The definitive Malkoff Hound Dog Super thread

jrgold

Enlightened
Seriously laughed out loud! [emoji23]

Martin let me know if you start selling the extension tubes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cree XHP 70 LED

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone have beam shots of the Hound Dog Super Cool vs the Hound Dog Super Neutral? Thinking about maybe adding a cool to the mix.

DocJ

Newly Enlightened
What has you thinking of adding a cool? Because, I'm pretty sure you were talking me into the neutral. lol

Cree XHP 70 LED

Newly Enlightened
What has you thinking of adding a cool? Because, I'm pretty sure you were talking me into the neutral. lol

If I were to only get one, it would be the neutral no doubt. I bought the neutral Hound Dog Super, neutral Wildcat V6, and the neutral MD2 (with the M61N) as my first 3 Malkoff lights. I only bought the MDC SHO in 6200K because it was not available in 4000K.

I am going to buy the new Wildcat when it is released if it looks interesting and I can get it in 4000K. At the same time I will buy a cool Hound Dog Super and most likely a E2XT and 16650 body. I actually have the last cool Hound Dog Super with tri-cap in my cart now, but decided to wait and get them all at once. Maybe 3 more lights and some spare parts too when the new Wildcat is released.

So in short, I still highly recommend the Neutral Hound Dog Super. I just want more Malkoffs basically and am picky. However, I would not want a Wildcat V6 in 6200K that light in 4000K is perfect for my night hikes I do almost every night. 6200K would be too hard on my eyes.

(Throwers can be cooler tints for me and not be as hard on my eyes)

Last edited:

jrgold

Enlightened
If I could only pick one light it would be a wildcat with the warmer tint. The high cri with the warm glow makes everything around you pop. It's just a beautiful light with consistent output. Throwers become much more subjective to me. I like how green colors render with a cooler emitter. Reds and browns not so much. Cooler just seems brighter, but it doesn't mean you can separate colors better. They also add a lot of backscatter to a misty night.

The hound dog super is a bit of a different thrower. The hotspot is so large it's almost like a flood you can throw at a distance. Tbh I can see further with my cooler tint thrunite catapult v6, but the hotspot is much smaller. Same with the e2xtd. I really like the neutral hound dog super because it really feels like you can throw a lot of light very far tho. With the warmer tint you can separate a lot more details in that large hotspot.

jrgold

Enlightened
Are you choosing the Wildcat here just from a tint perspective, or also because you tend to use a floody light more than a thrower?

Yes, it wasn't a fair comparison because I use a more floody light more often than a thrower. Throwers are still really fun tho

NutSAK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, it wasn't a fair comparison because I use a more floody light more often than a thrower. Throwers are still really fun tho

The reason I ask is that I use a floody light most of the time as well, but I would never pick a floody light as my only light. Why, you might ask? Because you can always have a thrower and easily convert it to floody, but not vice-versa. I would pick a Hound Dog if I had to choose one, and apply DC Fix if I wanted flood. Even better, a Hound Dog with two lenses (clear and diffused) that I could swap out.

That reminds me. I have an extra Hound Dog and a sheet of DC fix...

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
So....I was just playing with the extensions I have laying around, some I made, some I bought.....Let me present (drum roll please)....

MD13 with Hound Dog Super. Obviously I didn't put batteries in it or try to turn it on (maybe change it to an MD12 and use 6xAAs....that could work...)

LongHoundDogSuperTapeMeasure.png

LongHoundDogSuper.png

whut? What am I lookin' at here? LOL! Very funny. Now load it with CR123's and FIRE IT UP!

(NASA reports that members of the International Space Station can see a glow from Greenville SC)

jp_over

Newly Enlightened
Anyone notice decreased cell life with the 3 x 18650 configuration? I've got about 200 charge cycles through mine with the following details:

• KeepPower 18650 3500ma Li-ion Protected Cell (purchased new in Nov 2019)
  • XTAR DRAGON VP4 Plus Smart Charger, default settings

• almost nightly use farm light
  • 5-10 minutes per use, sometimes 20 minutes off and on
  • 10 months overall battery age

I'm currently noticing a power / brightness decrease more quickly these days.

Last edited:

dotCPF

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm inclined to think that's just a result of recharging them that many cycles, especially if you are just constantly topping off. How often do you recharge them? Even the great LG MJ1 starts to show drops in performance around 300 recharge cycles.

jp_over

Newly Enlightened
I'm inclined to think that's just a result of recharging them that many cycles, especially if you are just constantly topping off. How often do you recharge them? Even the great LG MJ1 starts to show drops in performance around 300 recharge cycles.

Thanks for the feedback. I charge 4-5 times per week generally from 70-80%. Perhaps I should discharge a bit further before recharging?

dotCPF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the feedback. I charge 4-5 times per week generally from 70-80%. Perhaps I should discharge a bit further before recharging?

Yes I would absolutely discharge them further. That is hard use, and will wear out your cells quick, I would be that's why you are seeing this behavior. If you have a charger that can analyze/ discharge test them, I would try a refresh cycle for sure on those cells. They are still pretty new (despite the marathon) so you should be able to recover a good amount of lost performance, assuming they legitimate cells like the LG MJ1 or NCRGA.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting. It's hard to quantify the runtime unless you time it.

I run it on 3x18650's. It's nice. Picked it up again tonight. What a beast. It feels like a $1,000 Surefire. You are holding a vehicle headlight in your hands.

Latest posts