The 30" Night Hawk

LightSward

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just temporarily installed the Lithonia 100 watt HID from Home Depot, into the Night Hawk. What an incredible light, how much just a 100 watt HID regular loading door light produces, when used this way. I'll post some photos soon.

I will bring this light, along with the 36 inch Gorilla, to this Fall's: CPF Seattle Get Together

FALL Get Together using Spring link:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?310143-Seattle-area-GT-in-May/page3

See you there. :wave:

Last edited:

LightSward

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here is a beam shot of the NightHawk with just a 100 watt HID from Home Depot! Nice beam.

6162124260_9d325d4137_z.jpg

The NightHawk lights the Night Sky

Here I have temporarily installed a regular metal halide 100 watt light from home depot. Nice well focused beam!

LightSward

Flashlight Enthusiast
Awesome stuff. These parabolic spotlights have me doing alot of reading. I started gathering parts for a build of my own. I have a 48" plastic satellite dish that is a lil over 5" deep. As for the light I was thinking an 100w automotive xenon projector with the boundries and cutoff removed would be perfect(although it is slightly elliptical) and throw some pretty even light. I dunno how it will work as it throws light relatively sharp and focusing the beam may be dificult. The chrome I did some searching and found someone did all the work for me. spaz tix is the name, dunno how durible it is yet. This is just an idea at this point, I need all the input I can get.

LRKillKillABAlcladSpaz-vi.jpg
sp10009.gif

I actually thought of using spoons as reflectors myself.
:naughty:
How did your project turn out?

I just purchased a fiberglass paint that allows copper electroplating and then chrome.

LightSward

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been using templates developed from this light to make the pro to-type production light called the: 26" LightSport
I'm developing mirroring methods using the NightHawk.

Some Photos::naughty:

Reduced and polished concrete mold, made from the 30 inch "NightHawk".

6943174119_031dd016bc_z.jpg

Waxed and polished concrete mold ready for fiber-glassing

6797060168_8490c8bcf6_z.jpg

The removal of the product, was much easier by using melted polished candle wax on mold.

I'm ready to apply the 'acid copper' onto the painted copper layer.
6797062706_0bfc4b02d9_z.jpg

Acid Copper layers are now added to make the Copy Chrome like a 'Mirror'.

I hope to use this on all the searchlight models I have worked on...We'll see!?!!!:naughty:

I can't wait to see what you end up with, you seem to improve your reflectors all the time. I can see why you used the chrome tape, but I think getting away from that will help a lot.

LightSward

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can't wait to see what you end up with, you seem to improve your reflectors all the time. I can see why you used the chrome tape, but I think getting away from that will help a lot.

Thanks for the kind words. Reflector improvements quite often on my mind. The quality of the reflection, using the electroplating, should improve, eliminating much of the orange peel look along with better surface of fiberglass. I'm getting pretty good electroplating objects under 11 inches diameter, but may purchase larger tanks to get the quality needed on the Night Hawk, I've been using the 'puddle' method, and the quality is harder to control, but much less costs and shop space taken.

get-lit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Optiforms has a 24.82"CA 6.87"FL Electroformed Reflector for an incredible price. That's what I'd use for this sort of project. I might pick one up for some fun at some point down the road.

That takes some of the fun out of it though, doesn't it? He's put quite a lot in to designing and building his own reflectors. How much is "an incredible price"? I don't see any prices listed on their site.
Optiforms has a 24.82"CA 6.87"FL Electroformed Reflector for an incredible price. That's what I'd use for this sort of project. I might pick one up for some fun at some point down the road.

Last edited:

LightSward

Flashlight Enthusiast

That takes some of the fun out of it though, doesn't it? He's put quite a lot in to designing and building his own reflectors. How much is "an incredible price"? I don't see any prices listed on their site.

I like making my own reflectors, but still may purchase one of these. :thumbsup:

LightSward

Flashlight Enthusiast
The completely new, duplicate, and without many of the blemishes, and flaws of the original; "NightHawk", is about to light the night!

I've finished applying an Edmund Scientific reflecting mirror as recommended by electromage , applied using carpet tape. Test, including laser trace and small, bright, point and mask LED's, show the New Improved "30 inch NightHawk" should kick A-zz. I can't wait to get this thing lamped and yoked for what should look and act like a big, heavy searchlight, yet will be light-weight and easy to transport.

Reflector still has some improvements since I used the original NightHawk with some 'smoothing' as the mold...yet I'm still impressed. This Searchlight so far is easy to maneuver and lightweight enough to carry with backpack attachment or handle and transports easily in compact car back seat, passenger seat, hatchback or trunk. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

LightSward

Flashlight Enthusiast
Recently built the light bulb socket from an electrician's electrical grounding components and a 'cutting' board as co-recommended by a Home Depot employee. Looks pretty nice. photos soon.

I should be able to mount the 'Delta-focusing Plate' with the top part of the 'split reflector', so that the bulb and top reflector focus together, making the main reflector focus much easier. This had been a problem in the past...i.e., focus the bulb to the main reflector and then the back reflector would be out of focus...nightmare to work with before. I'm getting better at this.

To the Seattle Area get together, this may be the light, (NightHawk), I bring and showcase this year. Hopefully I can bring the main unit into the 'barn' before night fall so people can get a close up look.

Last edited:

LightSward

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here are some photos of the most recent development of the Experimental series of Searchlights which include the 30inch Night-Hawk.

7247423190_4a68a920e4_z.jpg

Start of 30 inch reflector mirror covering

Start of Edmund optical mirror application. The double sided adhesive worked well in some places but others it slightly bubbled.

7247423402_9bef7a17b7.jpg

30 inch experimental reflector
Reflector showing distorted reflection of surroundings.

7247423970_23078dcd0b.jpg

Jenbo 1,200 watt HMI and split reflector and socket homemade

You can see the mounting hardware used to hold bulb on a shaped cutting board as the socket body. The 'back-reflector' is seen above bulb and supplied light back to the main reflector that otherwise would be wasted.

7247423614_a4d084da68_z.jpg

30 inch reflector
The bulb cooling, rain protector is seen above the main light output globe.

7247424330_180b465f27.jpg

One candle 30 inch reflector from 25 feet

Candle image from down the hall.

7247424226_a85a6de4d0.jpg

One lighter from 120 feet away 30 inch reflector
I held a lighter in one hand at focal point and balanced camera in other to photograph image on garage door to right from a hundred twenty feet away.

I hope, with all the little issues I had with the reflector, the Experimental 30 inch Night-Hawk will make a half way decent beam!

Last edited:

get-lit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great work. I suggest using 3 slightly smaller bolts than the two you have for mounting and adjusting the back/retro reflector. That will reinforce it against forces in all direction with less noticeable obstruction from the bolts. It will also allow you to adjust all three XYZ dimensions.

LightSward

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great work. I suggest using 3 slightly smaller bolts than the two you have for mounting and adjusting the back/retro reflector. That will reinforce it against forces in all direction with less noticeable obstruction from the bolts. It will also allow you to adjust all three XYZ dimensions.

Thank you for the kind words.

I have to admit, I was going to use three smaller bolts, but my budget, and optional hardware for this project is running out, so I went with what I already had on hand. The good news, I was able to make 'slots' on the two adjustable plates that hold the whole assembly; so 'some' X,Y,Z -3 axis control is available. I also decided to line up the bolts with the hardware inside the bulb. I was surprised at how the bulb interior is not centered to the outer part of the bulb, so I added a slight 'twist' to the assembly to minimize all the shadows into just the two standard ones on opposite sides of the bulb. I have carefully measured the focal point using a bright 'point' LED lamp and am making sure the first start position of the arc is exactly where this is, (or should be), so I hopefully won't have to do much focusing.

Hope this works. Next one will be the 'delta' design as you mentioned.:)

I already 'bumped' the side of the assembly and wished that I had secured it with three bolts. I may use bailing wire for a temp fix...LOL. As you can see I have already resorted to some 'jury rigging' of things; out of impatience and a desire to get this searchlight ready for our CPF Seattle Area Get-together this coming Saturday, 26th day of May, 2012.

Hopefully I won't be too embarrassed. If the light beam is roughly the same or better than the 36 inch Gorilla, I will have accomplished my goal for this particular project of making a much lighter weight, and smaller, easier to transport searchlight. The Gorilla on the outside actually measures close to 40 inches, the 36 inches being the actual reflector surface size. The Gorilla can be a bit of a hassle, sometimes, to get into my care...still not too bad. The 30 inch Night-Hawk is the outside dimension of the reflector and the actual reflector with integrated frame is 29 inches. Overall, it is much easier to transport just being smaller and lighter-weight .

Last edited:

LightSward

Flashlight Enthusiast
Glad the Forum is back up and running.

The new 30 inch Nighthawk is up and shining! Still need to work on focus, orange peel reflector issues and other, but decent beam. Almost as good as the Gorilla beam, much easier to transport. The split beam reflector next to the bulb, has slightly tarnished, so doesn't reflect as much light through the arc chamber to the main reflector as when new. Still, it lit up clouds a mile and a half up. Here are some photos I took last night while adjusting the focus.

7266416030_81fa5e2c7f.jpg

Nighthawk ready for final assembly.

7266416076_0ea0215d8d.jpg

Nighthawk ready for 'Ignition".

7266416384_68c64da0ab.jpg

Nighthawk Beam is fatter than expected

Nighthawk Beam is bright, but a little fatter than expected. The 10 mm arc may be too large for any reflector smaller than 30 inches, if it is to make a narrow beam. I still can adjust the focus, though mechanism not easy to work with when lamp is on.

7266416312_fabe1e82e9.jpg

Nighthawk lights up the clouds a mile and a half up

Nighthawk lights up the clouds a mile and a half up, really interesting to watch the clouds move in and out of the beam.

7266416202_b1bf0eacf2.jpg

Nighthawk lights clouds a mile and half up

Nighthawk lights clouds a mile and half up. Beam is a little fatter than I was hoping for.

7266416172_3d21ac1304.jpg

Beam slices night sky

Beam slices night sky, makes decent beam.

See everyone at the Seattle area CPF Get Together.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?336511-CPF-NW-2012-Spring-GTG-

Last edited: