The Best Casing/ Housing for DVD Burner Lasers

Kenom

Enlightened
shouldn't make a difference which module you buy. it just makes it a bit harder to hold it still. the smaller module doesn't have the plug at the bottom for using thermal epoxy on to hold it in place. then you just need to use those plastic rings like in the elly to hold it in place

Kenom

Enlightened
have you already ordered it or is it still waiting to be shipped. Cause you can change your order with Aixiz.

Comidt

Newly Enlightened
It's already here.
So will the Mini Dorcy definitely work?
How will I secure the diode if i can't glue it in?
The Dorcy takes CR123's right?
How do you think the Dorcy 1 AA would work?
Thanks
Jonno

Gazoo

Enlightened
Why not order one or two of the larger ones and be done with it. I am sure you will find a use for the smaller ones later on.

Kenom

Enlightened
the mini dorcy for sure works as seen in my walkthrough. I'm not sure how your going to mount it other than using the plastic rings from cd-r spindles
the dorcy mini does indeed take 1 cr123.

I won't even use the dorcy 1AA cause it doesn't have enough power to drive the diode.

and gazoo was saying just go ahead and order the larger Aixiz modules and not use the one you've got for this project. You will at some point find a use for the other module.

Comidt

Newly Enlightened
the mini dorcy for sure works as seen in my walkthrough. I'm not sure how your going to mount it other than using the plastic rings from cd-r spindles
the dorcy mini does indeed take 1 cr123.

I won't even use the dorcy 1AA cause it doesn't have enough power to drive the diode.

and gazoo was saying just go ahead and order the larger Aixiz modules and not use the one you've got for this project. You will at some point find a use for the other module.

OK, thanks Kenom now I understand.
On LPF I read that you and Senkat were working on making it focusable via the focus ring, or is that the focus ring of the module, not the light?
In other words, can you focus it while the laser is on and aiming at something while focusing.
dorcymod.jpg

This or That?
Thanks
Jonno

Kenom

Enlightened
Hahaha, that. We were working on making it focusable by the ring (that) SenKat's original design called for it being mounted a lot lower then mine is. by havning the module up higher it makes it so I can put the nice plastic up top and make it aesthetically pleasing and still allow for focusing without having to reach your fingers in 2 inches down.

Yes the laser can be focused with the laser ON. As a matter of fact it makes it much easier to focus with it on than off cause you have no idea how far you've focused it until you shine it on something and with it on you can do it quickly.

Comidt

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, that's what I hoped for.
I was just checking, cause you don't really want your fingers in the way of that...:poof::crackup:

So what I need to buuy extra is the bigger Aixiz module and a Dorcy Mini.
Kenom, if I sent you the money, could you buy one for me and ship it out via some cheap shipping? I can't get them here and I haven't seen them online anywhere. Just tell me the price including shipping and I could Paypal it to you...
Thanks
JOnno

Comidt

Newly Enlightened
I'm in Port Elizabeth, South Africa...
No Target all Walmart here I'm afraid...
Jonno

Kenom

Enlightened
I'm in Port Elizabeth, South Africa...
No Target all Walmart here I'm afraid...
Jonno

Ok, here's the scoop. if you want me to purchase one and ship it to you I can and will. From target the costs is $19.99us I do not know what shipping would be but I will charge you the real amount for shipping no handling charge tacked on! One other option you have that you can choose is to purchase it online here. He does ship internationally. The one disadvantage being his cost for the flashlight is higher than I can get it for. So looking at the choices you have, I will work with you if you do decide to buy it from me and have it shipped to you!

One other thing. You can put your finger in the laser with it on and focus it no problem without your finger going :poof: or even being burned or scorched or even stung. The focal point will never get that close!

just so I've got the picture I love it I'm going to add a beating a dead horse picture! :dedhorse:

Comidt

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Kenom,
I went onto his website and got a shipping estimate: $87.67 Is he NUTS???????
Why on EARTH would someone pay sooooo much to ship it?
He could just put it in something like First Class or Something for $10.
Crazy!.
Kenom, sent a PM

Kenom

Enlightened
Re: Batteries?

you do not want to use rechargables. they put out 4.6v when freshly recharged and you will fry the circuit. that is how I killed my first nerfaser! You can buy cr123's here for a $1 a peice

Comidt

Newly Enlightened

you do not want to use rechargables. they put out 4.6v when freshly recharged and you will fry the circuit. that is how I killed my first nerfaser! You can buy cr123's here for a $1 a peice
Oh, OK, I guess I will have to make a bulk order to supply me.
How long, about do these DVD lasrs last???
Thanks ALOT!
Jonno

Kenom

Enlightened

if you don't overdrive the diode and make it with sufficient cooling then it will last a long time. Years potentially!

Comidt

Newly Enlightened

OK Thanks.
And how long do they run on a CR123 battery?
Thanks

Gazoo

Enlightened

I've never needed to change the battery yet!

Hi Kenom,
Do you know how much voltage and or current is being supplied to the diode from the driver? I think I recall you saying you thought you were getting around 100mw out, so depending on the diode you are possibly supplying it with around 200ma. of current. I realize it depends on the diode and each diode has its own personality.

I am thinking since the diodes we are receiving from the GB are more efficient than the typical diode we are accustomed to working with, it might be the perfect candidate for the Dorcy mini. Most diodes we work with have an input to output ratio of around 2:1, where as the diodes we are receiving from the GB are closer to 3:2. I know these are approximate ratios, but it has me looking more forward to the diodes.