The elusive smart charger for Sanyo Eneloop AA/AAA batts

~seagull~

Newly Enlightened

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
Years ago I purchased an 'IMPACT" brand travel charger from B&H photo. It came with some cheap batteries. It has a fold out plug and individual monitoring. It says for 1-4 batteris. It is a fast charger and my eneloops get pretty hot with it. I only use it as a compact travel charger. Otherwise at home I use a Maha.

dusty99

Newly Enlightened
I have that Sanyo. As ECR said, it's a good one. The real issue is that when I travel I may burn through 2-4 batteries in my camera and 4-8 in my underwater flash daily, so charging two at a time for the next day makes little sense. That's why I recommended a faster 4-place charger like the Sony BCG34HREKN. It's fast, but not too fast, charges individually, and does four at a time.

Al Thumbs

Newly Enlightened
Questions about Eneloops and chargers for them

Greetings, CPF denizens,

I am at amazed at the depth of interest and knowledge here on the subject of flashlights, and have learned a lot from recent lurking. I have ordered a Zebra 1xAA headlamp for an upcoming trip, and I'd like to ask a few questions about rechargeable cells.

I use AA cells around the house for the computer mouse, bluetooth keyboard, electric toothbrush, various remote controls, toys and smoke detectors. I see that Eneloops are very popular here.
  1. Eneloops seem easy to find on the web; what's a good price for a cell?
  2. Are there re-branded Eneloops available? I've seen the term "Duraloop" here.
  3. Who is a trusted seller? Who's got good deals? Who to avoid?
  4. What charger do I need? Many here seem to use the Maha C9000. It's around fifty bucks, the price of a LOT of single-use cells. If I didn't buy the Maha, what's the next step down? What about the Eneloop bundled chargers?
  5. Do Eneloops come in AAA?
Lotsa questions. Thanks in advance.
Al T.

tickled

Newly Enlightened
Re: Questions about Eneloops and chargers for them

Assuming you're in USA:

1. I'd say $2.50/AA cell ($10/4-pack) and $2/AAA cell ($8/4-pack) for second generation "Eneloop 1500" is a fair standard price. If you can find sales to get the price under $2 per AA/$1.50 per AAA, you'd be doing good.

2. Duracell Pre-Charged/StayCharged batteries made in Japan are re-brands. As are Sony CycleEnergy LSD batteries. The overpriced Apple branded batteries are also suspected re-brands. There are others.

3. Amazon sells 8-packs for $20 and offer free shipping. There are plenty of other retailers selling for the same price.

4. If you don't want to pay for a luxury charger like the C9000, I'd look at what's available on a certain auction site and buy one of the bundled quick charger and battery packs available from Asian or European sellers. North American kits are not sold with quick chargers.

5. Yes, for slightly less than the cost of AA size.

hellokitty[hk]

Enlightened

2. Duracell Pre-Charged/StayCharged batteries made in Japan are re-brands. As are Sony CycleEnergy LSD batteries. The overpriced Apple branded batteries are also suspected re-brands. There are others.
Only the white top ones.

dc38

Flashlight Enthusiast
On the east coast of the yoosah. In the place wher

Greetings, CPF denizens,

I am at amazed at the depth of interest and knowledge here on the subject of flashlights, and have learned a lot from recent lurking. I have ordered a Zebra 1xAA headlamp for an upcoming trip, and I'd like to ask a few questions about rechargeable cells.

I use AA cells around the house for the computer mouse, bluetooth keyboard, electric toothbrush, various remote controls, toys and smoke detectors. I see that Eneloops are very popular here.
  1. Eneloops seem easy to find on the web; what's a good price for a cell?
  2. Are there re-branded Eneloops available? I've seen the term "Duraloop" here.
  3. Who is a trusted seller? Who's got good deals? Who to avoid?
  4. What charger do I need? Many here seem to use the Maha C9000. It's around fifty bucks, the price of a LOT of single-use cells. If I didn't buy the Maha, what's the next step down? What about the Eneloop bundled chargers?
  5. Do Eneloops come in AAA?
Lotsa questions. Thanks in advance.
Al T.

In response to all of your questions; provided there is a Costco wholesale nearby and you can get your hands on a membership, hop on in! I managed to get my hands on a bundle package of 4 cell charger with 8AA's and 4AAA's for around 20$ after tax (for whatever reason prices differ where you go. mine were on sale from the original 26$)

Jackasper

Enlightened

The Eneloop chargers work great for someone in your position (just getting into rechargeables). I used my 4 bay charger for quite a while untill I decided to start monitoring each individual cell. At that point I had to get a different charger that would charge individual cells rather than pairs of cells. Thus, my only gripe about the Eneloop chargers (to my knowledge) is that they only charge in pairs and not individually. Again, this is to my knowledge... Also, +1 on Costco's deal.

ikeyballz

Newly Enlightened

How many batteries are you looking to be using at once? I recommend the wall charging 2 port or the USB 2 port charger + batteries if you're not using too many AAs. They're individually monitoring chargers.

