The best car mounted spotlights available

Status
Not open for further replies.

viper37

Newly Enlightened
That's incorrect on all counts,

As I've said before, I have ordered the reflectors by themselves. I order them through Fibertech which orders Hella parts directly from Hella, not a distributor. Please don't tell me what I am and am not doing, I am quite certain the little chrome bowls that I keep getting in the mail and putting into housings with broken bowls are in fact identical. I may have done this a few times, after all I do own an offroad shop.

As for watching my mouth, how am I in the wrong? His posts are always of a condescending and holier-then-thou nature, I'm simply returning that. I'm certainly not trying to be disrespectful, however it is difficult to remain so when such attitudes are held as acceptable.

Last edited:

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
As I've said before

OK, but Hella doesn't agree with your recollection of what you ordered. Just for fun I dug back through the revisions to the Rallye 4000 part and subcomponent family clear back to its introduction, and the reflectors have in fact never, ever been available as a separate service part without the lens.

I order them through Fibertech which orders Hella parts directly from Hella

I log directly into Hella's databases in the US, Germany, and Australia, so I'm pretty comfortable with the solidity of my information.

Please don't tell me what I am and am not doing

I am telling you you'll be doing no further flaming, baiting, or trolling -- stop it now or you may find yourself taking some involuntary time out from this forum to rethink how you behave here.

I do own an offroad shop.

I don't know you or your shop, but your offering this up as some kind of support for your assertions does put me in the position of having to state that some of the least-accurate lighting "information" I have seen/heard has come from owners and staffers of offroad/4x4 and "speed" shops.

I am quite certain the little chrome bowls that I keep getting in the mail and putting into housings with broken bowls are in fact identical.

An incorrect assertion remains incorrect no matter how often you repeat it, and lamp reflectors do not involve chrome and are generally not very prone to breakage.

As for watching my mouth, how am I in the wrong?

Re-read the rules as many times as it takes for understanding to dawn. Pay particular attention to rules #4 and #8.

Last edited:

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
As I've said before, I have ordered the reflectors by themselves. I order them through Fibertech which orders Hella parts directly from Hella, not a distributor. Please don't tell me what I am and am not doing, I am quite certain the little chrome bowls that I keep getting in the mail and putting into housings with broken bowls are in fact identical. I may have done this a few times, after all I do own an offroad shop.
Chrome? You're not getting Hella if you're getting chrome bowls. The reflective surface is vapor-deposited aluminum (atomic number 13), not chromium (atomic number 24). A reflector with a chrome surface could never come close to the performance of a reflector with a vapor-deposited aluminum surface.

Again, the actual shape of the reflector for a halogen light source is necessarily different from the shape of an arc-discharge light source, considering the different characteristics of those two light sources (a filament has a single hotspot in its center; an arc has two hotspots at the electrodes). The difference may not be so easy to spot with the naked eye (or perhaps nearly impossible to do so), but there IS a difference, and therefore two different part numbers, which I see have been provided by Scheinwerfermann.

As for watching my mouth, how am I in the wrong? His posts are always of a condescending and holier-then-thou nature, I'm simply returning that. I'm certainly not trying to be disrespectful, however it is difficult to remain so when such attitudes are held as acceptable.

I don't believe I'm displaying a holier-than-thou attitude, I believe I'm simply presenting the facts. When I see people giving advice that can result in property damage, personal injury, or death, however, I try to respond with information in an effort to prevent such things. Having correct information and offering good advice is not trolling. Were that the case, Scheinwerfermann would need to invest in some solar cells to keep his deep-cycle batteries topped off, since he'd be the king of trolls.

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
An illegal product you say? Only if used on the road, and considering that desert racing takes place in well, the DESERT it is completely and absolutely legal. I'm well aware of all the issues created by using a plug and play kit on the road and in a conventional headlamp; they do not apply in this instance. (Beam pattern, cutoff, reflector/bowl shape)

The illegality is inherent in the HID 'kit' itself (they are "illegal per se"), irrespective of the use of them. It doesn't matter whether it's installed in a road-going vehicle or a Little Tykes Cozy Coupe, as they are designed to allow an HID capsule to be installed in a lamp that is designed only to accept a particular halogen bulb (in the case of the Hella 4000, the H1, which uses a P14.5S base). There are no arc-discharge replaceable light sources using a P14.5S base, therefore, an arc-discharge burner would have to be rebased to fit where the H1 would go. There are no provisions in the law for "intended use", and the "for off-road use only" disclaimers on vendor sites have no legal meaning.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
This thread is now far afield from the topic and is beginning to morph into a flame war. For that reason, it is now closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.