• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired The Aeon Mk. III

Endeavour

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks everyone - it's very gratifying to see you enjoying your lights. :)

I am nearly out of stock on titanium lights. I have four left presently, and expect to run out of stock soon. I'll have more in June, I expect, but if you've been wanting one, I'd recommend getting one sooner rather than later. They're available here: http://bit.ly/1UX59r9

I've got healthy inventory on most other versions.

I'm happy to report that the sheaths have been completed and shipped out to me today. I should have them end-of-week and will be sending them out to all of you immediately upon arrival. I also have a few surprise colors coming in in Shell Cordovan that will be put up on Instagram when they arrive. :D

If you have any questions please feel free to post here or drop me a line at [email protected]!

Thanks!

Enrique

Endeavour

Flashlight Enthusiast
Small update: There are presently two titanium lights left, and I have very few Desert Tan 7075-T6 models. I will have more stock of both in June once they run out. You can get them both at http://shop.muyshondt.net/.

Blue, Black, and Copper lights still have healthy inventory.

I'll have some photos of the new sheaths up tomorrow!

Enrique

Southernlight

Enlightened
I've done a cull on my collection of lower end lights to fund the Aeon III so I now have a Desert Tan on order for me.

I can't quite reason why but I have a fondness for CR2 lights. Perhaps its the size and shape that results.
I do wonder about the energy efficiency of the CR2 compared to the AA or AAA.

My Aeon I which is a two mode I will keep, it gets some use.
I look forward to trying out this clicky III version.

Hoosier Light

Newly Enlightened
"I can't quite reason why but I have a fondness for CR2 lights. Perhaps its the size and shape that results."

CR2 is much overlooked IMHO. Combines lots of juice with very small size. I myself put off getting an Aeon for a couple years because I didn't want to have to use an uncommon, expensive battery. Now, of course, it's use is one of the reasons I think Enrique is a genius. And, as long as you buy them on the internet, they are not expensive either.

Endeavour

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello Everyone,

A few new Shell Cordovan sheaths are on the shop today in Black, Whiskey, Color No. 8, and Forest Green (click the image):

I went a little overboard on color variations this time around, and in the future, I expect to only make the most popular ones of these going forwards.

I am now out of stock of titanium lights until likely mid-June. If you place an order now, your order will ship as soon as they're ready then!
https://shop.muyshondt.net/products/aeon-mk-iii-titanium

Southernlight & Hoosier_Light: The CR2 affords a worthwhile form factor. I find CR123 lights awkward - the cell has a higher capability, both in storage capacity and how much current it can provide, but it's just a weird size. A tiny CR123 light doesn't give you enough thermal mass to take advantage of it's power without overheating. If you remove the size constraint to get better thermal mass, and thus more versatile output options, then you might as well just make something bigger anyway because it's no longer really a pocket light (at least not a comfortable one, in any case).

The CR2 is inexpensive when bought online in any reasonable quantity. The runtimes the Aeon provides make you not need very many of them. The very fact that the Aeon is as small as it is, while still providing good quality, high output light, means it will likely become one of your most used lights, if for no other reason than just by virtue of the fact that it's small enough to be with you at all times. :)

Enrique

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yup- CR2s can be had cheap. I bought Duracell Ultra CR2s with a 2024 expiration date from Amazon for under $22 for 12. Same batteries in the local Rite Aid were $10 apiece or $16 for 2. You just have to shop carefully.

And the run time on this light is incredible. I got almost 17 hours out of an old CR2 - showing 2.94V at the start - on medium. And it's in my pocket right now.... :)

Newguy2012

Enlightened
@Endeavour What 219b do you use in your light? NVSL219BT-v1 sw40 r9050 spec?

I like the whiskey color. Will you have these made more frequent than your previous line? I remember MKii was really limited. or Maybe I was really late to discover it. I'm interested in the AL version. I hope you will have that one more readily available when I come around to get one.

Endeavour

Flashlight Enthusiast
Newguy2012: I've been copied enough in the past that I don't tend to reveal binning details or otherwise anymore; it's not very relevant unless something bad was chosen, which clearly wasn't.

The Aeon Mk. III should be generally available, I do not expect it to go out of production any time soon, though it may be possible that some versions won't be made again (IE: Copper or certain aluminum colors). I'm currently out of titanium lights and nearly out of desert tan, but I expect to have more of those around June.

All the best,

Enrique

Rudi

Enlightened
Hello Everyone,

Southernlight & Hoosier_Light: The CR2 affords a worthwhile form factor. I find CR123 lights awkward - the cell has a higher capability, both in storage capacity and how much current it can provide, but it's just a weird size. A tiny CR123 light doesn't give you enough thermal mass to take advantage of it's power without overheating. If you remove the size constraint to get better thermal mass, and thus more versatile output options, then you might as well just make something bigger anyway because it's no longer really a pocket light (at least not a comfortable one, in any case).

Enrique

Strange words from the manufacturer of one of the finest CR123 lights ever, and still one of my favorites -- the two-level Nautilus.

Tixx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Could be a cool combo to see this light with a Vinh v3 driver.

Endeavour

Flashlight Enthusiast
Rudi: Heh. I made the Nautilus partly in response to the "CR123 only" comments I heard when I made the CR2 Ion. It's a good light, and without the Nautilus there would be no Aeon.

Notwithstanding, I found the Aeon preferable for carry – it was much more portable and comfortable in a pocket, more than what just the numbers alone would indicate, and I found the Nautilus spent time in my bag instead. In which case, absolute minimal size was less of an issue, and when such constraints are removed, you can create different things than what you would when you're bound to stay tiny.

Small electronics are hard. Small mechanics can be challenging to do right. Small optics have their limitations. But the biggest issue is that if you drive a small light at higher power levels there is little place for that heat to go, and it can cause problems – both in damaging the LED and driver, but also in actually physically burning someone.

Regardless of the "fun" you can get from an ultra-bright item the size of an Aeon or Nautilus, if it ever gets hot enough to actually burn someone, it's trite fluff that renders the device relatively purposeless.

Point being: Post-Nautilus I have spent a great deal of time musing on what an "ideal" CR123 light should look like, and have had some difficulty in finding a balance of size and features that I am happy with. I presently have a "Mk. III" styled Nautilus design complete, without any plans to actually release it, and I expect it will be a long time yet before I actually finish a design around that battery than I'm truly happy with, and you'll see several other things before then.

Enrique

Last edited:

dbla

Newly Enlightened
3128257d3ed4a2087f7ee0b50f1bc171.jpg

Diggin' the aeon in Mexico... Anyone tested the waterproofness? ..... Asking for a friend.

Glofindel

Newly Enlightened
72d4b9f5fbfad92cb2b38eee258c076a.jpg

I'm a fan of small lights and CR2 is the best choice for the size and output.
The Aeon MKIII is by far the favourite of my CR2 lights. The more I use it the more I love it.

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been carrying this little light exclusively for the past 2 weeks. Hard to believe that I've had it 2 weeks! There's been no 'babying'...no, "ooo, it's a shelf queen!" The light dropped into my right pocket (sometimes clipped inside the pocket) with keys and pocket change. You almost don't even know it's there - until you need it. I put an old Duracell Ultra CR2 (I say old - 2017 expiration date) in it after depleting the first battery with my run time tests and that 'new' cell still reads 2.98V. Granted, there's been little use on the highest setting as medium works for most of my needs, but still...

The titanium shows no scratches or marks. It's grippy enough, even with the surface being mostly smooth. The lens reminds me of the crystal on my apple watch - I think you'd have to be deliberate and intentional to scratch it. The clicky is firm and solid, and mode switching is positive and easy.

But the beam....that's the real kicker. I rank it up there with the best beams I've ever seen/owned. Haiku 119 (the original), Haiku 119V, HDS 219B High CRI (current version) Prometheus Alpha with the neutral MCE Emitter, and I have to include the Zebralight SC62w/SC32w. I know all of you could name many others, but these are a few of my favorites.

But I gotta tell you, this light has the beam that I like the most. A "lack" of tint, leaning on the rosy side if you have to categorize it. Enough throw, but a smooth transition from spot to spill.

Granted, $450 is a substantial sum to spend on a small EDC that has modest output, but it all comes back to that term "EDC." IMHO, this light is worth every penny because I DO carry it every day, it's there when I need it, the beam is outstanding, and I know it'll work.

Great job, Enrique.

Last edited:

Endeavour

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice shots, dbla & Glofindel! :thumbsup:

run4jc: Thanks for the kind words again. I'm really happy to see that you're enjoying your Aeon.

A few notes:

1) Mokume Gane & Timascus production is almost complete. See this:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BE6Udh7ReDA/?taken-by=muyshondtent

I'm expecting them early June, and they're available for purchase here:
http://bit.ly/mkmgn

I will be getting resupplied on titanium lights, which are presently out of stock, in early June as well.

2) There's a new project presently underway with another Muyshondt X Ashland collaboration, in a kangaroo Fat Herbie wallet. Those will be available Late May / Early June. Full details will be posted later on Instagram (I don't think there's a proper venue on CPF for discussing it). I am a really big fan of quality leather goods, and I'm looking forward to bringing these wallets, and several new products to you.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BFMfPwxReLu/?taken-by=muyshondtent

3) I am out of town until about the end of the month. All orders placed are still being shipped promptly, but while I try to maintain a ~24 hour shipping window it may take 48-72 while I'm away. Same goes for answering e-mails sent to [email protected]. Everything continues running remotely and smoothly, though! :)

I look forward to continuing to see how all of you use your lights, and also to several of the new projects coming up!

Enrique