Erzengel

Enlightened

There are many different Eneloop chargers from Sanyo, which are available in bundles with batteries for a decent price (at least here in Germany). Only the MQN04 is a bad charger, because it charges every battery for 16 hours, no matter what the charge state of the battery is.
http://www.eneloop.info/products/chargers.html
There are more sophisticated chargers with battery maintenance functions, but if You reduce the lifetime of one Eneloop by 200 charging cycles because of lacking maintenance, You just loose 25 cent per battery. Therefore an expensive charger must save many batteries until it's worth the investment.

Al Thumbs

Newly Enlightened

How many batteries are you looking to be using at once? I recommend the wall charging 2 port or the USB 2 port charger + batteries if you're not using too many AAs. They're individually monitoring chargers.

Will likely be rotating 16 cells through various devices, but not rapidly.

Al T.

zenbeam

Enlightened

The Eneloop chargers work great for someone in your position (just getting into rechargeables). I used my 4 bay charger for quite a while untill I decided to start monitoring each individual cell. At that point I had to get a different charger that would charge individual cells rather than pairs of cells. Thus, my only gripe about the Eneloop chargers (to my knowledge) is that they only charge in pairs and not individually. Again, this is to my knowledge... Also, +1 on Costco's deal.

If I may piggy-back in an eneloop question of my own ;

I have the 4 bay eneloop charger that requires you to charge in pairs. But to what extent, if any, is it necessary that the pair be "equally discharged"? In other words, can I pair up a nearly depleted eneloop with one that is say only 50% depleted and charge them until the indicators shows them both as charged?

Magic Matt

Enlightened

I have the C9000 charger. It was WELL worth the money. I can say with absolute certainty that it has more than paid for itself in the number of batteries I've saved, which previously were being slowly damaged by cheap chargers I'd previously been using, and also in apparently "knackered" cells that running a couple of cycles has magically recovered. I may buy a second C9000 even though it's expensive, as I don't trust other chargers to do the job right any more.

tam17

Enlightened

As an answer to OP's question #4:
the only worthy bundled charger is MQR06, it has quick and standard charge option and it charges cells individually (mix of AA/AAA is possible), check out its specs against the other Sanyo chargers. Battery maintenance feature is nice to have, but your Eneloops will feel just as good if you discharge them occasionally in your flashlight and charge them fully afterwards.

Al Thumbs

Newly Enlightened

tam 17, the only non-ebay source is Amazon, which lists one bundle with the carger and 4 XX
Eneloops. Is that a fair price? And can I use the XX cells in common applications, like a Zebralight 1xAA headlamp?

Al Thumbs

Newly Enlightened

I have the C9000 charger. It was WELL worth the money. I can say with absolute certainty that it has more than paid for itself in the number of batteries I've saved, which previously were being slowly damaged by cheap chargers I'd previously been using, and also in apparently "knackered" cells that running a couple of cycles has magically recovered. I may buy a second C9000 even though it's expensive, as I don't trust other chargers to do the job right any more.

That's a convincing testimonial. I feel like I'll have to become educated on cell charging. I don't really know much about it.

Al T.

Wrend

Enlightened

I picked up a second MH-C9000 not all that long ago myself, to "work" on more cells at once.

For general charging, the main advantage of the C9000 is that it charges cells individually, so that they're charged the right amount, and more evenly so that when they're used together, they also discharge more evenly. This goes a long way to maintain the life potential of your cells.

To put things in perspective, one Eneloop AA cell equals about 1000 name brand alkaline AA cells in cumulative lifetime capacity potential, but of course to get the most from them you have to take good care of them.

dc38

Flashlight Enthusiast
On the east coast of the yoosah. In the place wher

If I may piggy-back in an eneloop question of my own ;

I have the 4 bay eneloop charger that requires you to charge in pairs. But to what extent, if any, is it necessary that the pair be "equally discharged"? In other words, can I pair up a nearly depleted eneloop with one that is say only 50% depleted and charge them until the indicators shows them both as charged?

I'll give it a shot and get back to you, Zen. I've been curious myself, I just don't want the charger to turn out being dumb and overcharging one 50% cell just to bring a 10% cell up to par...But being as we are CPF, I'm willing to take that risk :X If it doesn't work, send me a new cell please! lol