The ArmyTek 120 day Challenge!!!

sinnyc

Newly Enlightened
So after 124.5 days, the last Predator has come to the end of its epic runtime.

Summary of events:

122.8 days Predator X dims
123.25 days Predator X off
123.25 days Predator XP-G2 dims
123.5 days Predator XP-G2 off
123.5 days Predator V1.2 dims
124.5 days Predator V1.2 off

This is a very small variation of around only 1% in runtime which is more likely to be due to the individual cells performance rather than the lights themselves.
(Xtar 3100mAh 18650 used for all lights)

The efficiency of the XP-G2 is clear as throughout the entire test this provided more light than the other versions.

I'm really impressed by the near uniformity of the results for all of the Predators.
Thanks for doing this, Subwoofer. Great job! :thumbsup:

- Tim

Wiggle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes normally I see more variation model to model in extreme long runtimes, seems to speak highly of Armyteks circuit design.

BobK

Newly Enlightened
Subwoofer, first I must say kudos to you for performing this test. The offering up of your time, lights, and potentially batteries is part of what makes this community such a wonderful place. Furthermore, it is part of what makes members like yourself such an important addition to said place.

I know that speaking from personal perspective, while I gaze with wonder at all the new and surprisingly bright offerings made by many quality flashlight companies, it is the lower modes that interest me the most in the long run. 120 days is perhaps a bit on the long and low end of the spectrum, but it is precisely the lower levels and longevity of said light availability that is the most useful in an emergency situation. During those short lived needs for a ton of light, most lights will seriously outperform anything that we grew up with. Furthermore, when we are outside, working on the car, mending a fuse, etc... as long as we have a couple of hours of bright light, we are pleased. We have the option of simply changing the batteries (most, if not all of us have at least a few spares, or can "borrow" from a different light if required) and that solves that. But it is when the power fails, we are aiding a search and rescue, or mother nature comes along and demonstrates her unstoppable force that we are faced with the overwhelming unknown of just how long we are to face an existence of no electricity. It is precisely times like these that we are forced to make assumptions and judgments (usually based solely on manufacturer's claims, as most reviewers don't have the time or resources to perform long runtime tests) about just which modes to use. It is nice to know that at least some of the published runtimes are, at the very least somewhere in the ballpark of their claims and that our assumptions of usable light, and the associated length of availability of said light can be relied on. (again, we are talking ballparks here)

Again, kudos to you and thank you for your willingness to share your knowledge with this fine community.

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Subwoofer, first I must say kudos to you for performing this test. The offering up of your time, lights, and potentially batteries is part of what makes this community such a wonderful place. Furthermore, it is part of what makes members like yourself such an important addition to said place.

Thank you for your kind words :)

UPDATE: I've now run the capacity tests to see if the long drawn out draining of the cells used had any negative impact on their performance.

Tests were run at a 2@ load and a cell which had measured the closest in capacity prior to the 120 day challenge was included as a control.

Cell used in:Capacity (mAh) @2A - 2.5V cut-offRunttime @2A
Control Cell28361h24m
Predator X29011h26m
Predator XP-G228631h25m
Predator V1.228321h24m

It would seem that the cells have not suffered at all during this test.

Wiggle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Glad to hear there wasn't measurable damage done to the cell with the long discharge, this thread is all good news :)

HaileStorm

Enlightened
The V1.2 Predator is now out as well as of 11/09/2013 09:00.

The LED was still lit, but again required looking directly into the reflector blocking out all ambient light with my hands.

So in this final state of barely being lit, operating the power switch does re-light the LED (though with about a very slight delay).

Taking the depleted cell (in this case measuring 2.6V) and using this in the Predator X and Predator XP-G2, it will re-light the LED, and again with a very slight delay.

So after 124.5 days, the last Predator has come to the end of its epic runtime.

