The 5mm Challenge

smokelaw1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oof, whatever did we do before we had multi-level lights? Didn't Gransee once say to "cover the head with your finger"?

LOL, yup. My AAA entry is my trusty Arc-AAA that lives every day on my keychain, probably since about a month after my join date here. BUT....I challenge anybody to change a poop-explosion on a screaming three week old at 4am, reswaddle said three week old and put her back in the crib while holding a finger over the head of a flashlight. Twisty on lowest low in candle mode won out.

Launch Mini

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess I will need to buy the Sapphire now, so I can partake in this weekly challange. It might take me a week before the light arrives.
There might be an E01 somewhere in the house, but purple tint OMG.
How about a SPY007 on low? lol

JA(me)S

Enlightened
Ok, I'll play - but I'm watching you, Mr. Carrot, with wary eyes. If this is some kind of attempt at weaning us; if next week you offer a new challenge with even less output, or (gulp) try to get us to go without a light for one day, just one little day...

My little ARC has been a good and faithful servant for six years now - don't forget you can use the clip attached to a hat to go hands-free.

arcp.jpg

- Jas.

DM51

Flashaholic
I'm a fail on this one. A big-a$$ feral moggy showed up here 2 nights ago, black as night, wild and at least 4 feet long, and I'm hoping to give it a taste of 7x57mm next time it appears. I doubt a 5mm Arc will be sufficient as illumination to help me do the job at 300 feet, lol. I'll need an M6, Mag85 or maybe even my PH40.

gustophersmob

Newly Enlightened
AWESOME idea, Carrot! :bow: Here's my entry! :) Survivor of this winter's abuse thread, a steelwool diffused Olive EO1. Still going strong and living on my keyring.

Carrying my E01 again for this thread put me in the mood to reread some of the old E01 threads on here. While doing so I came across this post: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...-reliability&p=2933481&viewfull=1#post2933481

Pretty funny considering you later did probably the best (certainly most fun to read) torture tests on the E01! :thumbsup:

dss_777

Enlightened
This would have been easy to do not so long ago, since I only had a very well used ~5 lm Arc AAA on my keys for the last 7 years or so. I say it WOULD have been easy to do until I recently ran into Malkoff's stuff.

I'll give it a try with the Arc, but I blame you guys if I bump my head or walk off a cliff or something. :eek:

nbp

Flashaholic
Ok, Carrot, I'm gonna try it, starting today. I will carry a big-boy along just in case, but I will try not to use it unless provoked. Oh, and I reserve the right to use different 5mm lights if the mood strikes me. :nana:

The E01 will probably get the most use. The Arc-P will likely see some love (already used it this morning actually). And the fauxton will probably see bedside use. I got it from EngrPaul, who had put a rad pink 5mm in it. It's dimmer than the other two and has a pleasing rosy tint, so it might be better for late night adventures.

photo1gs.jpg

photo2ub.jpg

And just for additional evidence of why 5mm lights are still useful, I submit comparison pics of the above E01 and two brand new ones. These lights can take a beating and keep on ticking. Very tough little guys. This thing has seen no mercy on my keys, notice how dinged up it is compared to the new ones. :eek:oo:

As an aside, also notice that Fenix must have changed their machining a bit between runs of these, or maybe produced them in different plants or something. With the logos up, the two on the right have their split ring holes on the right flange, and the one on the left has it on left. The far left light also has a different serial number style than the other two. :shrug:

photo3qw.jpg

photo4he.jpg

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting challenge. If I only had placed and received my order for a second E01 (and what a coincidence nbp! I'm going for gold on this one!), I would have better chances. Can we at least play with our other lights when we don't really need a flashlight and only use the 5mm for actual business? I might be too weak for this one.... And to say that my first 5 lumen flashlight beat the crap out of everything I had previously owned...

radioactive_man

Enlightened
*raises Maelstrom G5 over head* FROM MY COLD, DEAD HANDS!!!

Sorry, but I could never do this, 'cuz I *need* my 350 lumen photon cannon, mmkay?

Chrisdm

Enlightened
That's not a 5mm-based light. This is a self-administered challenge to see if you can in fact, live with only 5-10 lumens! (10 lumen figure taken from Arcflashlight.com)

For reference, this is a 5mm LED:
5mmledmed.jpg

Oh sorry, no way then... My nightly dog hunt/walk would be a complete failure.. :)

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use a Solitaire that I modded with a Nichia CS for around the house, night time use almost all the time. Drilled out the reflector, sanded down the leds on the Nichia, 'sanded the Nichia with some ~800 grit paper for a wider hotspot and a less ugly beam and run it direct drive on a 10440. They die after about 2 years of use, but I bought about 50 of them.

Outdoors? No thanks. I'll stick to real lights.
nana.gif

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only 5mm light I can find is my covert nose red LED photon freedom micro...and there's no way I'm going to try using that as my only light for any amount of time.

My wife probably has them spread amongst her purses and bags... :sigh:

--flatline

jupello

Enlightened
I'll pick the "Police 3W" china-light :naughty:
lightt.jpg

It has unknown, cheap 5mm led with big die on it.
ledfp.jpg

Should be no problem to use this for one more week if it wont break down before that.

mbw_151

Enlightened
Alright, I'm game. Just the Photon Freedom and a SAK Executive for a week. I'm pretty sure that I can do this, but I'm leaving the Quark AA and a Benchmade in the briefcase just in case.... I don't expect to have a problem until Friday night and Saturday. Those are the times I get to wear clothes that allow me to carry my favorite lights (and knives) that are too bulky for work dress. Sunday will be easier, because it's Mother's Day and I'll have to look nice for the festivities all day. We'll see how it goes.

nbp

Flashaholic
One day down. I didn't have to do much lighting today, so these little guys did just fine. There is a level of understated grace and simplicity in these types of lights that is kind of refreshing actually. I am looking forward to keeping this going the next few days, should be interesting.