're talking about tools whose readiness would cause inconvenience.

A smoke detector is not a tool, it functions autonomously.

You clearly don't have a grasp on this entire debate so instead of dismissing all of the advice you're given, take heed to it. Why else did you start this thread if it weren't to seek some advice?

BillSWPA

Enlightened
I have an Inova keychain light on my keychain even though there is a Surefire E2D LED on my belt and a Surefire E1E in my jacket pocket. My wife has a keychain light on her keychain even though there is a Surefire L4 in her purse. They make great backup lights, and put out a surprisingly useful amount of light. When demonstrating a Photon Microlight to a shooting instructor several years ago on a darkened indoor range during a low/no light shooting session, the instructor was able to not only see the target clearly, but was able to pick out bullet holes on the target from several feet away.

In preparation for a trade show last summer, I wanted a giveaway that would be different from the pens, etc. that most companies give out, and something that would actually be used. I went to a local printer, had him order samples of various keychain lights, and found an inexpensive one (about $1 per unit) that put out some very useful light. It appeared to be reasonably durable for what it was. I ordered about 500, and had the printer add my business name and website. They have proven to be quite a hit. People do find these things to be useful.

fyrstormer

Banned
In other words, "I'd like to get my aging mother a smoke detector and a carbon monoxide detector. But because she's never believed she'd need them, I won't."

I guess you're talking about tools whose readiness would cause inconvenience.
A smoke detector isn't a tool, it's a household fixture. You don't pick it up and carry it with you, or walk over to it to use it for a specific purpose -- it's part of the house. A smoke detector is no more a tool than a wall sconce is.

Anyway, I certainly wouldn't get someone a smoke detector as a gift. People expect gifts to be fun, pretty, comfortable, or immediately useful for a need they know they have; giving someone a smoke detector would be like an anti-gift, because even if the gift were a complete surprise, they'd still have a moment of excitement before opening the box to find a little plastic disc that will only ever be useful to them if their house burns down. Give your mom something she can enjoy using, and then install the smoke detector "as long as I'm here visiting".

Last edited:

fyrstormer

Banned
Did I say otherwise? :thinking:
I was being silly. :p

They--especially the ones who carry relatively large purses--often carry a lot of things that they couldn't possibly use, such as long-expired department store credit cards and all kinds of other things (many not useful, even as fashion accessories because they're not visible) that collect over time. I have limited space, so I only carry things that may be needed in a pinch, and I take their criticism of my choices as a disagreement as to what is potentially useful. That's all I said. I don't mean to stereotype, either, as everybody is an individual, although I have been able to draw some generalizations about the people whom I know personally (women and men).
Bags of all kinds tend to fill up over time, no doubt about that. While a woman with a hefty purse might not remember everything that's in their bag at a given moment, they do know that those things (whatever they are) ended up in the bag because they were useful. They might not be inclined to add more to the bulk, though, because they are also quite aware of how heavy the bag has become. I'm not excusing the behavior, just explaining it. Most of my favorite women don't even carry purses.

Maybe that's their ploy, but I'm not always around, and most men I know don't EDC emergency equipment. In fact, some of them regularly have their wives carry items around for them in their purses. :)
Calling it a ploy is a bit too cynical, I think. It's not so much a ploy as a societal practice that's so ingrained nobody even needs to think about it -- a woman in need of a tool will soon be set upon by men willing to help her with whatever her problem is. (laugh away, I know there's a joke in there somewhere.) Likewise, any man who wants some attention from a woman will quickly learn to be helpful from the example of other men. I don't think there's even enough conscious thought involved at this point for it to be fair to call it a "ploy".

Far from it--I've used my flashlights for them on a number of occasions, and eventually they came around to carrying a flashlight themselves (men, too), but it took some time and convincing. I still remember when the power went out at night at work (small company working out of a house in a semi-rural area at the time), and everybody needed a flashlight. As it happened, I kept a bunch of fauxtons in my desk for just such an occasion, and I immediately gave them out ("Keep it."). Most of my coworkers thanked me and seemed to finally see the light (after having ribbed me for my EDC ways for years), but one lady who always gave me the hardest time (in a friendly way, but it still irked me on some level over time) actually asked "What do you keep all those flashlights in your desk for?" Uh...REALLY?! :duh2::D
I had a similar experience in my office. The power went out, and I loaned someone a flashlight, then later they asked to borrow it again. The second time I handed them a different light, and they said "no, I mean the big o...wait, why do you have two flashlights?" I replied "that seems like kind of a dumb question right now, doesn't it?" Some people...

Sometimes people just don't want to think about bad things happening...they'll put a lot of forethought into being well prepared for touching up their makeup or picking things out of their teeth, for example, but not for things like arterial bleeding (I EDC a tourniquet :))
Funny you should mention it, because I EDC a bag of Celox hemostat. I figure it's less likely to make me look like a drug addict at work, and I can get a strip of fabric from anyone who's wearing socks -- it's the hemostat that I'll be more likely to need and less likely to find on-the-spot.

GaAslamp

Enlightened
Calling it a ploy is a bit too cynical, I think. It's not so much a ploy as a societal practice that's so ingrained nobody even needs to think about it -- a woman in need of a tool will soon be set upon by men willing to help her with whatever her problem is. (laugh away, I know there's a joke in there somewhere.) Likewise, any man who wants some attention from a woman will quickly learn to be helpful from the example of other men. I don't think there's even enough conscious thought involved at this point for it to be fair to call it a "ploy".

"I was being silly. :p"

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
The thing to get around is that even if people behave like that you have to remember that the practical items we all give as gifts might not always save a life but they will certainly save someones butt. We can feel good about that and it's the reason to keep doing it.

Plus it makes for good stories for those in the know.

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think some people live in a different world than I do :) I would never dream of giving any female a flashlight regardless of size or color as a Christmas present. I've given some away just when I saw a need but not as a present

It might be useful and even help them out of a jam but so would a spare tire iron :)

As far as carrying things on key rings that's just a personal preference. I don't carry a light on my key ring any bigger or heavier than a plastic button style light.

Why does someone have to carry it on a key ring if they don't want to . If a female carries it in her car or purse that's still useful and if a guy keeps it in the car, a jacket pocket or in his desk it's still useful.

I would hazard a guess that the majority of flashaholics don't EDC anythng and certainly those with multiple flashlights on them at all times are in the (vocal) minority.

Personally I get more enjoyment out of giving lights if it's just when I notice that someone needs a light and never seems to have one.

Gregozedobe

Enlightened
So, to summarise:

Some people like receiving practical presents, others don't.

Some people like to be prepared, others don't.

Some people like to loan their lights, others don't.

Almost everyone likes to see recipients carrying the light just gifted to them, some get irritated if they don't, others try not to care.

Some people get annoyed at other people, some don't.

I think that about covers it .......

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
So, to summarise:

Some people like receiving practical presents, others don't.

Some people like to be prepared, others don't.

Some people like to loan their lights, others don't.

Almost everyone likes to see recipients carrying the light just gifted to them, some get irritated if they don't, others try not to care.

Some people get annoyed at other people, some don't.

I think that about covers it .......
Greg, you pretty well summarised it!

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
You clearly don't have a grasp on this entire debate so instead of dismissing all of the advice you're given, take heed to it. Why else did you start this thread if it weren't to seek some advice?
Mike,
I don't believe I've dismissed "all the advice" I've been given. Several contributors have suggested ways to make it more likely that a flashlight given as a surprise will be used as intended: Pick an appealing color, keep it small, give it when the need arises. These are all excellent tips.

Your advice was different: Never give a flashlight unless the person explicitly expressed a wish for it. That's akin to being asked, "How can I reduce my chances of getting into a car accident?" and responding, "Stay off the road." You might as well advise, "Avoid any activity that carries a risk greater than zero."

Six out of eight recipients are EDCing the 1xAA and 1xAAA lights I gave them. The other two are using them, just not EDCing them. My 5-year-old grandson is delighted with the Romisen RC-29 II zoomable light he just received.

Based on this record, I shall continue to give lights as surprise gifts. But I will take to heart the advice that others have graciously shared.

RedForest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think it really depends on who you choose to give a light to. I would only give a decent light to someone I knew well enough to:

1. Know they would appreciate it.
2. Be confident enough to just tell them 'I'm going to put this on your keychain' and put it on for them myself.
3. Trust not to lose/break it (or at least take care not to).

Fauxtons are a different matter; even if the only use it gets is turning on once and being impressed by how bright it is, then that's enough for me.

Samy

Enlightened
I've have friends who MUST have the biggest flashlight they can buy. Even though my little 1xAA light would be just as bright and prob last longer, they insist on lugging around huge cheap supermarket/hardware store lights because 'bigger is better'. Each to their own ;)

Haesslich

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've have friends who MUST have the biggest flashlight they can buy. Even though my little 1xAA light would be just as bright and prob last longer, they insist on lugging around huge cheap supermarket/hardware store lights because 'bigger is better'. Each to their own ;)

And that's when you pull out the TK-70 to put their 'bigger' lights to shame. In multiple ways.

squaat

Newly Enlightened
Interesting thread. I've gifted many lights to many people, including the fairer sex.

Most recently I gave my wife a new purse light. She had a LD01 SS before, and I "upgraded" her to a Green Thrunite Ti. She smiled a little as I switched it over, only because green is her favourite color.

So I think color to many people is important. Gifting to girls is difficult. We love flashlights here. Most other people could care less. Most of my family have no idea how amazing the the lights i've given them are... most just don't care.

My tips for gifting lights to girls (of course this is a generalization - girls who don't currently carry lights, or have no intention to)
* 1AA or 1AAA only
* tell them it's a purse light
* KISS interface. a 3 mode twisty is pushing it.
* get it in a color that they like. Black and olive drab are too tool like. Silver or bright colors seems to be acceptable

The Fauxton idea is a neat one... will probably do that next year for stocking stuffers... better than nothing I guess. Could help people accept something better later :)

ncbill

Newly Enlightened
1xAAA lights are still pretty big for a keychain.

Were I gifting lights I'd stick with the Fauxtons, since I think those have the best chance of actually being put on a keychain.

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
When flashlights first came into being they were called "flash lights" because the batteries were so poor that they would only work a short time. Many people used them in homes to check on the baby, look in the closet, or find the bathroom at night. It doesn't surprise me that non-flashaholics would see a need for one near the closet!

fyrstormer

Banned
Your advice was different: Never give a flashlight unless the person explicitly expressed a wish for it. That's akin to being asked, "How can I reduce my chances of getting into a car accident?" and responding, "Stay off the road." You might as well advise, "Avoid any activity that carries a risk greater than zero."
That is not a valid comparison. In the car example, the goal is to avoid a difficult situation, whereas in the flashlight example, the goal is to deal effectively with a difficult situation that couldn't be avoided. A valid comparison would be:

Q: "How can I reduce my chances of dying in a car accident?"
A: "By wearing a seatbelt and driving a car with airbags. By the way, I installed seatbelts and airbags in your car."

The difference is that now the car example also has the goal of dealing effectively with a difficult situation that couldn't be avoided. (obviously there's a rather large difference in severity between getting in a car crash vs. needing to walk around the house at night, but at least the two examples are the same type now.)

I still wouldn't give someone seatbelts and airbags for Christmas, though. Some people appreciate practical gifts, some people don't, but EVERYONE appreciates fun gifts. Practical gifts I give to people because I think they should have them, whenever it occurs to me. On holidays, I give people fun gifts.

GaAslamp

Enlightened
1xAAA lights are still pretty big for a keychain.

Were I gifting lights I'd stick with the Fauxtons, since I think those have the best chance of actually being put on a keychain.

What about Thumb-Lites, I wonder? They're tiny enough to stick on a house key (or, for that matter, a fauxton ;)). Fauxtons still have advantages as unsolicited practical gifts, such as lower cost and greater output, but something small enough to use a key as a host should be convenient enough to carry all the time. The main question is: does it work as advertised in practice?