Summary of events:

122.8 days Predator X dims
123.25 days Predator X off
123.25 days Predator XP-G2 dims
123.5 days Predator XP-G2 off
123.5 days Predator V1.2 dims
124.5 days Predator V1.2 off

This is a very small variation of around only 1% in runtime which is more likely to be due to the individual cells performance rather than the lights themselves.
(Xtar 3100mAh 18650 used for all lights)

The efficiency of the XP-G2 is clear as throughout the entire test this provided more light than the other versions.

What is left to do? Well considering the cells have only been brought down to 2.5-2.6V and only one has had the protection kick in, hopefully they have not been damaged. However it is not good to leave a li-ion at less than 3V for any significant time. If you use a light and trigger the protection, you will charge it again immediately. In this test, the cells could have been at around 2.5V for weeks. I am intending to check the capacity of the cells after a full recharge to see if there is any significant change. Results to be posted when I can.

What a grear test, thanks for taking the time! :) The Predator continues to impress me even after a year of owning it. It remains as my favorite and go-to light in my collection for long trips in which I'll need a rugged light. If only I could edc this light... Can't wait for Armytek to release the Predator V3. I skipped the Pro 2.5 since I have the V2 XP-G2. I wonder what improvements the V3 will have. Would be nice if they call it Mk. III though, sounds much nicer :)

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast
What a grear test, thanks for taking the time! :) The Predator continues to impress me even after a year of owning it. It remains as my favorite and go-to light in my collection for long trips in which I'll need a rugged light. If only I could edc this light... Can't wait for Armytek to release the Predator V3. I skipped the Pro 2.5 since I have the V2 XP-G2. I wonder what improvements the V3 will have. Would be nice if they call it Mk. III though, sounds much nicer :)

Every since I saw and bought one of the Predator V1.2 lights, I was convinced Armytek were one to watch. The Predator V2 XP-G2 (pre 'Pro' and 'standard' versions) and Viking Pro are my go-to single 18650 lights and one or both are kept by the bed for night time wanderings lit by the lowest firefly. I am interested to see what the V3 will be. As long as none of the Predator's key qualities are lost I will be happy, but how much more function can possibly be included!

HaileStorm

Enlightened
Every since I saw and bought one of the Predator V1.2 lights, I was convinced Armytek were one to watch. The Predator V2 XP-G2 (pre 'Pro' and 'standard' versions) and Viking Pro are my go-to single 18650 lights and one or both are kept by the bed for night time wanderings lit by the lowest firefly. I am interested to see what the V3 will be. As long as none of the Predator's key qualities are lost I will be happy, but how much more function can possibly be included!

I have a lot of faith in the brand. Their video of the V1 sold me a Pred. I was really amazed how the bezel actually functions (shown by the guy digging on pavement using the strike bezel) and how they shot it and threw it around! After purchasing the V2, I was amazed by the programmability of the light.

Few improvements they could make to the Pred (I hope Armytek is listening) are:

1. I wish the light could tailstand without the anti-roll ring. Maybe like the tailcap of the Nitecore SRT3 with a slightly taller clicky?
2. A menu system/UI that would confirm that your setting has been saved.
3. A different low battery warning so we can tell it from the temperature warning.
4. a better beacon mode (preferably a programmable one); a very brief flash that is spaced 2 seconds apart would be more useful (somewhat like those wingtip lights on airplane wings). Well, just make it programmable like the strobe frequency :-D
5. Square-cut threads at the head? Or is the current cut more durable?
6. In the battery voltage indicator, instead of having a long pause to indicate the decimal figure, I think a rapid flash (like a brief strobe) would be clearer. Let's say my voltage is 3.8v, the light would blink 3 times and strobe to indicate the decimal and then blink 8 times.

Don't get me wrong, the Predator is already perfect as it is. But there's always room for even a slight improvement. These are minor quibbles but these would make the light absolutely perfect, imho.

Sorry to be a little off topic, not sure if this post is appropriate for your thread. Hope you don't mind :)

Last edited: